PRS SE Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eleanor296, Jul 25, 2008.

1. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

just played 3 at these today... and wow, one of them really shined. Look like A LOT of guitar for the money. Tremolo version, sunburst. Wow.... sounded simply great. Maybe not as fast playing as my Schecter, but one nice guitar... which you can do pretty much anything with.

Anybody got one of those? How do you like them? Any long-term problems they might have?

Thanks!
    ~Andy

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

IMHO the best bang for the buck in the import guitar market. I started with a SE Santana model and to tell you the truth I wish I hadn't sold it. Most upgrade PU's and electronics along with tuners. All will really make a great guitar....KILLER!:AOK

3. Griz

Griz Member

Surprisingly good quality of assembly at the price point. The gig bag alone is worth $100.

4. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

sweet. I think I'll get it to replace my Schecter S-1 Elite.
    Any other opinions?

~Andy

5. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I picked one up used for $340 and it's a great guitar for that. It came with the PRS gig bag, but unfortunately not the tremolo bar, and I've had a hard time finding one...guesss I need to call PRS. The two biggest complaints I had heard have been staying in tune and pickups...lots of people replace the pickups, electronics and tuners. I haven't done any of those yet, because I really haven't had any issues with mine. I've yet to play it out of the bedroom though. Killer guitar for the money.

John

6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I got me an SE Soapbar over the 4th of July weekend from GC.

I've not been able to put the guitar down. It just feels so right. Very resonant. Fret work is well excecuted. I did replace the pup's with Fralin's, and "upgraded" the controls at the same time, and re-worked the nut a bit.

7. richey88

richey88 Member

I got the same axe Russ, on the same weekend at the same (chain) store! Yours a maple cap? Hella price huh? Can't put mine down either....nut needs a little work on mine but nice axe!

8. RussB

I like this guitar so much, that I've got my eye out for another...I'm thinking a Custom this time around.

[​IMG]

9. richey88

richey88 Member

That's her! I have cream pickups, haven't got around to any mods.....score!

10. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

hehe, looks like everybody likes them.
    Just need to sell off some stuff in the emporium....

~Andy

11. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

I have two SE's, a Soapbar II and a Singlecut. They're ridiculous for the money. I'm selling the Soapbar to help pay for a Suhr I bought that's no fault of the PRS :D . But no tuning issues on either of them and no need to replace the pickups. And yes the gig bags are awesome. The only flaws on mine are purely cosmetic. Two small finish flaws on the Soap, and one on the Singlecut. Definitely small enough to overlook considering the price.

I do wish the Singlecut had the standard 4-knob LP layout with the pup selector on the upper bout. But that's not a flaw, just the design they went with.

It's a bit embarassing to say this but the Singlecut SE I've got can easily hang playability and tonewise with the R7 I used to have...

12. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Locking tuners can cost $70. Add that on top of the price of the SE and you're still way ahead. No way in hell I could afford one of teh "bird" models. but the SE? That's well within range. Heard nothing but good things about them. Tried one out. Liked it, felt solid, but I wanted something a little different.

13. RussB

I wonder if having the nut re-worked (opened up slots, remove material from the top, and a polishing of the slots) or simply replaced with a bone nut would negate replacing the tuners...the tuners on my Soapbar are just fine.

I replaced the soapbars on mine just to try somethimg different. The stock pup's are very hot (about 9.5k each) They are very thick and fat...OK in the bridge, but too fat in the neck position, IMHO.

14. 69strat

69strat Member

If anyone is interested... I have a soapbar for sale...cheap.. I just wanted to see if I would like p90's... Now that I've had it for a couple of weeks I'm going to flip it and get a reverend...

15. VanR

VanR Senior Member

I bought an SE custom last year. Kept about 5 days and returned it because it would not stay in tune for 5 minutes. You could tune it, set it on a guitar stand, come back 2 hours later and it would be all out of tune. I can't have a guitar that won't stay in tune for 5 minutes. Worked out OK because the wife took the money I got back from the SE added a bunch of money to it and bought me a brand new Am. Deluxe Strat.