1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

PRS Sell or keep

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Chippo, May 19, 2011.

1. Chippo

Chippo Member

Hey guys

Need some wisdom. I'm really keen for a strat and a fender amp. I'm finally growing up. I have a few guitars and amps so i definately dont need it. I'm tempted to sell my PRS McCarty soapbar which i havent played in a few years. It was my first good electric and I have since grown apart from it. It's one of the best guitars I own and is amazing but I'm just not digging it anymore but I'm always holding out thinking that one day I will. I'm tempted now to sell it to pay for some other stuff.

I dont think they make them anymore so thats another thing making me want to hang onto it for the future. I've always thought I would come back to it but the more time goes by the more I realize I'm kidding myself. Having said all that though I still love the guitar. I just love the others more.

What do you guys reakon?

2. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

By all means, keep it for a few more years.
    *rolls eyes.

3. Chippo

Chippo Member

Thanks champ...

Anyway. I only worry that I will regret it later cos its such a good guitar. Just wanna know if anyone else has had this.

4. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Sell it, so 10 years from now you can start a thread about how you miss it!:munch

5. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Well, in nearly 30 odd years of playing, I've got to say that I play the guitars that I love to (a) look at (b) hold (c) hear. If they don't tick all those boxes then they are just dust magnets.

Is there some other emotional tie to your PRS? Was it a gift from someone special, or perhaps your first guitar, or you played a memorable gig with it? If not, then yes, sell it.

Note: I see you are in Aus. as well - you should be able to get a good price for a PRS over here...

6. Chippo

Chippo Member

Thanks

Thats what I'm starting to think. I have no idea what they are worth now days. It was my first proper guitar if you will. Its just such a good guitar that unfortunately i dont dig right now. I'm thinking I'll never get back on it so maybe its time for a change

cheers

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  7. small axe

small axe Member

keep it...prs mccarty soapbars are nice guitars

8. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Soap bar mccartys are a dime a dozen. If you don't like it, sell it.

9. bkahuna

bkahuna Member

Sell it and get something you going to enjoy playing. Life is too short... Yada, yada.

10. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

how much u want for it?

11. grungebob

grungebob Member

Im in the same boat, Been a huge Fender player for years but got tired of their sound so got the PRS CU22 and loved it. About 2 months ago now I aquired a road worn tele in a trade for some gear I was selling and I love it (though I still hate relics?!). Everytime i pick up the tele it feels like home and the tone is where I want it to be, picking up the PRS I notice the huge difference in quality but the playability isnt to same for me as the tele plus I only play the prs in the coil tapped positions on the 5 way. Like you its my first "proper" guitar so im very reluctant to let it go.
    If im still not playing it in another few months I may be tempted to sell for more fenders.

I think if you havent played it for over a year there's a very good reason so, so you may as well sell it and get something you enjoy to hold ,hear and see.

12. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

You will be able to find another if you ever decide you want one again.

They are out there and PRS are so consistent, you won't find that it's irreplaceable.

Just sell it so somebody can get some use out of it.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've gotten rid of all the guitars I didn't love playing all the time. I'm down to one acoustic, two electrics and a hybrid.

I don't miss them, because the guitars I kept were that great.

If I didn't play a guitar for even just one year it'd be gone.

Same with amps.

14. THebert

THebert Member

If you don't play it, then sell it. Life is too short to TRY to like a guitar. Find one you do and then move on. Doesn't mean you may never come back to PRS, just not where you are at now-

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

You could sell it and buy a Klon!

16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

17. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I hope you're not comparing a strat and fender amp to "growing up." :mob I find myself playing my PRSi and 68RI more than my Fender, but that's for another thread...

Putting that aside, I totally know where you are coming from -- my first really GREAT guitar was a PRS McSoapy, a beautiful goldtop, nice and light, sounded great, played even better. It made me a better player. Over time, I gravitated more towards hums, and didn't play it nearly as much as I should have. Finally sold it, to a guy who loved it, and I don't regret it for a second, though I miss looking at her, from time to time. Take some photos, and move on.

18. JP~)

JP~) Member

every now and again i'm tempted to pick up a Kramer Pacer Custom 1 just because it's a guitar that I made noise with 25 years ago....then I move on.

Sell it and put the money towards a guitar that you will love playing...until you buy another guitar that you love playing....just buy used so you can repeat the process without losing money

19. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

have not mentioned which fender amp your looking at, P-90s with a 6v6 amp are amazing, converted my fender hot rod to 6v6s and mesa mark iv, pure tone heaven.

20. Halowords

Halowords Member

I'm in the "Sell It" camp. It sounds like these are not irreplaceable, you've tried to like it and like other stuff better, you sound like you know what you like and you have given this a chance to be your soul mate and it has not happened. You can sell it and either put the money toward something you do like, or even put it in the bank and get interest on it.

For all the good the guitar is doing collecting dust you are probably better off moving it. But that's just me. The guitar collectors in the room will have a different (and not entirely invalid) perspective. Still, from what you've said, I would say move the thing and get what you actually want or put it in your savings and collect interest until something you want/need comes along.

-Cheers