PRS Singlecut pickup recommendation

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by reussen2907, Aug 17, 2015.

1. reussen2907

reussen2907 Member

Hi all,

I am looking to put some new pickups in my 2001 PRS Singlecut. It came with PRS #7 pickups, which I replaced with Lollar Imperials. Now, I replaced my amp (Matchless Chieftain) with a Friedman Brown Eye for a new project. Somehow, the PRS with Lollars does not agree with the Friedman.

The project I am in is a covers band. We play a lot of Foo Fighters and stuff like that. I feel that my PRS, which sounded great with my Matchless, has trouble with the hi-gain stuff. I am having a hard time describing what I hear, but it feels like she's too much "all over the place".

Is a PAF-esque pickup not the way to go for this setup? I am looking for something that will rock, but will still let the guitar breathe and sound like itself. Makes sense? What have you guys tried and liked in a PRS Singlecut with a higher gain Marshall-esque amp?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. FennRx

FennRx Member

Wcr godwood

kwd1987 likes this.
  3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I'd want something a little hotter with better bottom end, like the Dimarzio Air Norton.

4. reussen2907

reussen2907 Member

WCR.. never heard of those pickups. Will look into it; tx!

5. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

PRS's own 59/09? or the 57/08? (the latter you need to send it to PTC to get them installed though)

6. reussen2907

reussen2907 Member

Yeah these were my first thought.. I do find them expensive though. I can get a 59/09 (new) Bridge Pickup for no less than €230,-. That's a pretty steep price...

7. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I threw a set of EMG 57/66 in my Tremonti and it sounds unbelievable. They aren't your typical EMG's, they sound very full and rich, especially with my Friedman's in the AxeFX.

8. FennRx

FennRx Member

They aren't that great. The SCs I've played with those factory installed never impressed me. They aren't terrible but there are tons of Better PAFs imho.

Jim Wagner is competitively priced as far as boo teek pickups go. And he stocks everything and often ships same day.

I had a weight relieved sc245 and the godwood really helped to get that fat vintage sound I was looking for with my Marshall.

reussen2907 likes this.
  9. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Here's what I did to my DC22: I wired the controls for volume/volume as I like to blend the neck and bridge pickups, sold the '59/09's, had Ian A wind me a 7.1k/A4 neck and an 8.2k/A2 bridge and installed a treble bleed (.001/220k resistor) on the neck volume control. Much, much better!

[​IMG]

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Lollars are very mild wound PAF type pickups. 8k and under....For what you want, IMHO, which is more for what I go for as well, I'd suggest the Zhangbucker Duane plus.. It's 10K ohms... Punchy as hell.. And he makes others that are even beefier. His prices are very reasonable.. $90 for a humbucker... I've had Lollars, WCR, Duncan's ect.... Zhangbuckers to my ears are much more 3 d sounding.. I love there stuff

reussen2907 likes this.
  11. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've got a PRS Singlecut Trem that came with the 7s and I put a set of Suhr Aldrich pickups in there and they absolutely scream. Think hot PAF with great harmonics. Best pickups I've heard in a PRS and I've had a few.

reussen2907 likes this.
  12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

This- my fav humbucker of all time. Great single coil tones too. Sweeter than a JB and clean up well rolling back vol with a mild treble bleed. Nice low mid punch.

Check this guy's videos.

jordans0nly and reussen2907 like this.
  13. Kelly

Kelly Member

Im using Dimarzio Air Norton/ AT-1 combo in my PRS. Great for the higher gain. Just make sure you clip the stock PRS treble bleed. It thins out the tone a little much.

14. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Maybe s Duncan Custom 5? PRS HFS?

PAF style has limitations. Classically voiced midrange won't get modern, you may have to go for a hotter, fuller wind as a baseline...

15. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

I put some sheptone brian kahanek's in mine. Before you decide on something else, at least give yourself a 5 minute window to listen to clips from these and his other humbuckers. My Bernie is loving the BK set.

reussen2907 likes this.
  16. reussen2907

reussen2907 Member

Thanks for all the great input guys; there's a lot to look into!

17. DamianL

DamianL Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    reussen2907 likes this.
  18. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

If you're trying to figure all of this out still, probably all of these are good ideas. Now start narrowing down to about five and then choose based off your needs (price, availability, options).

19. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

My answer for all things humbucker is always a Duncan JB.

20. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I have a 2000 Singlecut. I've tried a bunch of pickups... WCR, Throbak, Duncan, etc. Currently have Duncans: Jazz in the neck and Slash Alnico in the bridge. I know what you mean about PAFs, I've always found that style to sound unfocused and flubby. The Slash is much better for Friedman crunch to my ear. I've been intrigued by the Railhammer concept and just got a great deal on a pair. I'll let you know how they sound.

reussen2907 likes this.