PRS Sonzera 20 Watt Combo any thoughts on it?

skunizzi

I just saw that PRS has released the Sonzera 20 watt tube combo. I'm wondering if any of you have tried it. The videos online are mostly hype by the company and I'd like to hear some honest review of it if you've tried it.

Let me know...

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
My personal thoughts are that with NAMM coming up shortly, I would wait to see what's in the overall pipeline. I'd hate to make a purchase now and then change my mind when new rollouts are showcased in a week. I think it is good marketing on PRS's part to try and beat the rush and maybe get some early buzz..............but I would wait.

skunizzi

My personal thoughts are that with NAMM coming up shortly, I would wait to see what's in the overall pipeline. I'd hate to make a purchase now and then change my mind when new rollouts are showcased in a week. I think it is good marketing on PRS's part to try and beat the rush and maybe get some early buzz..............but I would wait.

Yes I agree. Don't want to jump the gun. Just window shopping for now. Still would like to get some opinions on this. I've always felt that PRS amps were close but no cigar type of amps. Maybe its just me?

Artb

Going by the youtube vids posted by PRS, it looks like a possible contender in its price range. The only thing that gives me pause is the "bright switch permanently set to ON" for the clean channel. It brings to mind the Fender 65 DRRI - how it sounds like arse with drive pedals until you get the amp really cranked.

tone4days

disappointed that the videos don't show much of what the lead channel can / can't do
Ewald and Lettieri make it sound great doing their thing (knudson too) ... but i'd need to hear what that lead channel can do for a singing/soaring/not-fizzy tone at reasonable volume

skunizzi

disappointed that the videos don't show much of what the lead channel can / can't do
Ewald and Lettieri make it sound great doing their thing (knudson too) ... but i'd need to hear what that lead channel can do for a singing/soaring/not-fizzy tone at reasonable volume

Yes I agree with you. I felt the same way. The videos kind of suck in that its mostly talking and there is no tweaking of the amp shown to give us a better idea of the range it offers. I also thought that the drive sounded kind of thin and fizzy. Not well defined. I guess I will have to wait for more "real" video reviews....

pedalcr8z

My Laney Lionheart was built in China and it's excellent. Writing gear off without ever trying it just because it MIC is dumb.

My comment was in reference to me being in the electronics business for 36 years, namely high end audio. When our vendors started shifting production to China the quality control suffered and the actual sound quality lost it's ability to convey an actual live performance so please don't just "assume" I have no experience and that my comment was "dumb"...............I'm glad you enjoy your Laney, Ive heard nice things about them.

Serenity

My comment was in reference to me being in the electronics business for 36 years, namely high end audio. When our vendors started shifting production to China the quality control suffered and the actual sound quality lost it's ability to convey an actual live performance so please don't just "assume" I have no experience and that my comment was "dumb"...............I'm glad you enjoy your Laney, Ive heard nice things about them.
Your comment comes across as just bashing all MIC products, and regardless of your experiences with some other MIC products that doesn't mean they are all bad. Now if you've had experience with MIC PRS amps and have found them to be rubbish that's fair enough, but blanket trashing something just based on it's country of origin without ever trying it IS dumb. Of course PRS could have built these in the USA using the same parts, labeled them Assembled In The USA, and charged double the price for the same amp. No one would be moaning about country of origin, they'd be moaning about the price.

pedalcr8z

Your comment comes across as just bashing all MIC products, and regardless of your experiences with some other MIC products that doesn't mean they are all bad. Now if you've had experience with MIC PRS amps and have found them to be rubbish that's fair enough, but blanket trashing something just based on it's country of origin without ever trying it IS dumb. Of course PRS could have built these in the USA using the same parts, labeled them Assembled In The USA, and charged double the price for the same amp. No one would be moaning about country of origin, they'd be moaning about the price.

As I stated I'm glad your experience with Laney has been positive however MY experience with Sony, Pioneer, Hitachi, Denon, Yahaha, Onkyo, Kenwood, Polk Audio, Klipsch............just to name a few is the nucleus of my comment. So let's end this quibble with a bit of English humor even YOU will appreciate...........do yo know why the English drink warm beer..................because they have Smith & Lucas refrigerators!

Last edited:

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Every time I hear a new amp that sounds not-so-good (and not just to me, but to almost everyone, e.g. the drive channel on Fender Hot Rods), I wonder why the designer just decided to leave it like that. I mean, the individual parts costs inside of amps are a few cents to a few dollars each, so why not change resistors, capacitors, etc. or mod the circuit a bit until the damn thing sounds good? Even the price difference between a cheapo output transformer and a good one is probably only $25 at manufacturer's cost.

Not saying these new PRS amps fit that description, but I wouldn't be surprised if the general consensus ends up being that they ain't that great sounding.

ridethatbike

Yea, the demos on YT aren't very compelling. The amp really sounds harsh in both channels, but I'd still be interested to hear them demo'ed when some non-PRS guitars.

skunizzi

This new one of the 50 sounds pretty good to me:

Yes it's a little better. Still hard to tell if it is too brittle sounding or fizzy. Micing has a lot to do with it. I'd feel more confident watching a few more amature videos of the amp first.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom