1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS stock nut and string gauge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

What's the biggest string size the stock PRS nuts can take without needing nut widening? Would I be able to go to 10-46 without any problems? And what string guage do you prefer on your PRS?

Thanks!:JAM

2. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

I have put 10-46 on every PRS I've owned with no problems.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, they're fine with 10-46 - but you will need to open out the grooves a little for 11-49, which is what I use.

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I like the mixed 9-11-16-26-36-46 set (D'addario EXL125), which to me have the best of both worlds, i.e. the easy bending of 9-42s and the stronger and tighter bass of 10-46s, plus I think they also give a better tonal balance between the plain and wound strings. The tech at Chandler UK recommended them to me when I first took my CE22 for a set-up years ago and never looked back, I use them in all my guitars. Oh, and no problems with the nut.

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

I personaly put 10-46 on my PRS without any problem.
    I would add that this guitar sounds much better with this gauge than with lighter strings.

6. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks guys!
    For raising the action on these, probably just a little, would it be better to start with the saddles before I adjust bridge height?

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

DO NOT adjust the bridge height first - do it LAST, if at all. Definitely start with the individual saddles.

And actually, I'd start with checking the truss rod adjustment. It's not rocket science to set up a guitar, but I've seen WAY MORE smart people screw them up than I've seen do it right.

I think you're asking for big trouble if you start adjusting the bridge height on a PRS. The fact that you are asking this question leads me to think you don't have a lot of experience with this particular portion of the setup.

If I were you, I'd leave it to someone with more experience. Sincerely, it isn't just a matter of raising each little allen screw a quarter turn - there's more to it than that.

No 'dissing' intended here. It sounds to me like you need to have a pro look at it and set it up if it's not to your liking. The difference between a well set-up guitar and a complete disaster is miniscule - tiny measurements and adjustments make huge differences in the way a guitar feels.

With a nice axe like a PRS, get it done right. Cost you maybe $30 - $50 bucks max.

Also, if you're moving to a heavier gauge, that should pull on the neck a little harder, and on the trem a little harder. The neck pull will increase the relief in the neck, making the action 'feel' higher, and the additional pull on the trem will actually raise the action slightly.

Moving to heavier strings alone might just raise the action to where you like it. If it does, and the action is too high, try tightening the trem claw 1/4 per side - see if that makes the difference - that's an easy one to do right.

I don't mean to sound self-righteous on this subject, and I don't mean to lecture. There is a lot of detail involved in guitar set up, and each detail makes a difference. (This rap is known as "Dana's broken record")

My $.02 worth, Dana

8. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I had to widen my nut slots a bit for my McCarty when I put .010s on it. There was no tuning stability issues, just that tiny ping when tuning up.

9. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the info guys!