PRS SE Mark Tremonti/245 - Bridge/Intonation

rockdog

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to TGP Forums. My question is, has anyone experienced intonation issues with a PRS SE Mark Tremonti or 245 guitar?

The reason I ask is because every guitar I've ever owned had a bridge where I could adjust the intonation. But apparently from looks of the bridge on the PRS SE Mark Tremonti and 245 models you can't.

I recently became interested in the SE series after playing a couple SE Custom 24s at the local GC and I was quite impressed with their tone. However, they did not have any other models with the same style bridge as the Mark Tremonti and 245 models.

Maybe there should be no issues. Afterall, you can't adjust the intonation of an acoustic guitar, can you?

Thanks,
Rockdog

dankayaker

There is a small screw that allows you to intonate the high-E and Low-E.
Some will claim the rest fall into place . . .but I had to upgrade both SC245's I had with the adjustable PRS stoptail for good intonation.

rockdog

I just found some more info in the FAQs section of teh PRS website.
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq.html

12. What are the differences between the PRS (non-adjustable) Stoptail and Adjustable Stoptail?

Bridges - PRS Stoptail
Designed to take full advantage of the resonant properties of our guitars, the PRS Stoptail Bridge provides direct transmission of string vibration to the guitar body and makes set-up a breeze. First used in 1991 on the PRS Dragon I guitar, it now appears on almost half of all PRS guitars sold. This bridge features slots that recess the strings comfortably as they pass over the top, in a gentle curve. Although it is pre-compensated for modern string gauges, fine-tuning is possible by adjusting the set screws at each end of the bridge.

Tuning and Set-up Hints for PRS Stoptail
Action height is adjustable by raising or lowering the studs the bridge sits on. To adjust the mounting bolts, first detune the instrument to relieve the tension on the bridge. Then using a Quarter, make the necessary adjustments and retune.
Intonation can be adjusted using the two allen set screws facing the tail end of the guitar. A strobe tuner or other electronic tuning device should be used. Match the octave (fretted) note of the first and sixth strings with their corresponding 12th fret open harmonics by shortening or lengthening the strings with the adjusting screws using the allen wrench provided. Start with the treble side and then go to the bass side, return to the treble side for one last check. The other four strings are present and will intonate correctly provided a conventionally gauged string set with a plain third (G) string is used. Use of a wound third string is not recommended with this bridge.
Remember to tune and retune until the process is complete.
If you are unfamiliar with making these adjustments, we recommend that the guitar be taken to a qualified repair center.

Bridges - PRS Adjustable Stoptail
For ease of intonation of non-standard or extra heavy string gauges (.011 gauge or higher), a special order version of the PRS Stoptail with individually adjustable saddles is available. The adjustable PRS Stoptail is available in nickel or gold plate. All PRS parts and accessories are available for special order; please contact you local authorized PRS dealer or International Distributor.
The Hollowbody and Archtop with the piezo option feature a special version of the adjustable PRS Stoptail fitted with piezo inserts. This bridge can be adjusted in the same fashion as our adjustable Stoptail.

Tuning and Set-up Hints for PRS Adjustable Stoptail
Action height is adjustable by raising or lowering the studs the bridge sits on. To adjust the mounting bolts, first detune the instrument to relieve the tension on the bridge. Then using a Quarter, make the necessary adjustments and retune.
The intonation may be adjusted by moving the phillips head screws on the inside edge of the bridge (facing the treble pickup) in and out with a phillips head screwdriver. Match the octave (fretted) note of all six strings with their corresponding 12th fret open harmonics by shortening or lengthening the strings with the adjusting screws. Additional minor adjustments to the intonation may also be made by moving the set screws facing the tail end of the guitar in and out with the allen wrench provided.
Remember to tune and retune until the process is complete.
If you are unfamiliar with making these adjustments, we recommend that the guitar be taken to a qualified repair center.

Trending Topics