PRS Singlecut People

Johnny LaRue

Hows the upper fret access on these? My main beef with LP's are the horrible upper fret access. Looking at the heel on the PRS, it looks better, but I have never tried one myself, thanks!

Reactions: Roe

Synex7254

About the same on a Les Paul. All depends on the size of your hands really, I have no issues. You want good upper fret access with humbuckers, consider an SG.

zguitar71

With my Les Paul I can easily get to 15th fret with my index finger and 18th with my little finger. In other words playing scales at those frets is not a problem. Past that an it sucks for access. With my SC245 scales are easy from the 17th-20th frets. Beyond that the access is a bit of a pain but not as bad as the LP. The truth is I really don't spend much time up there with either guitar though.

Johnny LaRue

Well, I have one on the way, hope its better! I just remember trying to bend the high E a whole step on a LP is kinda a pain. I have pretty big hands so, we'll see...

Lewguitar

The Singlecut heal carve is very nice, I find upper fret access on them much better than LPs. YMMV.
Me too. No way does it feel the same as a Les Paul.

Much easier access on the PRS Singlecuts than on a Les Paul.

I have two PRS Singlecuts and they get as much playing time as my two Custom 22's.

Johnny LaRue

Me too. No way does it feel the same as a Les Paul.

Much easier access on the PRS Singlecuts than on a Les Paul.

I have two PRS Singlecuts and they get as much playing time as my two Custom 22's.

That makes me feel better, I used to have a CU22, stupidly sold it, got a killer deal on a used Singlecut so thought I'd give that a try.

jimmyj

I have 2 PRS Singlecuts and have A/B'd them with an R9 LP at a gig. Upper fret access was considerably better on the Singlecuts.

It's not just the heel difference. The cutaway is scalloped on the PRS.

Dr Slapstick

I went from two LP's to the PRS in my profile pic - Singlecut HBII. Fantastic guitar, and the upper frets have better access than on my (former) LPs.

Rocco Crocco

My Zach Myers SE neck heel and access is the same as my Les Paul... not that great.

Edit -- i thought singlecut was just a term to describe the guitar, not an actual model.

scott944

Funny, I just played one the other day to reconfirm that, for me, the double cut is the only way to go.

Reactions: C-4

jlb32

To me they are not that much different. The PRS singlecut is thinner, etc... but overall if you have problems with a LP then you will probably have problems with a PRS Singlecut. I own both but I am 6'4" and have fairly big hands. For me both are very comfortable.

wilblee

Hack sans shame
I have an SC250. I got it in a trade and once I got it set up, I sold my last, and favorite, LP. Fret access, and playability in general, was significantly better and I love the SC250 pickups. I thought, "Man, I gotta check out these PRS guitars."

So I got a DGT...

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
I have had my share of both. PRS wins hands down on the upper fret access. Still love a Les Paul like no other....

cust22

Silver Supporting Member
Les Paul's kill my hand when I try to get above the 18th fret. I have medium sized hands. I have a PRS sc250. And I have no problems at all with upper fret access. Very comfortable to play.

wilblee

Hack sans shame
To me they are not that much different. The PRS singlecut is thinner, etc... but overall if you have problems with a LP then you will probably have problems with a PRS Singlecut. I own both but I am 6'4" and have fairly big hands. For me both are very comfortable.

Gotta disagree. My SC250 is not noticeably thinner nor lighter than my LP, but where I had problems with every LP I played, the SC250 gave me no such problems.

jlb32

Gotta disagree. My SC250 is not noticeably thinner nor lighter than my LP, but where I had problems with every LP I played, the SC250 gave me no such problems.

Sounds like you prefer PRS necks. The necks are different. I know my PRS Singlecut neck feels much different from any of my Gibson Les Paul necks. I like them all though.

Thickness wise the Singlecuts are usually 1/2 inch or so thinner. My 2002 PRS Singlecut is a solid body but only weighs around 7.5 lbs. Most of my LP's are around 9 lbs. My LP Custom is around 10 lbs. Not a huge difference for me personally but you can feel the difference easily when picking them up.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom