PRS Singlecut - any experience????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by randall g, Nov 23, 2005.

1. randall g

randall g Member

Well, this guitar is the newest focus of my GAS.

I keep thinking about getting a Les Paul as I haven't had one in over 20 years - but the spotty quality and astronomical prices of the Historics have me looking at others such as the Singlecut. Does it have a thicker tone than the other PRS'? How does the upper fret playability compare to the Les Paul's rather limited (to me at least) access?

Lastly, please tell me about the playability and sound.

Also, if you ever read Robb Report Collection Magazine I have 3 gear reviews in the December issue. A little self-promotion (someone's got to do it).

happy Holiday to you all.

2. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

The sound is thicker and darker than a typical PRS, no doubt because of the extra mahogany from the thick body. Tone is huge. I think upper fret access is tough, as is with any singlecut.

They play just like a PRS should and sound to me like a PRS should but with a bigger bottom end.

3. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I believe that the scale length is what keeps it from playing/sounding just like a Les Paul
    'cause even a pickup swap won't quite get you there.

Great guitars none the less. You just about have to A/B them to see which you prefer.

4. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Hey Randall,

I rarely pass up a chance to post a picture of my SC.:D
    [​IMG]

After owning many different guitars over the years, the PRS Single cut has the most comfortabel neck (wide/fat) and perfect wraptail bridge, IMO. I love the shape of that neck and the wraptail is shaped perfectly for resting your palm while playing.
    Mine is about 8 1/2 lbs. and is balanced perfectly. I bought from a TGP bro in the Gear Page classifieds with no worries about workmanship and I was not disappointed, flawless build quality.
    I have a Duncan Seth Lover neck pickup and a Duncan '59 bridge pickup and the combination sounds great in all positions.

A SC doesn't sound exactly like a Les Paul but it has it's own sound. I'd say it's a little clearer and maybe not quite as warm. I like Les Pauls a lot so I won't knock them but one thing I like better about the SC is the lower strings are nice and crisp and the string to string to balance is more even than on a Les Paul, IMO. And yes, the upper string access is somewhat better on the SC because it's sculptured right in that cutaway. I always prefer single-cutaway (teles, Les Pauls, etc.) guitars anyway so that's not a big issue to me.

A couple weeks ago I thought about letting mine go as I was having a GAS attack for a Gretsch but I'm glad I didn't give in and try to sell it. For playing in bands I usually use both a clean sound and a somewhat distorted lead tone (and the SC does both very well). Last weekend I played a pseudo-jazz gig where I used the SC and my Top Hat Club Deluxe with just a clean sound and it was great for that situation, too.

There, that's my ravingly good SC review. I'm probably not usually quite so over the top about it but after last weekend, that's how I feel this week. Of the 4 or 5 bands I play in, two have said my SingleCut is their preference of the different guitars I've used.

5. randall g

randall g Member

wow that's a beautiful PRS Jimmy.

I guess soundwise the Singlecut will fall closer to an Anderson Cobra than a Gibson. A little less low end, or more "focused" as salesmen like to call it. "Less chunk" as we call it.

Thanks to all.

6. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I own both. I love both. The Les Paul is more comfy against my body, and the necks can be smaller(for me that's good). As for sound, the Prs is very close, way better upper fret access, and way better sustain. The pups don't seem powerfull, yet they sustain forever. The build quality blows away Gibson.

I have owned a dozens Les Pauls, and only 1 Singlecut. Of course this is just my experience and opinions. Like someone said, try a bunch and find what you like. (regardless of brand)

Larry

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I wouldn't say historics are "astroniomical" used R7's pop up for $1600 often and can be had for about $2K new. R8's are a little more then that.

I'm all about the LP, if you want LP tone get an LP, if you want a different PRS tone get a SC.

If I can solo in the 19th position on my R7 anyone can.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Hey Mr. Hanky,

I can't solo on the 19th position with my Les Pauls.:)

It probably doesn't help that I wear it low like Jimmy Page in the early 70's.:D

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Yeah but you look a lot cooler then I do!

10. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

JimmyJ, that singlecut is nice, but the ASAT next to it is one of the nicest I have ever seen.

Does it play and sound as good as it looks?

11. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Go to Apluss guitars and look at some of the ones they sold before the lawsuit. Have you thought about the Gibson R7 or the plaintop R8 for just about the same money---------right at 2,000 or so. I have to have an 01 or late lp standard as I absolutely do not like the Gibson production model standards after they changed them in 02. The single cut looks cool. I've seen Alex Lifeson with them. You can't go wrong either way. The fact that they were once halted in production makes me kind of want one but that is just the pathology of GAS.

12. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Thanks, sorry it took so long to answer. I haven't been around the confuser during the T-giving holiday.

It's an excellent sounding ASAT. With that saddle-lock bridge it just rings on and on. I special ordered it to get the flatter radius neck and had them do the scrape binding ala PRS as long as they were at it. I ordered alder even though they usually use ash for that 2 color sunburst because I wanted to mellow the tone a little. The ASAT pickups can be a little hi-fi and I like the way the alder body sounds a little better than ash with them. It's like a really big sounding tele and the volume/tone controls work great.

To be honest, it played wonderfully for the first year or so that I had it but now I need to get a little fret work done. It might just need more adjustment, but I can't quite get the action down to where I had it without the first fret fretting out on the D and G strings. It's been hauled around and used a lot so it's possible that it got hit on that fret.

BTW, thanks to Randall for complementing my SingleCut.:)

13. LeifK

LeifK Supporting Member

I love my SC goldtop.

The only gibson I owned was a studio and this blows that one away. I've had 2 other SC's in the past and those were both great guitars as well. Should have kept one of them...

It sounds big. I love it.

14. paullacey

paullacey Member

After 3 patchy LP standards I switched to the SC and haven't looked back.

If you can find a really good LP get it. If your buying off the internet or ebay where you can't try it before hand, go for the SC.

15. Occam

Occam Member

Those single-cuts have been on my wish list for quite awhile unfortunately moneywise I seem to never make it that far before some other "need" jumps in and drains my fundage.

16. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Lucky for you the appellate court over-turned Gibson's judgment against PRS - The prices have been steadily dropping whereas they were climbing earlier this year...

I've seen non-10 top/birdie versions going for about $1000 on Fleabay, of course they weren't in mint condition.

This time next year with the oncoming economic crisis you should see them going as cheap as the SE models were this year ;)

17. Occam

Occam Member

I stopeed checking awhile ago....but around a grand that's do-able for me and I don't mind one that's been a little loved.

18. paullacey

paullacey Member

I haven't seen any on the bay below $1500, let me know if you do as I'll get a couple....