PRS SE... Yay or Nay?

tcaron

Buy a used non-PRS if you get one. They are not bad but once you have played a real PRS you won't want to play teh SE anymore.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Love mine. IIRC, I got mine for something like $525 new on a price match. Granted that was in 2008, but really great guitars and very worth the dough.

jo2012

Silver Supporting Member
I would love to get one but it's a little out of my price range. Im in the $600-700 range

blong

I have 5 US made PRSi. I own on SE. The SE is a fine guitar. You may end up upgrading pickups and pots, maybe not. I always buy used and save a lot.

As someone stated, once you play a US made PRS you won't want to play an SE. Well, wrong. I like my SE as much as my high end PRSi. I did change out the pups, but it wasn't necessary. They are great guitars. I am probably going to buy an SE Singlcut 245 b/c I don't want to pay for a US made one. I played one yesterday (SE) and loved it.

Good luck with your search and with what you find.

Bob

Duffy

I really like the two PRS SE's I have. One is a Singlecut Tremolo in tobacco flame burst, very beautiful and great feeling and playing. I got it used, mint, for 200 out the door - can you believe that?

Then about two months later I bought another one used in mint condition with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and the stock pickup came with it too. It is a PRS SE Standard, which I hadn't even heard of. It is dark stained natural mahogany, super strat type and is awesome. That was 250, out the door.

Did you get your white one yet? The Singlecut Tremolo is also available and has a very nice tremolo on it.

If you didn't get yours yet you might want to check out these. The first one has a bigsby. It has an ebony fretboard with binding on the sides of it, which is a premium feature, very smooth to the touch for bending and very hard. It also has another super nice feature - locking tuners. They make string changing quicker and easier and they hold the guitar in tune better when the guitar has a tremolo, like the bigsby on this one. It's a PRS SE:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PRS-CMSHBGXX-LIST .

This next one is a little cheaper but supposedly very nice. It has binding on the side edges of the rosewood fretboard, which is very nice to have. It also has four control knobs like a Les Paul, tone and volume for each pickup. It is also less expensive than the white Singlecut you are looking at but a very similar guitar:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PRS-TR-LIST .

Let us know if you got one yet. You should be more than happy with any one of these, including the white one you are leaning toward.

DanR

I picked up a Singlecut Korina SE off Ebay recently for $399 + $29 shipping. I have some really nice quality guitars and I was quite surprised at the quality of the SE at such a low price. I replaced the pickups mainly because the stock ones had too much output for my taste, although though they sounded decent.

MGBlues

Definately a yes!

Check out the SE 245 and Bernie Marsden models too. Both in your price range.

You may have an issue getting a nickel cover for the 52mm bridge pickup.. I'm not entirely sure as I gave up on that endeavour when I ordered the Bare Knuckles.

Got the Bernie Marsden. Great guitar. Just check the nuts on the SE's as they can be a little hit and miss. Other than that they're great guitars.

jo2012

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard lots of good things about them from friends. Can they get close to the tone of a Les Paul?

MGBlues

I've heard lots of good things about them from friends. Can they get close to the tone of a Les Paul?

Depends who you ask....

Guitarist magazine in the UK did a review of the Bernie Marsden and compared it to a Gibson Les Paul (Forget the exact model) and Bernie's '59 burst.

They felt the PRS SE was closer to the original '59 than the new Les Paul.

Having said that... It may be a magazine but it's still just one persons opinion isn't it?!?

Can you get to a shop and try out some SE's and some LP's?

My Bernie with the Bare Knuckles sounds very LP'ish to my ears.... But more a classic LP sound than some of the Gibson LP's i've played.

jo2012

Silver Supporting Member
Nice. I'm a big fan of Switchfoot and the frontman, Jon, uses PRS Guitars and I thought I'd get one and since I don't have a Les Paul, that this would come close to the tone.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
Big YAY from me! They are darn good guitars, regardless of price....they are AMAZING guitars at their current price!

My Bernie does a HELL of a LesPaul I tell ya!

bern1.JPG

Trending Topics

Top Bottom