PRS SE line worth price

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jazzmasterflex, Jan 8, 2006.

1. A question coming from an up and coming rock/jazz/jam guitarist with about 5 years guitar and 10 years serious theory...

I inherited a Fender Jazz and have been spoiled in the tone I can master with that

Playing out of a fender tube, i've been searching for something more scorching and has some more punch.

I was wondering if the PRS SE line would be worth a venture (especially the SE CUSTOM) with my budget of a college student.

I'm not biased towards PRS, but have heard a lot of good things about them, but putting that aside, are these guitars high quality for their price... or does the name PRS make their price rise, even though they aren't great quality, as we all know fender imports aren't the greatest quality.

I'd love some feedback on this issue, and would like to hear what I also should consider when it comes to getting more of a rock and punchy tone with the price range

~TeaKettleOverdrive

2. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've owned a PRS SE, and it was one of my favorite playing guitars. At the same time I owned a PRS SAS, which sounded much better. If you use a lot of effects, the sound of the SE may be fine. If you go for cleaner jazz type sounds, you may want to replace the pickups.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

only thing i could see would be to replace the pickups in them. i dont think the pickups are necessarily bad but i do think that most cheaper imports could use a boost from new pickups. they play and are made wonderfly. worth the price. possibly worth more.

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I put some Bluesbuckers in my 1st gen se and it's a great, great guitar. Tremendous bang for the buck.

jon

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great value, excellent tone and playability. I thought the P90's in my original SE were a pretty good match for the guitar. I swapped a pair of Lollars and ended up going back to the originals!

The pots, switch, and jack are of questionable quality and the tuners may not be as good as US models, but that's cheap stuff to replace if you want to. You couldn't build a guitar for what you pay for an SE!

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

For the money, there are other guitars I'd prefer like Schecter and or an EBMM Sub 1. The SEs are built okay but other companies seem to have nicer hardware at comparable prices.

7. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

don't buy them unless you try them out. As a huge PRS collector and owner, I'm not impressed with them at all. I own one as a guitar I keep at the hospital office for practice and only bought it cause if it gets ripped off, I won't be crying. The electronics and the hardware are cheap. If you want a trem model be prepared for a guitar that will not stay in tune. Like Alec said, I think there are other foreign lines that are probably better at similar prices. If you want a strat like guitar, get a mexican strat vs a EG. I can't speak for the newer ones coming out, but like I said, try before you buy.

8. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I've got an SE Soapbar Singlecut and I think it's a great value. Build quality is top notch. I, too, replaced the pickups then went back to the originals. The only upgrade I did was add locking tuners, and that was not a necessity, just my preferance.

Rick

9. kselbee

kselbee Member

I had a Tremonti SE that was so light it felt like it was made of balsa wood. For the money you could do better, especially used.

10. MCG

MCG Member

I just got a SE SoapBar II and really am enjoying it. I will however up grade both the electronics and pickups.

I'm a PRS fan myself and love the PRS layout and wide/fat neck profile. So these factors along with my budget led me to my Se. I will tell you that while all the SE's I have played seemed to be well made for there price point, the tonal quality of the mahogany use dose vairy from guitar to guitar. So check out as many as you can if you decide to go thant way.

And I do agree that other companys offerring guitars in the SE price range are worth a good look.

MCG

11. Thanks guys for your input... Any models of Schecter i should note, not necessarily for a 4 piece jazz band but more of a Rock/funk/jam motivated sound.

12. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Tried out an SE Soapbar II. Very nice sound and finish. However the neck was way too fat for my hand.

13. yanquii

yanquii Member

Definately. I went to Guitar center the other day, and they had Soapbar SE II there for $359 new. I was very tempted. the thing was amazing.

14. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I have one of the now discontinued SC Soapbars. Fit and finish is excellent, the tuners could be better, but the guitar sounds amazing through my new Fender '65 DR RI.

Jamie

P.S. I've been know to own a PRS guitar or two in the past, too

15. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I had a 1st generation Santana SE with tremolo the played as well, and stayed in tune as well, as the other "real" PRS guitars that I have owned. Even with moderate amounts of whammy abuse it really stayed in tune nicely. The pickups and pots were mediocre at best, but everything else on that one was great. Should have held on to that one.

I also had a SE Sopabar II that wasn't set up as well, and didn't stay in tune as well even though it was a stop tail. I'd say the SE line is inconsistent compared to the American made PRS line. Try before you buy.

16. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

How could I not click on your gear pics after that :)

You've got my vote for understatement of the year! Nice collection.

Rick

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

Worth the price? I'd say yes. I went shopping for a "re-etnry" guitar for a friend of mine a few months ago. I played MANY guitars in the price range (something I don't often do). The PRS SE line got the nod from me. Did they blow me away? Well, no. Did I find them to be well made and extremely playable? Most definitely. After playing all 5 the store had in stock I found the best of the bunch and sent my friend home a happy man.

18. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

My only experience with the PRS SE w/p90's is at guitar stores - seemed very light & the factory pickups did nothing for me. I bought an Agile LP copy with soapbars ... much prefer the carved top, glossed out neck & the factory pickups sounded more along the line of what I look for in a P90 guitar. Also, it costs about half what the SE does brand new. Hey, its another option ...

HT