PRS SE soapbar vs Gibson Les Paul 60's tribute

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vrdyer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

2. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I had an SE years ago. Played nicely, well made, no complaints.
    I grabbed a 50's Tribute when they came out (basically the same thing as the 60's) and it's my go to guitar beating out an R8, a CS edition Custom, and a whole bunch of nice and much more costly instruments.
    There's just something about it that's unique.

3. ljholland

ljholland Supporting Member

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I've played both...own a SE One (single P90). I did replace the P90 in the SE with a Duncan Antiquity P90 and liked it much more. The build quality on the PRS is better but the Gibson isn't bad..there's a few rough spots but you sorta expect that from Gibson. Also, take into account whether you like the "faded" finish on the Tribute. I found unfinished wood ugly. Whatever you do, don't get the sunburst Tribute...it looks like a clown guitar. The goldtop Tribute is nice though.

Anyway, it really comes down to brand preference.

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

I am not a fan of the P-90's that are in the PRS SE guitars. That alone would make me choose the Gibson every time.

5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I loved my PRS SE Soapbar in every respect except that mine always had a thin plinky sound. I really think I must have got a bad one because just about everyone else seems to say nice things about theirs.

I tried Lollar P90's and then TV Jones Classics and rewired it with RSG pots and a PIO tone cap and 50's wiring.

Plink, plink, plink.

I suspect a bad body or something. Played great, felt nice, tuners worked well, etc.

I put the stock pups back in it and traded it for an SG Faded at GC. No more plink, plink, plink.

I would be willing to try another though.

-bEn r.

6. 62deluxe

62deluxe Member

I have a SE Soapbar II that sounds fabulous, plays great, and is almost 3 lbs lighter than my '56 Historic. I love P90s, and think the PRS P90s are some of the best I've heard. Highly recommended.

Sorry haven't had a chance to try out any of the Tribute series yet (though I would love to).

7. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

the PRS SE build quality is up there, you are going to get better wood, the electronics may be a bit less overall. but combine it with a nice grinding amp you got a nice rock machine

8. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a singlecut SE soap bar, a semi solid SE soap bar and currently own a tribute les Paul. I think that the build quality on all 3 guitars is equally great. Both PRS guitars sounded absolutely great, but didn't sound anything like a LP.

9. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I own two 60's Tributes a recently played the SE w/soaps...very different sounding to me, not bad, just different. The PRS didn't have me changing my mind....still lovin' the 60's Tributes.

10. germs

germs Member

i found myself in a similar dilemma a few weeks ago.

i had enough money to choose either way: PRS SE or Gibson LP Tribute.

i chose the Gibson because it made every PRS SE i picked up feel like a toy.