PRS Soapbar or Soapbar II??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

So in my quest for a P-90 axe I've been flip flopping with a few models and I keep coming back to the PRS SE. I played an SE SB-II a few weeks ago and really felt like it had good promise. I've noticed however on Harmony Central that the original SB gets better reviews. I personally like the look of the double cutaway MORE, but are there other aspects of the guitar that would make the older ones better than the newer? The whole lawsuit thing does nothing for me either way....I'm just looking for a good P-90 axe for a decent price.

Others that I've considered but have not heard are:
    Fender TC90
    SG Classic
    G&L ASAT
    Axis Super Sport (more $$)

I love the way the Ernie Ball plays, but I'm not sure the sound is there for me. Of course, I could always drop some Lollars in it and call it a day, but I suppose the same could apply to any of the guitars I mentioned.

So, does anyone have some experience or opinions that they'd like to share on the Soapbar guitars?

Thanks.

2. B3Nut

B3Nut Member

I don't think there's much of a difference between the original SE Soapbar and the SE Soapy II other than the double-cut body. The pups and hardware were the same, maybe the II has a little more body mass, but the ones I've played (including mine) have been pleasingly resonant guitars.

I am tossing around the idea of dropping a set of Lollars in it at some point, though...not that the stock pups are bad, but they could use a little more teeth.

TP

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

While your at it you may as well look at the hamer import gold top p90. I've seen them in the high $200 range. The PRS is nice though.

4. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

The ASAT doesn't really belong on the list. I have an ASAT and it's a fabulous sounding guitar but those MFD pickups are rather scooped-mid and a P-90 has a lot of midrange. They're similar in output, though.

5. LHanson

LHanson Member

Never played the original. I have a SoapyII and it's great. Very light in weight, good neck feel and great pickups. Tuners could be nicer, but they work just fine.

6. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I thought there was an ASAT out there with their own P90's?

7. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

They have 2 different sized MFD pickups. The ASAT Classic looks similar to a regular tele and the pickups are about the same size as on a tele.
    The ASAT Special, which I have, has 2 large MFDs that look a little like a P-90 although they are narrower and have the mounting screws on the end of the pickup. These are the pickups I was describing before as scooped-mid.
    Now that you mention it, there are a couple new models with pickups that look like P-90s in the neck but the G&L website describes them as extra fat MFDs. I assumed they sound similar to the other MFDs since the MFD design is a lot different than a normal pickup design but, since I haven't played them, I shouldn't say. There might now be an ASAT that uses a regular P-90 but I haven't seen anything about one.

8. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Gotcha 'jimmyj', thanks for the clarification.

9. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I was playing both an SE Soapbar II and my Soapbar in the store the day mine chose me... I took the Single Cut but could have been happy with either - I just liked the way the SC hangs on a strap... ;) My SC seemed a tad lighter than the Soapy II as well, and with my back that was a big plus!! They didn't sound exactly alike plugged in, but there weren't really any substantial tonal differences - just the little things you'd expect to hear as often as not when comparing two of the same model guitar... I'd say just pick the one you like the best and don't sweat it...

That being said, if I could keep only one, I'd never give up my Axis Super Sport MM90 for my SE Soapbar SC... As good as the SE is, it can't compare to the smooth playability and complex growl of an Axis Sport with EBMM's P90 pickups in it... The Sport's not as grunty - more a Tele on steroids than a Les Paul Special vibe - but it does so much so well that it's been my go-to guitar for years. Killer instrument, and well worth seeking out...

10. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

11. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I lean towards the Axis...it just played sooooo well to me. I've had my eyes out for a used one to fit my fancy, but I may end up just ordering what I want and calling it a day.