PRS SE 277 Baritone Test

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by T_Yarbreaux, May 7, 2016.

1. T_Yarbreaux

T_Yarbreaux Supporting Member

Hey folks,

I saw a little bit of buzz on here about PRS releasing a couple of Baritones - I got my hands on the semi-hollow one with the P90's, and it is KILLER. Here's a couple YT Clips of her in action; I've had it less than 24 hours and it's already shaping up to be a complete blast to play. I got it on a good deal via Reverb (Dave's Guitar Shop specifically)

Some thoughts: Once you get to playing, you kind of forget about the extra scale length - This one came set up really well, so thay may be a factor.

I had planned on changing out the stock P90's with something upon arrival, but they really are fantastic; I haven't spent a ton of time on the bridge pickup though.

Holds tuning really well, and the clarity really holds up (Especially in the drummer vid, where it always cuts through really well).

Gear for the solo guitar vid is through an Egnater Tweaker with a Line 6 M9 supplying the delay/ambience, and for the drum video I was running through my students Fender Bassman and some kind of Digitech Delay.

Enjoy!

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Very tasteful playing, and the new guitar sounds great. Hmmm... Just might need to pick up one of these at some point.

3. T_Yarbreaux

Thanks! I've never owned a proper PRS to know how vast the differences are, but this thing feels really well built.

4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

@T_Yarbreaux
    This guitar has my interest.
    Looking for something new.
    Thanks for sharing. ( Nice demo)
    Have you played the other model? Solid body?

5. kombi1976

kombi1976 Member

Very nice. I found the same thing with a baritone guitar my brother built for me. It's 28.5" scale but I found it feels just a tad longer, not for instance as bad as going from a SG to Tele when playing a song with a ton of 9ths in it like "Message In A Bottle".

6. Tehillah

Tehillah Silver Supporting Member

Enjoyable. Thanks, Man!

7. T_Yarbreaux

Hey Steve, Thanks! I have not played the solidbody model, but I think it's geared more towards heavier players. I'm sure you could put some low output HB's in there and really get a wider swath of sounds, but this thing just really works in clean territory. I've honestly not spent much time on the bridge PU to really qualify much info on it. You should definitely try one out! You really forget about the scale length after a while.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

9. Befuddled

Befuddled Supporting Member

Nice! I've been binge watching all the reviews for this PRS after I forgot about it for a couple months. What I want to know is how it compares to the other, albeit few, baritones on the market. Eastwood SideJack baritone especially, as it is also a p90 baritone guit with a moserite solid body style.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  10. Steve Hotra

Good question.
    Anyone care to chime in about the Eastwood?

11. Kaji

Kaji Member

Excellent playing, OP.

When PRS announced the semi-hollow baritone, I definitely sat up and took notice. If I wasn't so content with the Mike Mushok Baritone I'd probably go for the SE 277, solid or hollow.

Again, excellent playing. It's good to hear a baritone being used for something subtle. :)

12. T_Yarbreaux

Thanks for the comments! I also was super interested when I heard they were announced - I cannot compare them to the Eastwoods because I've never played one, but I did play a danelectro bari for a while at a store I taught at, and this one is far more "playable" as far as the scale length is concerned. Also, yes Rod it's tuned B to B. I will occasionally do Drop D (Or Drop A I suppose in this case) and I found that I can get a tremendous amount of versatility of it by capoing around - Capo 2 still puts it far below standard, but it's a little less muddy and more friendly big fat chords.

Kaji - I'm not sure which Mushok bari you're talking about - his PRS one or the old Ibanez MMM1, but the MMM1 definitely is apples and oranges; just a different feel. I feel like compared to his PRS model, this one definitely has more girth to it. I really want to get my hands on the non-semi bari they have with humbuckers!

Kaji likes this.
  13. Steve Hotra

I just ordered the SE 277 sunburst!
    Looking forward to getting in into my stable of guitars.

Kaji likes this.
  14. Kaji

Kaji Member

Lol, how could I forget the MMM1.

I did indeed have his PRS in mind. I have two, tuned to drop-A and drop-G#.

Along with the semi-hollow body, I reckon the bevelled top on the 277 would have a great feel to it.

15. Steve Hotra

I am buying the semi hollow 277 sight unseen from GC.
    Never owned a baritone.
    But I like the sounds I have heard all over the web.
    And I am used to playing bass guitar.
    Mine should be here in a week.

16. T_Yarbreaux

Yeah, it is really is hard to put down! And if you capo it at the 5th fret, you essentially have a nice p90 guitar that still plays great/has nice intonation. I'm really impressed with the build quality in these lower end PRSes.

Steve, you'll have to post some clips once you get it! It's really a whole new vibe that is hard to explain - I "think" much more like a bassist when it comes to grooves/keeping a bassline going under chords; much more about the chords and groove as opposed to a straight melody. But with some distortion, the single note stuff really sings beautifully.

Kaji and Steve Hotra like this.
  17. Steve Hotra

@T_Yarbreaux.
    I had a chance to do a rough youtube clip.
    I need to get better at recording / downloading songs, etc.
    Here's my short video:

Kaji likes this.
  18. T_Yarbreaux

Very nice Steve! I think you video really shows off the hollowbody qualities of the sound. It makes me wanna mic up the guitar itself alongside the amp next time I do some recording, to capture that a bit more.

Steve Hotra likes this.
  19. Michael R/T

Michael R/T Member

Well done, very enjoyable to listen to. :aok

20. Befuddled

Befuddled Supporting Member

Well, after watching and waiting on reverb etc I snagged a 2015 277 semi hollow for a good price! Can't wait for it to come in so I can join the club of 277 owners! Having never owned a baritone guitar, I'm curious: what strings do y'all use?

Steve Hotra likes this.