PRS SE Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Voiceofasoul, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

I bought a PRS SE the other day for a steal and I'm really, really digging the feel. The only problem is the bridge pickup- it's just not nasty enough for me. I'm looking to replace it for something befitting my normal sound better, but I don't know what to drop in. All of my other guitars have EMG-81's in the bridge as I play to the harder side of things, but I don't want to ruin the aesthetics of the SE by installing actives. Can any one recommend a comparable passive that I can still get cream/black colors on? Thanks!

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Any of the US built PRS PU's will wake that guitar up!!!! :BEER

3. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Supporting Member

I have a Suhr Doug Aldrich Model in my Les Paul. Plenty of output but still open and articulate.

Schaf

4. Eskimoke

Eskimoke Member

I got some Seymour Duncan zebra bobbin PUP's from Musician's Friend; a JB in the bridge and a 59' in the neck. They sound OK, better than stock. I also used a McCarty wiring kit here which makes it much more versatile.

The SE is a killer guitar and even better with these mods.

5. Cadbar

Cadbar Member

I will sell you a set of Dragon II's if you are intersted.

6. opiate

opiate Silver Supporting Member

Those SE's really are pretty nice, especially for the money.
    A friend of mine bought one, and I really didn't take it too seriusly until I plugges it into my Bogner Ecstasy... I ended up very pleasantly surprised.

As far as what to replace the bridge pup with, a Duncan JB is always a good all purpose choice. Not very fancy or full of original tone, but always pretty nice... and since you like the harder side this would be a good choice. Or you could go a little more boutique (after all you said you got a good deal on the guitar), and get something like a Rio Grande BBQ or maybe a Crunchbox (if you like to go REAL heavy).

ian

7. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Congrats on the SE! They are great guitars. If you like the EMG 81 but want a passive bucker that gets nasty try the WCR Iron Man. It's awesome!

8. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Yeah, go Iron Man if you can. I have the WCR Godwood and it sounds great...lots of overtones and warm. The Iron Man is higher output.

9. Voiceofasoul

Voiceofasoul Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd never even heard of WCR, but after checking their site I'm definitely interested. Thanks again!

10. Seakayak

Seakayak Member

+1... WCR pickups!!!!