PRS Singlecut fans?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, Jan 3, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Any SC fans in the crowd? I have a PRS CE-22 that I like a lot and used to own a McCarty which was nice but didn't compete with my LPs.

Now, I have tried a few Singlecuts but they never seem to sound as big and full as an LP or fill out as nicely, plus I think LPs play better.

Anyone find a good SC???

Just curious because I keep trying them when I can....

Thanks!

2. DanielT2

DanielT2 Member

The old PRS SC was superseded by the SC250 (hotter pu's, locking tuners) and the SC245 (more Gibson-esque scale length of 24.5").

For a bigger sound try an SC250, for a more Gibson like feel, try a SC245.

3. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I bought a 2001 PRS Singlecut 10 top as a collectors' piece before the Gibson litigation resolved. The idea was to put it under the bed and wait as it appreciated. Plan didn't work, as I started playing it more and more and now play it mostly. Have played a fair number of guitars but nothing has felt as good in my hands than this, including other singlecuts. Volume and tone knobs truly work on a 1 to 10 scale rather that "lots and little" as is the case with many. Build quality is great. I think the sound is a bit crisper than a similarly equipped LP, almost as if the pickups were set an inch back of where LP pickups would sit, if that makes sense. I just play for fun, and can't see selling it unless I run out of money. Her name is Paulette. Here's a picture of her .

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  4. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

they are ok, I guess

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  5. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Hey Rich!

I've been playing SC's now for over 7 years. I currently gig with 2 of them and couldnt be happier. I also really like LP's, and my current fav. LP is my R8. The LP's and SC's are different beasts but I like both. I think they compliment each other. The SC doesnt sound like the LP and vise versa but both have killer tone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  6. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Between the SC and SC245, I like the 245 better. I haven't gotten my hands on a 250...yet.

7. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

I've got one of the 2001 ltd editions with solid brazilian rosewood neck. This has a more mid biased sound akin to a Les Paul but they only made 250 of them. Another SC which was closer to a Les Paul in sound was the Tremonti which I kind of regret getting rid of. I'm not sure whether this had a different neck carve which might make a difference, but it had a hot wound ceramic pick up with no cover in the bridge position which really growled.

8. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I was out of guitar playing for many, many years...and had no idea PRS came out with a single cut. The day I realized this fact, was the same day it was made known that Gibson was giving PRS grief. I called every store in 200 miles, and not a one of them had a single cut in stock!

I'm glad all that is over...but now I'm not sure I can afford a single cut. I have wet dreams of a whale blue select 10 Top with an all rosewood neck.

I saw a 10 Top quilted in natural (clear coat) that just looked like white satin. It was $5500 or there abouts....I paid less then that for my last car...

9. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

That sounds like way more than they usually ask to me. Are you sure it wasn't an Artist package or had something else special about it?

10. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I had a great PRS Singlecut that was fabulous in every way; neck, tailpiece, balance, clear lows, full highs. If I didn't prefer P-90s to humbuckers, I'd still have that Singlecut.

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I dig my Singlecuts (one w/BRW neck, one a 20th Anny model). I like the fact that they have something of a LP vibe but Lesters aren't really a benchmark for me in terms of tone or feel. As a result, I'm not hip to the differences between a LP and SC nor do I particularly care.

I find the SC's ergonomics suit me better than the LP and I tend to prefer 25" scale guitars.

12. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I have an 02 R8 that has been my main gigging guitar for the last year. It is without a doubt the best LP I've ever owned or played. I've also been a PRS player for a long time, and always preferred the feel of a PRS. I picked this 07 Semi hollow Singlecut with brazilian board and locking tuners. It weighs 8lbs 4 oz (same as my LP), and rings like an SOB. It is a 25" scale, but the combination of the brazilian board, pickups and semi hollow cavity give it a very warm tone. I barely touch the LP anymore.

[​IMG]

13. ungarn

ungarn Member

I like the SC245...probably the only PRS I would consider owning...

14. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

No wonder. That looks sick :AOK

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks, I forgot those were available. Are they a big difference over the standard SC model? Why does the SC250 have a bigger sound? Just the pickups?

That '07 SC in this thread is semi hollow? I don't see any holes.....are they just internal cavities?

Maybe I haven't found the right one, but I just love LPs and always gravitate to my two standards even though I have played SCs. For some reason, they feel cumbersome to me personally, like something is not right. However, I liked the McCarty I owned but still never played it because I always picked up my LPs. Now, I have a CE-22 that I thikn is great, I think the Custom 22s and CE models are my favorites in the PRS line. The SC always cause me to compare to my LPs and I will always grab those first I guess.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

The SC250 is also the first PRS strung with 10's.
    I believe the pickups are hot too.
    With the 2 PRS' I have owned, I had to have them
    set up with 10's. Never understood why Paul prefers
    those wimpy, thin sounding 9's.
    I have an '02 Singlecut goldtop. No complaints here.
    It has a very full tone, plus great sustain. It's a keeper.

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I dig SCs and used to have a couple, now I'm down to 1 a killer Artist package in Raspberry at under 8lbs, I think 7.8 to be exact.

I think the new 245 is great and I prefer it over the 250.

I own plenty of LPs and I wouldn't recommend getting a SC if you are looking for a LP tone. If you want a true LP tone, nothing will compare to the real deal.

SCs have their own thing going on.

[​IMG]

The other that now belongs to a friend...

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  18. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

wow a sss trem single cut.PS?

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

It is kind of like the interview of read of Alex Lifeson where he talks about the PRS models not sounding as rich as a Les Paul and I thikn that is what I detect....less warmth. Anyway, it is personal preference...nothing more.:BEER

One guitar I thnk would be sweet to try is the Chafin Single cut! That man can build an axe!

20. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I've got #78/250 of the 2001 LE Brz SC run and I can assure you that I've NEVER heard an LP as acoustically resonant and warm as it. Not even 1958-1960 vintage models I've tried over the years...

With that said, the pickups leave something to be desired & I'm contemplating putting a set of Timbuckers in it :cool: