1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS SE Soapbar II opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lt_Core, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I'm looking into getting the Soapbar II. I played one briefly at GC and really liked it.

Anybody out there have one? I've never owned a P-90 guitar and the quality on this one seems very good. How versatile, tone-wise, is it? Thanks for any opinions.

Soapbar II info at MF

2. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

They are great guitars for the money.

They are being discontinued.

They're replacing it with a single cutaway version.

That's all I know. ;)

3. echale3

echale3 Member

I played a few at GC, but bought a Gibson Faded LP DC Special. Not because I thought the Gibson was superior, I bought it because the neck felt better to me than the PRS' neck did.

That said, the build quality on the PRS was excellent, at least as good as the Gibson, it had quality parts on it, and it sounded really good, too. The difference, tonally speaking, between it and the Gibson was that the Gibson sounded a bit more "raw" than the PRS.

P-90s are very versatile, IMO. Played clean, to my ears no humbucker I ever heard sounded as good, and when you crank up a little preamp gain or, better yet, crank up the volume to get power amp tube distortion, the P-90 gives you tone you just can't get with a humbucker.

4. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I have one, & it's built quite well for the money. I like the neck, alot! It is fun to play. However, by the time that I replaced the pickups, all of the wiring & the input jack I had a little too much money into it. It still doesn't sound as good as a Gibson SG Classic. I wish that I had gotten that to begin with.

Mark

5. echale3

echale3 Member

Hey man, I hear you about the SG Classic... Now that's a guitar with some friggin' tone!!!!

6. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Too bad they're in the $1000 range easily :(

7. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Great Guitar! I ended up changing p/ups Vintage Vibe for hum cancelling reasons mainly. And installed Planet Waves Locking tuners. Bought it used fro $300 and w/ upgrades still have less than $500 into it. Definitely a pro guitar,and easily can compete w/ my other high end electrics both for playability and sound.

8. heardthatone

heardthatone Member

I bought a used PSR II soapbar last year. Excellent guitar. I love the wide neck, very easy to play. Although the pickup selector makes a big different in various tones, all the tones on this guitar fall under one wider range (does that even make sense? I don't know). Of course the pickups do hum a bit with a tube amp. It's a great guitar but I only use it as my back up on stage since I play a hybrid that does electric and acoustic.

9. CS'56

CS'56 Member

Fabulous guitars! They play as well as the American PRS guitars I used to own. Mine sounds incredible through my Dr. Z MAZ Jr. I bought a set of Soapbars out of a McCarty. To my surprise the stock soapbars sounded much better than the USA McCarty soabars. The McCarty neck was the biggest dissapointment. I lost all of the FAT jazzy clean tones from the korean necn pickup. THe McCarty's are gone and I am much happier with the stock pickups back in the guitar.
    I also changed my pickup covers to cream. How can it be called a soapbar and have black pickup covers?

10. Stella

Stella Member

Ihave a mint 2mos old vintage cherry SE ll with black p90s all stock.
    Im a strat guy so Im selling.
    They dont make the dual pickup versions anymore, expensive to produce.
    Paid 500 with premium gig bag.

Its a great guitar.
    450 shipped?
    C

11. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

My Se soapbar is second or third in lineup behind my LP Deluxe with Lollar P90s. The other #2/3 is an 05 Lp Std. I love the P90 sound! The Se's aren't up to the standard of the Lollars, thinner with less harmonic complexity, but are not bad at all. It's light, comfortable to play and I like the wide/fat neck. I'll keep playing it until I find a deal on another recent vintage Deluxe for some Fralin P90s.