PRS Single Cut

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by keith_t4e, Sep 9, 2006.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm starting to get PRS gas. Which model. I prefer double cuts especially with the PRS body style. I like the set neck of the CU22; however, the maple cap on mahogany with the 4 bolt neck of the CE22 seems to have a slightly brighter less mid heavy tone. Alex Lifeson played the CE PRS for a while before he got all the models. Which ones and why? How does having the wrap around play compared to bridge and tailpiece? Do you all think the single cut with the tremolo is cool? I kinda of think it is. I like Blue Mateo and Natural on PRS guitars.

2. wheelman

wheelman Member

I personally would look for a pre 1995 ( 1994 and earlier) ce 24. It will be very versatile, and the feel, and tone surpasses any other PRS i've tried so far. I've owned quite a few. Including the singlecut with a trem. Matter of fact I like the feel of a trem so much I had the trem blocked ( now adays I wouldn't block it). Just because I like how low ( comfortable) it feel's on the palm muting and strumming in general. Also you will end up with the locking tuners which make string changes a breeeze. I LOVE the old PRS standard neck carve plus the neck and body pocket is tight. I've owned a PRS bolt on that had much more sustain than a set neck Mcarty. The blue Mateo is gonna be if you like it you like. I love to look at it, but i'm not sure I would like to have that color for a guitar. That's just me but I really like that color. The single cut had amazing bottom end. Something about the trem pickups I didn't care for though. They were crunchy but not quite crunchy enough for me. I thought I shouldn't have to pay another penny for pickups for a guitar in that price range. Dealers should ask what kind of pickups you want in the thing before they sell it at that price mark. I like the old HFS's in the older ce 24's they are real crunchy but articulate. Plus the backs were made out of alder which helps. Just great guitars. I've put HFS in a newer PRS ce 22, and didn't like it. Night and day compared to the older alder back tone. Which was a match made to shred!

3. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I love the wraparound bridges on PRS guitars, they remind me of the classic Les Paul Special wraparounds, except they're a step better IMO because they have little notches for the strings to rest in rather than it just resting on the top of the bridge. I've always preferred wraparound bridges because there are less parts and that means less movement on the strings = more sustain. On the flipside, intonation will never be perfect because there are no adjustable saddles to perfectly intonate each individual string (you intonate a screw on two sides of the bridge).

I like the Singlecut, but keep in mind they do not sound like Les Pauls. I've always liked the trems PRS has used, but I'm not a trem man personally.

What model you'll go for depends on what exactly you're looking for. I like the more body mass and beefy neck on the McCarty series and am obsessed with P90s so I opted for two McSoaps. I'm a huge fan of mahogany body/necks and set neck construction, so going for a McCarty standard just made more sense for me. The CE-22 is probably the best representation of PRS doing it's own thing inbetween Fender and Gibson.

4. wheelman

wheelman Member

I wish I had money to spend on a PRS singlecut in Black cherry, or tigers eye:drool . I want to try a stoptail one next. I did like the single cut trem just not the pickups. I pretty much like all PRS's just dig the older necks better. Back in the day I had a flamed maple top ce something in black cherry with a maple fretboard. I talked with customer service at PRS and they don't know what it could of been. Must be a newer guy working there, but I could kick myself for getting rid of it. Just an amazing looking and sounding guitar. It must of been from the 80's i'm thinking. I got it around 90.

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I definitely dig the SC hardtail. I got one about 2 weeks ago in trans-black. Killer guitar. I'm not into SC trems... If I want a trem I'll go with a Custom 22/24. I really think the hardtail adds a lot to the fat, thick, huge tone of the SC.

:AOK

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I hate coil splitters too, but the PRS sounds the best. I"ve allways been Gibson and Fender exclusively; however, both John Suhr and Paul Reed Smith make a darn good fiddle. Would the custom 22 sound more like a SG then.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

There are so many great models from PRS. If you do have a particular tone and spec you are looking for that will really help, such as:

- Bolt on or Set?
    - 22 or 24 frets?
    - Tone?
    - Price?

I would also invite you to BaM www.birdsandmoons.com
    You may find a few threads in there about PRSi.

Personally, I have owned almost all the models and there are all great! But, being I'm more of a vintage, 22 fretter, & LP tone guy I tend to faver the CU22, MAC (especially IRW models), and the ME. I also have a special place for my PS513, which is my "swiss-army-knife".

Go check out BaM...

8. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

+1... BaM is where you need to be for PRS talk!!! :dude

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I love my CU22 enough that I'll probably buy another just like it but in the Mateo Blue/Natural color. I didn't like the SC's at first because it was too much like a LP (I love LPs) and just seemed wrong, but a friend has one and it's a great sounding guitar. It's probably the closest tonewise to the LP, but not exactly the same. They are all great guitars.