PRS SE One: Tell me about it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bucksears, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Looking at another P90-style solidbody.

Does the SE One scratch that LP Jr itch pretty well? I love the look of them and dig wider necks. I've heard the SE Soapbar pickups are hotter than typical P90s.

I remember playing a PRS SE Korina a couple of years ago and liked it.

2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

C'mon, NOBODY has a PRS SE One?

:)

3. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Here's a post from a recent NGD thread I started : http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1532578

About five years ago I had a great opportunity to grab the Mira of my dreams - a NOS vintage Mahogany ultra-light with a one piece body that just sang. I loved the guitar and jumped on the deal (I still have the Mira today), but part of the trade included me giving up my original SE One Korina, which was a guitar I was pretty damned fond of... But I reasoned I could always find another SE One cheap, and I really wanted this Mira, so the deal was done...

Here's an old pic of my original before it was traded away...
    [​IMG]

Finally, almost five years later, I have found a replacement SE One Korina... I won't buy a guitar without playing it first anymore, and there were just NONE available in my neck of the woods for ages and ages... I passed on a standard SE One about a year ago, and I was getting kind of bummed about possibility of ever getting another, so when this one came up on Kijiji, I jumped on it. I'm really pleased to have another in the fold. I know some people don't like them, but I love the birds and binding! I'm looking forward to dropping a Lollar in the bridge (something I'd planned for my original, but never got around to).

[​IMG]

I love these guitars! :dude

I've been playing the new one a lot over the past couple weeks, and it's a great guitar. I still intend to change out the PRS P90, but there's no rush as the one in it now is really quite good; I'm wondering if there isn't a treble bleed on it though as it doesn't get darker when you're rolling back the volume, which is something I like... Anyway, still the re-honeymoon for me, but I'm extremely happy with it; for the price it's a no-brainer...

4. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

It definitely scratches the LP Jr itch for me. I prefer the PRS design and the 25" scale length. The neck isn't any wider (1 11/16" at the nut like Gibson), but it's decently fat. The body is comfortable with the back contour and the bevel on the top is just enough to keep the edge from digging into my arm.

The stock pickup sounds pretty good and it definitely is hot. It's an unstoppable rock machine that begs for overdrive. You give up the tone control, but there's room in the electronics cavity to add one, although it's tight. I personally like the "turn it up and go" simplicity of the stock form. I got more knobs and switches on my other guitars. :aok

I think they're an incredible bargain, often $300 or less on eBay. I modded mine a bit to suit my taste, but they're generally ready to go as-is.

Gratuitous, GAS-inducing photo:

[​IMG]

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

I have played quite a few of them and they were all OK. The fit and finish was nice and the neck felt pretty good but none of them really sounded the way I would want a Junior to sound. I assume with a good pickup it could liven up a bit but after paying for the guitar and $100 for the pickup you would be in Gibson Junior territory. Those older gloss Gibson Juniors sell pretty cheap on the used market and are amazing stock. Again, the SE was a good guitar but not good enough to warrant the extra cash it would take to get it to where I would want it to be.

6. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I had one for a few years and it was the best $300 guitar I've ever owned. But I never really ended up using it that much; the lack of a tone control on a single-pickup guitar is pretty limiting.

7. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

I love them. I've owned 3 of them. While I tend to sell them off, I keep coming back to them.

2 have been mahogany sunburst models. I kept one stock, but modded another with a Tone Zone mini hum, a concentric pot to add a tone control, and a Pigtail wraparound bridge.

Before mods
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

I now own an SE One Korina. I haven't fully decided on mods for it, but it's a great guitar for the money

[​IMG]