PRS SE question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by terrapin, May 15, 2015.

1. terrapin

terrapin Member

I have a chance to pick up a PRS SE Fredrik Akesson for a very nice price. Was thinking of going for it, and using my extra $ to buy a good set of hums or P-90s for it. What are people's thoughts on this? And info, advice is appreciated.

2. Meals

Meals Member

Solidly built. If you're planning on changing out the pickups anyway (which is the weakest part), you'll have a hell of an instrument.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE245SoapBlk

Saw this local with translucent SG/lp special red. Fantastic price and it has the wide fat neck. I never cared for PRS's until recently I found they have wide fat necks. Brings it closer to a gibson/fender meatier yet comfy neck.

4. dazco

dazco Member

They are amazing guitars, but they ARE very very different than fenders or gibsons and for me it's more of a novelty. I much prefer my fenders. But i also think the PRS design is maybe the best guitar design ever built. It's just a certain taste, and a very different one, and if that taste happens to appeal to you you can beat em. I find them just so different that i can't pull myself that far away from traditional sounds and feel to make it a main player. But they're amazing in any case. Perfection is a word i don't use lightly but it may be appropriate here. I keep wanting to sell it but i'm afraid i'd miss it even tho i rarely play it ! crazy, i know. By the way, note that most SE's use pickups with A2 magnets and they sound super fat and rich. But thats also a bad thing at times. they tend to be too smooth and fat for me at times. Theres not a lot of cut articulation and they sound best with a lot of OD IMO. Clean not so much unless they match the amp for that well. If u r getting a P90 model like i think you are suggesting, that i can't comment on because i haven't tried PRS P90's. But gibson stock P90's are excellent and a lot of people prefer them to anything including boutique. So that may be a good option.

5. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I had the Akesson. It was a very nicely built guitar, and played quite well. I had Dimarzio Breeds in it. I only sold it because it was the heaviest F'ing guitar I've ever owned. :lol:

But if that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it.

6. terrapin

terrapin Member

I think I am gonna pick it up. It's a great bargain! So if/when I replace the pickups are there special considerations for size (total novice with pickups other than standard single coils) to get them to drop in easily?

7. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

Standard size hum buckers in the Åkesson model. I'd play it for a while before you change them though, the SE245 pickups are pretty good, considering how much the guitar costs.

8. terrapin

terrapin Member

That's my plan. Thanks. Specific PAF or P-90 recommendations for this guitar would be cool!

9. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I think I would install Railhammer Gnarly H90s in that thing and it would be an absolute beast!

10. Davo17

Davo17 Member

[​IMG]
    I love the SE line. Mine came already modded with fralin underwound p90's in it.

Great pickups though the neck p90 route was a bit shallow. On some US versions, Ive read that the neck humbucker route can also be a bit shallow for aftermarket pups.

11. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

I picked up an Akkeson with bare knuckle black dogs in it for $500. Great guitar and pickups. Totally worth the money spent

12. terrapin

terrapin Member

I am such a novice to humbuckers! I know the guitar will be used mostly for blues and rock in the vein of early Beck, Warren Haynes kinda stuff. No metal or really high gain stuff. I like my tone to hover just over the edge of breakup. What pickups will get me there?

13. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

In my experience, you need "short legs" on the pickup baseplate or you will have to clearance route the cavity. I like Duncan customs in the bridge and a jazz in the neck for classic rock tones.

14. terrapin

terrapin Member

Thanks, I wondered about this! Standard mount?

15. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Dont own one anymore, but imo the SE series used at a good price is the single best bang for the buck deal in the guitar world for a player.

16. terrapin

terrapin Member

So, as I look for pickups am I correct that I need Standard Mount, short legs? Any other specs I need to be careful with for direct drop in? Will the existing rings work for full-sized hums?

17. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

The standard ones will :D Whilst Åkesson is a very tasty shredder, and the guitar more than copes with that, he's a very flexible player with a good selection of tones - I've seen him play that guitar live recently, and it sounded superb from sparkly cleans up to full-bore death metal riffs. Very nearly bought one of these myself last year...