PRS Singlecut Questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redbell, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

Now that the lawsuit is over:
    1. Will there be 2005 Singlecuts out soon or will it take a while? Basically, have they been making them & storing up a backlog of them in a ware house somewhere in Maryland?
    2. Do you own one? If you do what is your opinion? If you don't why?
    3. Are you pleased with the decision the Judge handed down?
    4. Will they be the same as before or will they be changed in any way?
    5. Why do some have 4 knob layout like a Les Paul & some only have two?

To answer my own Questions:
    1. No idea but I'll be looking for them anytime I walk into a PRS dealer. I can't afford one but that's never stopped me from looking!
    2. Yes, I got one in a trade & am really enjoying it.
    3. VERY!
    4. The only thing I might change is the vibrato system.
    5. I don't know - mine only has two.

2. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

1. PRS says on their website that they will begin making them again. No idea how soon they'll be available.
    2. Yes. It's a great guitar but I slightly prefer my LP Special. I think the p-90s are a little more fun to play but the PRS neck and stoptail are perfect, IMO.
    3. Yes, the original decision was goofy, IMO.
    4. Sounds like they'll be the same but I don't know for sure.
    5. I guess they thought that those that prefer non-trem would like a 4 knob set-up and those that like a trem would like the more PRS-like 2 knob. It holds true for me. I like the 4 knob but I did re-wire it to Les Paul style lay-out. My hand goes right to that spot for a bridge pickup volume control so there was no advantage for me to have it be the closer knob (the way the SC was initially set up).

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I can only answer some of your questions. 2,3 AND 5.

2.Yes I own 1. I really, really like it. I'm pretty much a Les Paul man, but the Prs really is different. I prefer the way most Les Pauls feel against my body, and the smaller necks some have. But, the Prs has a sustain like no other guitar I own.(and I own a few!) The workmanship on the Prs is stellar of course.

3. I'm very happy with the decision. I think people should have a choice. I know visually they are similar, but playing them is a whole different story.

5. The 4 knob model has a stoptail bridge and no tremelo, the 2 knob model has a tremelo and different pickups.

Larry

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

They were ordered to stop making them, not to throw out any ones they already had in production. I would guess we'll start seeing them in a month or two as they are able to re-inject the sidelined guitars back into the production line.

I had one for a couple years and really liked it. As with the vast majority of other PRS guitars, it was simply a top-notch instrument. The control layout was confusing, but I rewired it to my own liking. I ended up selling it because I had to pay for a custom guitar AND it was the heaviest guitar I had - at least 12 lbs - so even though I really liked it, it wasn't a difficult choice to make.

If PRS makes them available with the options I'm looking for in a single cutaway LP style guitar, specifically IRW neck and P-90 pickups, I'll most likely buy another one some day.

I'm pleased with the judgement because I think Les Pauls and Singlecuts, although visually similar, are quite different guitars.

--chiba

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Wow ... is that typical ? To me 8- 8.5 is "bowling ball" weight .

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

Maybe we won't see the original single cuts get ridiculous bids like this one any more...

7. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The 4 knob SC is thicker than the trem 2 knob SC too so they are really quite different from each other.

8. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Mine's about 8 1/2 lbs.

Perfect weight and balance, IMO.

9. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Local PRS dealer told me he would have some new Singlecuts in approx 3 weeks.

10. BKRMON

BKRMON Member

I guess the vaule of my Singlecut SE just went down the tubes.

My Brazilian Singlecut number 220 of 250? Doesn't matter, it's not going anywhere, anyhow. :D

11. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

I absolutely love SC´s specially one i bought for a friend and cried it wasn´t for me :D
    Anyway i only like the fixed bridge one, better than any LP i´ve played except a couple of 59s. They are heavier than Historic Paul tough, at least the ones ui´ve played.
    Sound is very similar but no completely, to me the SC sounds clearer, has more definition, less output and an abolutely-to-die-for-sustain (never ended!!!!)