PRS SE double cutaways...why so few with a Wide Fat neck?

guitargeezer

I'm a big fan of the PRS double cutaway shape (I have a Grissom, have had a Ted McCarty DC245, and have a used SE EG en route) but, except for the Santana SE (don't like the shorter, Yamaha-style horns) and the SE 22 Standard, I can't seem to find any SE models that have the wide fat profile...sure, plenty of single cutaways with the wide fat profile, but why so few DC's with the wide fats?

I would think that a few models with trems (or hard tail) with mahogany bodies and maple caps would be very successful. Or, maybe it's just me...since Paul is a pretty smart cookie...

Anybody else miss them?

Chicago Slim

I started playing a 2001, PRS Swamp Ash Special and first generation Santana SE, both with Wide/Fat necks. I played so much better on those necks, that I sold most of my Fender guitars. I sold off some really great guitars, because the necks were not thick enough for me.

I think that most of the people buying SE double cutaways with a tremolo, are coming from the Strat camp. The Wide/Thin's would feel more natural to them. Plus, the introduction of the S2 line, meant more models to produce. They cut the two neck shapes, Wide/Fat and Wide/Thin necks, replacing them with the single, Pattern Regular, for both 22 and 24 fret guitars.

I'm now playing core line Starla's and SE Singlecut 245's, both still with Wide/Fat necks and 24.5" scales. I just got my first S2, with a Pattern Regular neck, and 25" scale. The difference is negligible. The neck depth, is still 27/32", same as the old Wide/Fat.

guitargeezer

I think that most of the people buying SE double cutaways with a tremolo, are coming from the Strat camp. The Wide/Thin's would feel more natural to them. Plus, the introduction of the S2 line, meant more models to produce. They cut the two neck shapes, Wide/Fat and Wide/Thin necks, replacing them with the single, Pattern Regular, for both 22 and 24 fret guitars.

I'm now playing core line Starla's and SE Singlecut 245's, both still with Wide/Fat necks and 24.5" scales. I just got my first S2, with a Pattern Regular neck, and 25" scale. The difference is negligible. The neck depth, is still 27/32", same as the old Wide/Fat.

I agree about the double cutaway fans coming from the Strat camp, but my favorite Strats were the fatter necks...EJ, Mayer, Robert Cray, Hot Rod '62, etc. I have an SE Bernie which is very similar to the SE245, and it's one of my favorites. I've looked at the S2 Custom 22, but I actually prefer less expensive models like the SE Custom 22 to the looks of the S2 with all mahogany bodies...just not the wide thin necks.

Maybe I should get famous, and then Paul would let me design my signature model SE...:banana

Chicago Slim

I saw today, that Paul Reed Smith made a custom signature model, for one of guys that I know from this forum. I need to send him an email, and jerk his chain a little, in private.

So, you never know.

sergiodeblanc

Take a look at an older SE SoapbarII, they have W/F necks, are DC's, an absolute steal used, really nice sounding pups, and are all around rad guitars.

Maybe I should get famous, and then Paul would let me design my signature model SE...:banana

Always the best idea.

guitargeezer

I saw today, that Paul Reed Smith made a custom signature model, for one of guys that I know from this forum. I need to send him an email, and jerk his chain a little, in private.

So, you never know.

I think that's an excellent idea! Paul selects an average Joe (or Bob, in this case) for a custom signature model. Think of the promotion possibilities...:dude

Kostas

I don't know if they changed specs but a couple years ago most SE guitars had WF profiles. The only ones I remember with WT were the Tremonti & Navarro models.

guitargeezer

I don't know if they changed specs but a couple years ago most SE guitars had WF profiles. The only ones I remember with WT were the Tremonti & Navarro models.

Plenty of single cuts were available in the wide fat, but few double cutaways that I have seen. But I didn't seriously start looking until the past couple of years. I do recall the soapbar model that Sergio mentioned, but few Humbucker models.

Edited to add...greetings to Kostas in Dawgland!

Last edited:

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Yea, most all of the double cuts are in their Custom series, which are all wide/thin. I hadn't noticed that before; the lack of wide/fat double cuts. Except for the SE Standard, that is.

Chicago Slim

Yes, he's a PRS endorsed artist. Yea, they have made him an artist guitar.

But, look what John has done he's done with his lowly, ten year old, SE One.

Last edited:

AdmiralB

I'd probably buy an SE Floyd if it was a W/F, 22-fret model. I might even buy a Custom 22 if it was available OTS with W/F and a Floyd.

If, if, if.

guitargeezer

I'd probably buy an SE Floyd if it was a W/F, 22-fret model. I might even buy a Custom 22 if it was available OTS with W/F and a Floyd.

If, if, if.

Maybe we ought to start a poll here to gauge interest and forward that to PRS...just sayin'...:crazy

AdmiralB

Maybe we ought to start a poll here to gauge interest and forward that to PRS...just sayin'...:crazy

Ah, I doubt they sell many SE Floyds as it is, and another model to keep in the catalog would be a mess. The only people who benefit from SKU proliferation are the customer (directly at least - I suspect that, indirectly, even they suffer too) and the competition. Everyone else suffers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom