• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS Stripped 58 or new SC245 rather than Les Paul

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
I love Les Paul tones, but have come to the realization that my small hands and playing style cannot conform to the LP heel that prohibits me accessing higher frets. I've tried! LP Axess versions are hard to find near me and not certain it would meet my needs anyway.

I'm looking for as close as I can get to a LP tone but with accessible higher frets. I know "nothing sounds like a LP" and I've heard " f you want a LP get a LP". But I'm not going to because I simply can't play one properly unless I stay in lower registers all the time.

I have an opportunity nearby where several Stripped SC 58s are available. I'm also interested in the new version of the SC245. Could people with experience with the SC 58 (stripped or otherwise) or the new SC245 give me thoughts and insights on theirs experience with these PRS guitars please? Might even try to hunt down a used SC58 (unstripped).

Thanks!

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
You are basically looking at the same guitar when comparing those models. Only difference is that the newest of the new 245's now have binding and a rosewood headstock veneer. The sc58 and and the new 245's are even closer to being the same guitar. Tone-wise, either of those will give you very convincing LP tones...not 100% but close. I personally went with the 245 over an LP for the ergonomics of the guitar and outstanding build quality but ultimately found that I prefer the tone of the PRS as well. There's a bit more definition to my ears and it still has the ability to get heavy as hell if need be. I will say that I'm not the biggest fan of the 2 piece bridge when compared to the one piece bridge found on the Ted McCarty 245's and the early regular 245's (although I HATE the old 245 treble and bass PU's). The one piece just offered a thicker tone to my ears. The 2 piece bridge isn't bad per se but just didn't quite do it for me. It may be a totally different experience for you and there may be differences in the newest 245's. It's all subjective in the end. Good luck in your search! PRS makes some of the finest guitars on the planet IMHO :D

Last edited:

Tim Plains

245s are weight relieved unless that changed recently. I owned two and they do not sound like Les Pauls. Another suggestion is play many SGs because you may get lucky and find one, like my SG VOS, that honestly sounds like a great historic Les Paul should.

dank

Consummate Beatles Fan
Gold Supporting Member
I sold my '59 RI Les Paul and asked bought a stripped 58 in Tiger Burst. I had Lollar Low Wind Imperials installed, and I love it. Much lighter and zero intonation issues up and down the neck. I was pleased with the decision.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
I sold my '59 RI Les Paul and asked bought a stripped 58 in Tiger Burst. I had Lollar Low Wind Imperials installed, and I love it. Much lighter and zero intonation issues up and down the neck. I was pleased with the decision.
I sold an R9 as well along with a Custom LP when I found the Ted McCarty 245 model. Just hit home with me in a way the Gibson's didn't.

Puckbucker

Do these guitar both have 57/08s? You may have your heart set on a single cut but I see Wildwood Guitars 1 Modern Eagle II left (NOS -2010) that has 57/08s and they are very nice guitars.

Hope you find what you like. It's never easy.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the insights everyone. Wildwood is a great shop with great stuff for sure - bought a strat from them a few years ago. I already have a few PRSs, including a Singlecut Trem with the older pickups (7's?), and a Custom24 w/ 59/09s. I'm looking for a non-trem guitar for classic rock and blues based rock. I really dig the 57/08s on the stripped 58. Selling an R9 for Stripped 58 or 245 says a lot! I do love PRS - build quality and stable tuning!

SG will be explored. I've played a few 335s which were enjoyable too. I''ll check out that M. Eagle!

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
You will end up in the same place with either choice. An extremely well built guitar that is not quite a great Les Paul.

However, most Les Pauls out there are also not great Les Pauls.

I would agree that there are other guitars out there that will get you very close to Les Paul tone but do not look anything like a Les Paul or feel anything like a Les Paul but can sound like a Les Paul.

Having said that, you first have to define what Les Paul tone you are really after as your main focus - screaming leads through a Plexi vs. jazzy warm chords through a Fender Blackface something or an entirely different spectrum.

I actually ended up with an early PRS McCarty that, for some reason, out Lestered 2 fine Les Pauls that I owned playing gritty blues based rock.

I've had that guitar for 15 years and have never looked back.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks Slipbeer. I think my problem is I like so many LP (and other classic Gibsons) tones!

From Gary Moore's blues and rock phases, Classic Zepp/Bad Co., Allmans, early Rush, Gov't Mule, etc. I like them clean and driven. Hardest rock would be the Zepp/Rush-type tones.

ixnay

I've got a Stripped '58 and have owned a few other SC245, SC58, etc.

They aren't LPs, other than being a similar shape...

Whitecat

The two-piece bridge on the Stripped/SC58/current SC245 gets you closer to the so-called 'LP' experience for sure, tonally. The guitar does sound more 'vintage.'

It's not the same thing but it's a lot more similar than the "old" SC245 with the #7 pickups and the one-piece stoptail. The 57/08s are a big part of that.

Last edited:

cvriz

Ive been down this road a few times, inbox me if anyone wants Sc245s at great prices. Theyve been played, great guitars, I just so much more prefer any Historic Les Paul. Cant beat the real thing.

Trea

I have a few Les Pauls and an original single cut. I play the SC most of the time. It does not sound exactly like a LP, it has a little less low end girth to my ears. That's probably due to the scale length more than anything. I have not tried a SC245. I will say that build quality is far better on the PRS, but all of them are good instruments. Like most things you are going to have to try it to make up your own mind. Good luck in your search.

jimmyj

I have 2 PRS Ted McCarty Sc245 guitars, one with Fralin P-90s and the other with the stock 57/08 pickups. The 57/08s are the only stock pickups I haven't replaced in about 20 guitars in 15 years. They are my favorite humbuckers I've ever had.
A friend that plays in one of our bands fairly often brings his R9 Les Paul and a Budda amp that sounds great but I'd say my Ted's through my TopHat sound just as good. That LP is a great guitar but for me, I prefer the tone and playability of my PRS. Especially since the 2 of them together are about the same price as the R9 alone. The necks on the R9 and the humbucker Ted are very similar but the R9 has lower frets. I personally find the PRS one piece wraptail the most comfortable and solid tailpiece and with mine anyway I've never had any intonation problems.

editted to add:

BTW, you're right on about the upper fret access on the PRS. Not only the way the heel is carved but also the cutaway is sculpted to facilitate upper access. I think the SC has even better access than the DC because the heel is smaller.

Last edited:

Mandrax

If it's a Les Paul tone you want, buy a Les Paul. I say this a lot, but although you might get into the LP ballpark with the PRS, it still has a PRS tone. Not a bad thing, I love a PRS tone, but not when I'm after that LP sound. This is why I own both PRS and LP.

Puckbucker

VERY WELL SAID SLIPBEER. I strongly agree.

You will end up in the same place with either choice. An extremely well built guitar that is not quite a great Les Paul.

However, most Les Pauls out there are also not great Les Pauls.

I would agree that there are other guitars out there that will get you very close to Les Paul tone but do not look anything like a Les Paul or feel anything like a Les Paul but can sound like a Les Paul.

Having said that, you first have to define what Les Paul tone you are really after as your main focus - screaming leads through a Plexi vs. jazzy warm chords through a Fender Blackface something or an entirely different spectrum.

I am on the fence on LPs'. I had a classic and an R7 but even with better pickups my R7 got lost in the mix live. Never had that happen with my PRS.

NewbyRock023

245s are weight relieved unless that changed recently. I owned two and they do not sound like Les Pauls. Another suggestion is play many SGs because you may get lucky and find one, like my SG VOS, that honestly sounds like a great historic Les Paul should.
Not so anymore I believe

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
Not so anymore I believe
I'm inclined to agree. The original 245's didn't quite do it for me but the recent editions are absolutely capable of getting pretty darn close to LP tone....especially the McCarty 245's which I know aren't weight relieved or chambered. As others have said, you will still end up with PRS tone but I found that I prefer that tone over a Gibson LP. Wish I could say the same for hollow or semi-hollows but I've yet to find anything other than a 335 that comes close to it....sorry for the temporary derail :)

Last edited:

440gtx6pak

I am left scratching my head regarding people saying here that PRS stripped 58s are lighter than the non-weight relived Gibson Historic LPs. I own examples of both and they all seem to be around the same weight. It really is not that hard to find an non weight relived LP Historic that is under 9 pounds.

Out of curiosity I looked at the PRS stripped 58 at Wildwood where they give weights and they are all pretty much in the mid/upper 8 pound range.
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/prs/singlecut.htm

Long story short ... while there are reasons why one would want a PRS SC over an LP or vice versa, weight does not have to be one of them.:dunno

Trending Topics

Top Bottom