PRS SE Wraparound Bridge Question TonePro or Schroeder?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ben7up, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ben7up

ben7up Member

Hi all,

I've recently got a PRS SE with a non adjustable wrap around bridge. I play heavy strings and low so I know I want adjustable bridge for intonation. My two options are Schroeder or Tone Pro .... Anyone have any experience with selection between the two? I know I've got 10" radius so I worry about that and I also heard I need the metric locking studs too?

So, if I get the schroeder, would it be ok to use tone pro locking studs on it (metric)? or do I have to get schroeder locking studs instead kind of like a matching set???

Ideas??? Thanks

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

locking studs work by opening up and then tightening down on the bridge, so the metric ones should work on that import SE with whatever bridge (it's the threads in the body bushings that you have to get right).

3. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Tonepros is pretty much impossible to string without totally removing the bridge from the guitar. Looks and sounds great. I wouldn't buy another if I got a new JR though.

4. ben7up

ben7up Member

so far you guys think schroeder is the way to go, just also getting the tone pro locking studs??? schroeder has string thru as well so there isn't two holes to get the strings thru... further ideas? i'm going to order this online hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

just wanted to make sure i didn't mis pro/cons of either one... seems like people don't like the tone pros because of the two holes for strings, and also because its not adjustable from 12 to 10 inch radius? thanks

Schroeder likes this.
  5. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Schroeder is totally cool. I replaced all bridges on my 3 PRS axes with Schroeder.

Schroeder likes this.
  6. george4th

george4th Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Schroeder Bridge I love them on my non-adjustable bridged PRS Guitars...among other guitars. Typically the previously installed posts work fine, but he did release a new set of posts worth checking out..
    G

Schroeder likes this.
  7. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

I just got a PRS bernie Marsden guitar, it's pretty good out of the box, I intend to get a bone or Tusk nut, can you guys tell me aside from better intonation were there any tonal benefits to this Shroeder bridge? although plugged in the guitar sounds great, there is something toyish about the tone and feel if you play it acoustically it doesn't sound as solid as my les paul, both nut and bridge contributing? I have yet to put a decent set of strings on it though...