• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS SE Models Question

Fatherflot

I'm throwing this out there for those who know more about how PRS operates. I've never owned one and I'm just starting to get interested in their designs. I can't afford a USA-built model, so I'm focused on their highly-regarded SE line.

Does anyone know why PRS discontinued the SE EG? It seems like the guitar has an incredible reputation, but only a few show up on ebay. Does PRS have plans to reissue it?

Also, do you think there is any chance that PRS will issue the Mira and/or Starla in SE editions?

Lihns

Considering the Starla and Mira are among their more "budget" models, it's highly doubtful those will be in the SE line. I think they're in the line coming from Maine though.

neoprimitive

doubtful there will be a starla or mira SE model, but who knows. but I will say that as an SE owner, there many SE models and most likely one that fits your needs and tastes. they are flat out excellent guitars for the money. I know i sure do love mine and would buy another without a a second thought. I can't afford a US made PRS either, that's why I have an SE, they do a damn good job of being a guitar to fill that need for those of us who can't shell put the big bucks.

Nitro III

doubtful there will be a starla or mira SE model, but who knows. but I will say that as an SE owner, there many SE models and most likely one that fits your needs and tastes. they are flat out excellent guitars for the money. I know i sure do love mine and would buy another without a a second thought. I can't afford a US made PRS either, that's why I have an SE, they do a damn good job of being a guitar to fill that need for those of us who can't shell put the big bucks.

I completely agree! I have had a USA Custom 24 10 top and it was a great guitar but the neck was to thin for my liking and went back to a Les Paul. So about 8 months ago went to a local music store with my son and he picked up a 2013 PRS Temonti SE and he really liked it. It was basically brand new, played great and got it for $375 out the door with gig bag. As stock it sounds very good on its own but I had a couple seymour Duncan pups laying around popped them in for fun and WOW this think rips and the best part is it has a wide fat neck. Next thing I know is that my les paul is collecting dust. Now, I went back to that same store this past Saturday to just hang out and I see a 2014 PRS Zack Meyers SE semi hollow and it has the same wide fat neck and is in new condition for $475 out the door. Now my son has his Tremonti se back. These guitars are outstanding for the money. I'm not saying they are better than the USA made ones but for anyone who wants a great quality built guitar on the used market for about $500 give or take you can't beat these guitars. Just my 2 cents worth.

baj2k

Gold Supporting Member
I love my PRS Singlecut SE... It's a Tremonti but I refinished the headstock... (sorry Mark :D) I bought it used for $425 then I added RS Guitarworks super pots, a set of Wolfetone Legends, and "locking" Keystone tuners (pups & tuners not shown in the pic) so I'm in to it for about $650 or so. It get's played more than my R9... not saying it's better but I can leave it on the guitar stand and not worry about it. Just grab and go... If it gets a nick or ding from being out all the time no big deal which is not the case with the R9 I bought from Steve Miller. That never leaves it's case unless I'm playing it...

Here's a pic of my SC SE

PRSSEQuilt_zpsef320f17.jpg

CRUE

I love my PRS Singlecut SE... It's a Tremonti but I refinished the headstock... (sorry Mark :D) I bought it used for $425 then I added RS Guitarworks super pots, a set of Wolfetone Legends, and "locking" Keystone tuners (pups & tuners not shown in the pic) so I'm in to it for about $650 or so. It get's played more than my R9... not saying it's better but I can leave it on the guitar stand and not worry about it. Just grab and go... If it gets a nick or ding from being out all the time no big deal which is not the case with the R9 I bought from Steve Miller. That never leaves it's case unless I'm playing it...

Here's a pic of my SC SE

PRSSEQuilt_zpsef320f17.jpg

NICE!

Jimi D

The EG is a great model SE, but I think it's "rarity" has increased it's desirability a bit; I've played a couple and it's an SE with Strat electronics, no better or worse in terms of playability and build quality than the other SE's from the period. I have a 305 myself, or I'd have bought the last EG I played... As to why PRS canceled the model, if you watch PRS for any length of time, you'll see that models get cancelled, redesigned and re-released with surprising regularity. They're always changing things up and that seems to apply to the SE line as surely as to the USA-made models...

