1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS Singlecut (non-trem) and Gibson R9 ...what would be your preference and why so ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I was reading a review in the latest issue of Guitarist mag and they feature the now back on sale PRS Singlecut guitar, I just adore the non-trem version as trems just dont do it for me at all.

Having played a singlecut once I can say , Yes they are one astonishingly good guitar, amazing build and super tones in the same package.

Id say the historic series lesters have a tough competitor with the singlecut indeed.

If somebody showed you a Singlecut (non-trem) and an R9 , which would you opt for and what would influence your final decision ?

Jimmy

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Tough question. I dig both. My influences would be price, quality, feel, sound, finish, mojo etc....
    Not necessarily in that order:)

I currently own 2 Les Pauls and 1 Prs Singlecut.

I tend to like Les Pauls necks, but like the Singlecuts reach. My Singlecut sustains like no guitar I own, and I own a few.

3. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

I`d prefer the R9, the VOS R9 to be exact. I just like the way they look now w/o all the bold flame and of course the tone is always there.:dude

4. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

gibson les paul 59 reissue............................no question about it......why/ cause i've been playing a real 59 les paul since the 70's.

5. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I'd take the R9, no questions. But I'm a Les Paul guy so I'm biased.The PRS is probably quite nice. They just don't do it for me on any level. Purely a personal observation.

6. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

Without a doubt the '59 reissue.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

- Nitrocellulos Finish my Friend! It Makes all the Difference in Tone!!!!!
    The Gibson Has it! - The PRS Does NOT!!!!!!!!!

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

the fact that the PRS has unhindered access to the very top frets , i thought this may have been a clincher for some. I adore my R9 but I gotta concede, the access to the upper frets is a negative issue for me.

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Not much response to the actual question.:confused:

What would influence your decision on one over the other?

Tone wise, it's a tough one. I have had at least a dozen Les Pauls over the years. I do love them. Then again, they never have sustained a note like my Prs Singlecut.

Quality wise, I'll take the Prs any day of the week.

Bring on the bashing, also don't agree with the nitro making all the difference. I say that with years of painting experience under my belt.

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i'd take a prs singlecut. i like the look, tone, feel, sound, name on the headstock, quality, and birds more than what gibson has to offer

11. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I have a PRS SC so keep that in mind on my response. I also have a Les Paul Special but that isn't really quite relevant.

Since I don't have to have absolutely the exact classic Les Paul tone I got the PRS. I have owned and played a lot of Gibsons over the years and I think they are great instruments so this isn't at all a knock on the Les Paul. The thing that makes that deal for me is the clear piano-like sound of the low strings on the SingleCut without any harshness on the high strings. The only other set-neck humbucker guitar I've had that had that kind of clarity and tone balance between the high and low strings was a Hamer Artist Mahogony.

I also find the SC wide/fat neck and wraptail bridge to be the ultimate in playing comfort.

12. amstaf

amstaf Guest

Without a doubt it would be a PRS. I think that they feel better all of the way around. I have a sct trem and a lester.

13. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

The aesthetics of the singlecut do absolutely NOTHING for me. I've owned two of their doublecuts & liked the design, but that singlecut is nothing short of a wannabee. LP's are the ONLY single cutaway I'll ever own ...

HT

14. Troy Baer

Troy Baer Member

For me, it'd be the Singlecut.

Why? Well, a couple years ago I went into the local GC to try out an amp. When the salescritter asked me what kind of guitar I wanted to use, I told him to grab "that gray Singlecut on the wall" on a lark... and I ended up buying the guitar rather than the amp. I just couldn't put the thing down, and no LP has ever spoken to me like that.

15. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Simple.

Vintage Mojo = R9 + Holmes H450 /H455

Modern Vibe = PRS SC + WCR Darkburst/GoodWood

:JAM

16. HHB

HHB Member

Jimmy have you lost your faith? R9 boy, R9 ( or a blk custom like Sykes! )

17. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Let me start by saying I grew up on LP's and have owned too many of them to count. I love the feel, tone, vibe and playability of LP's. I used LP's exclusively for 12 years. Then came along a PRS. I started out with a McCarty in 1998 (still have it) and got my first singlecut in 2000 right when they came out. My 2 main guitars right now are a Platinum Singlecut and a 05' R8 LP. I love both of them. They each have their own vibe going on.....that being said.....if I had to go down to only 1 guitar it would be my SC.

18. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I guess I have to say I'd take the PRS since I have a Singlecut on order. :eek:

As for why:
    • Knob layout. I like the way that the PRS has a knob within pinky distance. I'll probably rewire mine to have that as a master volume with two tone controls and a volume for the neck pickup.
    • Upper fret access. The neck joint is much easier to get around. The scoop in the lower bout helps a bunch, too.
    • Sound. I've never really got on with LPs (or Strats for that matter). I'm not really looking for the LP tone so why get one?
    • Looks. I'm not talking about pretty tops--I really don't like block inlays and prefer the PRS headstock.
    • Consistency. I don't want to have to run the racks to find a new guitar with a decent finish job that doesn't need fret work right off the bat.
    YMMV but that's how I decided how to spend my $$$.

19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

L/P - in an instant. No doubt about it. I have tried several PRS's, with rose wood necks, hollow bodies, single cut, trems and all...

Though they feel flawless and look great they just don't grab me like some LP's I have played. I have played alot of dog LP's though and none of the PRS were dogs but they didn't go home with me either. A good LP just, works well. It is probably a mental issue I have from watching guitar heros play LP's for the past 40 years.

20. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I went for an R9 when they announced no more braz fingerboards in '93. Seems to have been a good investment so far. Otherwise I don't think I could have talked myself and my wife into spending that much on a solid body.

If you want pretty wood and almost perfect fit and finish the singlecut is the best bang for the buck. For the price of an R9 you can just about get a Modern Eagle Singlecut. If you want an LP sound you'll still have to consider swapping pickups.

If you don't have to have pretty wood then a plaintop R8 or a goldtop R7 can be had for a very competitive price. It's tough to beat a good Lester.

LPs have the history and when Gibson gets it right they have tone to die for.

This Gibson lover would still like to have a singlecut in his collection, though. Then again, maybe next time I'll be looking into a smaller builder like Thorn or McNaught.

:YinYang