PRS SingleCut

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Got one on ebay, on it's way (I'll be at work when it arrives :(
    So, what to expect??? Apparently it's a nice humbucker guitar, but does not sound like an LP? What does it sound like! My first PRS, I'm nervous :crazy
    This one has #7 pickups.

2. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

It's hard to describe... It's warm and glassy, or the one I played was, with cleans that made my heart mealt... The way it overdrives is so natural and thick. I *gasp* prefer the tone to any LP I've yet discovered!

3. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Congrats on your new axe. You can expect a guitar with great build quality, tone, and playability. Enjoy!

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

The 25" scale is longer than a LP. The wide fat neck
    is wonderful. The #7s are ho-hum. I replaced mine
    with Dimarzio 36th Anniv PAFs...now we're talkin!
    You can expect nice full tones with a big bottom.

5. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

The best guitar I have ever played was my 2001 Singlecut Goldtop. Wide Fat neck (changed the #7s to burstbuckers) -- this guitar felt extremely comfortable, played like butter and sounded magnificent.

Wish I had the money to get it back :) BUt hey, just got an 83 Les Paul Standard thats rocking my face off.

Congrats, you'll love it.

6. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Great guitars, I didn't really care for the #7's. I'm selling mine and going back to LP's though, I just never really fell in love with the Singlecuts like I did LP's.

7. mattsblues

mattsblues Member

What SC model is it?

8. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I had one for a few years and it's the most perfect humbucker guitar I ever owned, and I've owned a lot. I eventually realized I am a tele or P-90 player so I sold it.

Perfect balance, ergonomics, played probably the best of any guitar I've owned and only weighed about 8-8 1/2 lbs. I had Duncan '59s in it which were a little clearer than the #7 pickups.

Maybe it was a little too perfect to be right for me. :)

9. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Which model is it, Singlecut, 245 or 250? I have a Singlecut and I like it. It's got a fairly modern sound with a bit of glass on the top end, but it's a little bit mushy in the low end. Plays nice and sounds good. Got mine on eBay, too.

10. Gasp100

I believe it's a plain old Singlecut (2003?) in basic black. I forgot to ask if it has the cool scraped maple binding on the sides. I prefer no birds, no frills and I was searching for a more ergonomic LP "style" guitar. I was about to go back to MIJ LP's, but I've had so many and I wanted to stay USA this time around as well. I'm also VERY intrigued by that wraparound bridge/tailpiece -- I've always dug the Specials and the Gibby Histroric R4's but while they sounded (and looked great) I had tuning stability/plinking issues with them a little bit. Also, I've never even played a PRS so it should be a treat. Here 'tis (not my picture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Mine was an 01, I believe. It was a fancy one with the birds and the trans black flame top.

I loved the neck and the fretwork was some of the best I've encountered in a production guitar. The weight was great. Tuning stability was also first rate. All in all, everything you'd expect from a brand with a reputation for great build quality and fine playability.

My only problem with the guitar was, as a traditional blues player, it seemed voiced more for modern rock tones. Even changing the pickups to my favorite Duncan Phat Cats only got it a little closer. Don't get me wrong. Nothing at all bad about the sound. Great depth of tone with a nice even response. Just not my sound. I wound up selling in favor of a Hamer Monaco Elite, which, to my ears, was a much more traditional sounding guitar. Ultimately it didn't matter because I'm now pretty much off of set neck solids. But that's my take. The Singlecut's a great guitar. And if you dig the tone, I doubt there's anything you won't like.

12. captain_bob

captain_bob Member

Congrats! I'm sure you will love it. Be sure and post a tone report when you get it. I'll be waiting since I've been gassing for one. I have 2 McCartys and absolutely love the feel and quality. I can't wait to add another.

13. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I think you will really like it. I know I love mine and actually like the #7 pickups also.

14. BarryJ

BarryJ Supporting Member

Ha! I was watching that exact guitar on the 'bay - Singlecuts have started to creep on to my GAS list.

Hit me up if you get bored with it........................

:)

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah, I reluctantly agree regarding the pickups. It's a fabulous guitar that sounds killer with something more PAF-like.

16. shane88

shane88 Member

oh that's easy > it sounds exactly like a PRS singlecut

17. Gasp100

BarryJ, I was so close to grabbing your CE22 it was ridiculous. But I had so many irons in the fire, and truth be told I was leaning heavily towards a Hamer Monaco Elite (a few actually). This auction just plodded along for what seemed like an eternity and finally I said screw it, put a bid and left for the day. Came back and I won.
    FWIW there is (was?) a Gold Top Singlecut that looked like a beauty on ebay as well, but there was one or two dings that dropped it down just a tad for me; If it's still up it's a BIN or best offer and I know the guy is willing to deal.

Still up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=320462439801&Category=33045&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

I'll shoot you a note if the Singlecut doesn't fit for me; I'm more than willing to experiment with pup swaps in this one as well, and I guess I'm more of a rock player than a blues player too so I'm pretty psyched.