PRS SE Custom 24

nastynate

I found a used PRS SE Custom 24 at my local guitar shop and really liked it, but I wanted to do a bit of research to make sure I was getting a reasonable deal. In the process I have confused myself as there are so many variations on this guitar and no consolidated source of info (it doesn't even match the one on the PRS site). The one I was looking at had a flamed top, bird inlays, binding on the neck and a strat-type selector switch....others I see online have some permutation of these features.

Any help or information about these guitars would be appreciated.

BeardoCI

If it has birds, it's relatively recent. What colour is it? Sometimes they do limited runs of certain colours, can help nail it down (e.g. my Trampas Green quilt is a 2015 limited-run)

BeardoCI

Cherry sunburst flame with a bound neck sounds like it might be a 30th Anniversary model. Are the birds all different, or all the same with a double inlay at the 12th?

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I don't recall seeing any SE Custom 24's with a Strat selector switch though. Most have the 3 way toggle. The Strat selector type switch is on some other models (my Studio has one) but it's usually only models with 3 pickups.

_pete_

Silver Supporting Member
I don't recall seeing any SE Custom 24's with a Strat selector switch though. Most have the 3 way toggle. The Strat selector type switch is on some other models (my Studio has one) but it's usually only models with 3 pickups.
They got the blade switch in 2012 at the same time they got the beveled top.

The model the OP is talking about was a special run for GC I believe. I saw one there that was cherry sunburst with a wide flamed top with cream binding on the neck and headstock.
It was very, very nice looking. I nearly bought it but had to remind myself that I really didn't need it. That wasn't easy.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Some retailers had special SE Custom 24's done up with neck binding, like Guitar Center. It's probably one of those.
EDIT: I just noticed that the OP is probably talking about the regular SE custom 24. My post is about the Floyd Model.

Yes, I think the binding models were a special run for Guitar Center.
I currently own two of these, one with binding, one without.

The one with Binding has the about the slimmest neck profile I've ever felt on a guitar. If is yardstick thin but with the regular wide nut width.

The non-binding model has a slim neck profile but not as thin as the binding model.

Another difference seems to be the top. If you read the specs on the binding model it says it has a qulted maple top: http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/SE-...r-Gray-Black-Ebony-Fretboard-1396881823619.gc

If you read the specs on the non-binding models it says the top is a flame maple veneer: http://www.prsguitars.com/se_floyd_custom24/

These are amazing guitars for the money. I got my binding model used from the emporium for $400 and got the non-binding model brand new for $499.
These are my main gigging guitars. My Les Pauls now sit under the bed.

Here's my two:

Last edited:

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
They got the blade switch in 2012 at the same time they got the beveled top.

The model the OP is talking about was a special run for GC I believe. I saw one there that was cherry sunburst with a wide flamed top with cream binding on the neck and headstock.
It was very, very nice looking. I nearly bought it but had to remind myself that I really didn't need it. That wasn't easy.
Gotcha. Good to know. I guess I hadn't really paid attention since the beveled tops came out. I have a SE Custom 24 the last year with the flat tops. After a pickup upgrade I like it just as much as my other PRS's. In fact it's my favorite neck in any guitar I own. The shape and carve is perfect for me.

nastynate

guitargeezer, I ended up buying the one at the shop yesterday on my lunch break. It was priced extremely similarly to the one you're selling. Thanks, though.

Trending Topics