PRS SE Custom?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigroy, Dec 6, 2005.

1. bigroy

bigroy Member

While out shopping for that elusive lightweight strat, I ran across some info on a PRS SE Custom. While it's certainly not top of the line, I might have a use for a Humbucker equipped guitar like this. Has anyone played one of these?

Opinions?

2. webe123

webe123 Member

There is a guy on Harmony Central that got one from a local Guitar Center and posted pics...but he said it was the only one the store had! They do not seem to be online from what I have heard....mabye they are just now getting them out to stores? Who knows?

I do know that I am DEFINATELY trying one out and if it plays as good as it looks, that thing is gonna be mine one way or another.

3. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

A friend works for Guitar Center and tells me they have 2 cherry sunburst on their way to his store. He's going to call me when they come in and If I like them I'll order a Grey Black with the stop tailpiece. Is it me or does the grey black color look purple?

4. mischultz

mischultz Member

Played one briefly at the Marietta (NW Atlanta) GC. Solidly and pleasingly put together as are all of the SEs. My only quibble was that the neck felt more wide/thin than wide/fat which is what's listed on the PRS site and definitely more toward my preference. It was the sunburst, which seemed maybe a little too cherry, if that makes sense. The black one could be pretty sharp depending on what it's like in person.

Best,

Michael

5. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

I played a PRS SE Custom at the G.C. yesterday and it didn't really float my boat. Just felt a little cheapish. I didn't even plug it in as it just didn't inspire me to do so. I'm sure some are better that others though.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

Found one today at GC in Indy. $479 not including the gig bag. I took the plunge. They had it setup and intonated,and it plays great. It is resonant and stays in tune.

It does look nice, it has a great dark cherry sunburst, unlike the "mustard and ketchup" look some of the catalogs were displaying. The trem is smooth and the pickups sound nice and glassy without being overly bright.

I can never really fall in love with one till I play it out live, so I'll follow up with a review after Friday night's gig.

7. bigroy

bigroy Member

Played 3 gigs with it now. I got to the first gig, and played it as equipped. It had 9's and they were way too slinky for me. But the tone was good and the guitar played great and stayed in tune.

I did two more gigs, lastly being New Years Eve. I love this cheap little guitar. I put a set of 10's on it, and it works like a champ. Nice glassy top end on both pups. Kick in the OCD and it snarls and chirps harmonically on command. The tremelo is smooth and tight, and holds tune well while bending strings.

I've spent $479 and got a heck of a lot less in the last 40 years. And I actually found a salesperson a GC that knows their stuff, and gave me great service. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good playing and sounding guitar at any price. I'd like to try out the hardtail version as well.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I tried one and found it to be somewhat disappointing. Though I tend to like PRS guitars, there are other instruments in that price range (e.g., Schecter) that I'd consider before the SE Custom. My gripe isn't so much with the playability or craftsmanship as with the cost-cutting measures they took in design details and hardware, esp. the trem.

That said, I found it to be a very playable guitar with very good neck pickup tones. I didn't have much use for the bridge pickup. It somehow managed to be both harsh and anemic to my ear. :(

That's part of the deal with guitars in that price range. You can find ones that are brilliant while others are just meh.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

10. Praline

Praline Member

Couldn't you get a USA Hamer used around this price? I might check out that option as well.

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Truthfully, you can find a Hamer USA FM flattop in that price range used (a little bit more than $500 maybe) that'll knock you out. I have owned 3 over the years and would go that route personally.

No knock on the SE though - they'll sell a million of them and it is a great idea.

12. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

fwiw, I've never played a Hamer with a neck that I liked nearly as much as the SE's. The SE neck seems just about perfect, for me anyway

/rick

13. bigroy

bigroy Member

Having been a Hamer dealer way back in the mid 80's, I have nothing but respect for their guitars. But with the tremelo and the weight, which for me was another issue, I prefer the SE.

I would like to have back that Salmon Pink Hamer Custom I had in 86'. :jo

14. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

saw the first SE Custom at our local GC yesterday, and I'll echo the sentiment in several previous replies; disappointing. Flame wasn't all the nice in the top, and even the sunburst was kind of unattractive. Neck not as chunky as pretty much every earlier issue SE I've tried. And yeah, it had kind of a "cheap" vibe. Maybe that's more acceptable in a P90 guitar :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about these taking too much business from the higher end of the line

/rick

15. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

The Ses are great! I bought a Billy Martin to back up my main guitars and it smokes with some WCR pickups. The neck feels GREAT! Way better than the Hamer USA models I have owned in the past. Feel and playability is just about on par with my USA PRS models. I do not like the Custom because I HATE flat tops.