I've got four beautiful USA PRSi and one SE (an SE One) in my current stable, and I'm thinking of adding another SE (a 245 soapbar). SE's really are a great, giggable line of budget-friendly guitars.

hackenfort

Silver Supporting Member
I find the SE line to be very nice guitars, IMO about 90% of a core model, and only about 25% the price. So even if you change up a few things like pickups, it's a win!

crwilsn

I have a modded Tremonti as well but the USA made PRSs are calling hard.

Went to the local GC and tried a Core, S2, and SE all at the same time.

The S2 is right out of the mix. It did not look as nice as the SE even with the simple bevel cut. Play, feel, and build quality felt very similar to the SE. I described it as a US made SE for those who want USA built guitars.

So between the SE and the core I have to say, playing wise, not a lot of difference. 9s on the SE and tens on the core complicated the comparison though Aesthetically the deep violin cut looks nicer but the shallow cut on the SE is not bad either. Sound wise the core was ahead but I think a good part if that was the pickups. Both were excellent to play and setup was perfect on both.

So was the core at $3.2k worth 4 times the SE at $800. I have to say no. I preferred playing the SE to be honest. I would pick up a used core at under 2k though.

I was going to sell the Tremonti to upgrade to a core but I am now leaning more towards finding a Floyd Rose Custom 24 SE, upgrading pickups and electronics to USA spec HFS and VB plus 5 way and keep the Tremonti for some variety.

SE models are not just good for the money, they are simply great guitars.

Gitarman

My SE (1st-run Navarro CU24 w/ ebony board, FWIW) is one of my main gigging guitars. I've had it for over 3 years now and it's been rock-solid. Although I've thrown in some new pickups (DiMarzio FRED and GFS Dream 180), the stockers were decent enough to get the job done; I just wanted something a little more unique.

My only real gripes about it are 1) I wish it had a forearm contour and 2) the 24th fret had recently decided to sprout a tiny bit & I sometimes catch the high E on it.... gotta remember to file that bugger down before the next gig.

IMG_173502850055421_zpsnbyqfo3k.jpeg

TheClev

As seen on TV
I upgraded from an SE to the S2 Singlecut and ended up keeping both of them. The SE's can hang with the more expensive models for sure.

Fatherflot

Thanks for the input PRS guys. What I'm hearing about the SE confirms what I've heard elsewhere.

I'm going to keep looking on ebay, etc. I want a double cut plain one (just not into the guitar-as-fine furniture thing) with dot inlays (don't like the birds) and that simple wraparound tailpiece. Maybe a semi-hollow with cat's eye cut. If I get one with humbuckers I'll probably put some kind of filtron-type pickups in for more single-coil like spank.

Thanks again.

beanoboy

I have a PRS SE Custom which I got as a backup for my "91 Artist. I swapped out the pickups to WCR Darkburst/Bridge- Crossroads/Neck. I broke a string last night at rehearsal on my Artist, swapped to the SE Custom to keep rehearsal humming along. Sounded fine. The only issue I have with the SE Custom is the tuners. Less stable than the Artist, I bend strings a LOT. Conversely, I have an SE Singlecut which I swapped Lollar P90s to. Hefty neck and stays in tune quite well. The SE line has great "bang for the buck".

kwd1987

This!

I bought a PRS Bernie Marsden and dropped some Sheptone BK's in it and replaced nut, tuners, and the wiring (probably didn't even need this), and it slays. Setup was perfect before I started replacing things though. It was already impressive after just changing the nut.

baj2k

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the input PRS guys. What I'm hearing about the SE confirms what I've heard elsewhere.

I'm going to keep looking on ebay, etc. I want a double cut plain one (just not into the guitar-as-fine furniture thing) with dot inlays (don't like the birds) and that simple wraparound tailpiece. Maybe a semi-hollow with cat's eye cut. If I get one with humbuckers I'll probably put some kind of filtron-type pickups in for more single-coil like spank.

Thanks again.
All of my wood furniture is "plain top"... no figured woods in the whole bunch... ;)

Chicago Slim

Thanks again.

I've been very happy with my SE Custom 24, with GFS Memphis pickups.

405609650.jpg

crwilsn

Just as a follow up, I found a set of USA HFS/Vintage Bass pickups and swapped those into my SE Tremonti along with a graph tech nut and 10-46 gauge strings. I think, blindfolded, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a core single cut now.

Plan for next guitar has become a SE Custom 24 with a Floyd Rose. Pickup swap to USA pups and a five way switch and it's done. Floyd Rose 1000 is a quality bridge and negates the need to do anything to the nut, tuners, or bridge.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom