PRS Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jedi, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Jedi

Jedi Member

Gents:

What can I expect from this amp? I have not been able to check one out in person. I am looking for a light-weight amp for regular gigging and thought this might be a good match to my DGT and Teles? I am covering everything from Standards to Modern Pop/Rock and everything in between.

We mic everything and use in-ear monitors, but want to have enough power to project if I have to un-mic'd. I have owned other 15watt amps that were definitely powerful enough, especially in today's gigging enviroment.

What do you guys think? Have you checked one out? Do you like the tone with single-coil and humbuckers and did the power rating work out?

Thanks,
    Jedi

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Having owned one, I would say pass. There are much better amps out there for the same money. I had a head/212 cab. It's definitely an amp you should not buy on-line. They're very trebly, don't have much headroom, and aren't that loud compared to the other amps in that power range I've heard. It was good for humbuckers but I didn't like running singles though it at all.

Traded mine and paid the difference for a Tone King Imperial. Much better amp.

3. el chuco

el chuco Member

The PRS 30 is much better in mho. You can cover a good range of musical genres, except metal, and you have plenty of clean headroom if need be. Also,
    takes pedals very well or just plug-n-play.

4. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

Nasty little buggers.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. MrSpud

MrSpud Member

This past November, PRS had an event at Rudy's Music in SoHo, NYC. Doug Sewell had modified a Sweet 16 with EL84 tubes, different transformers and circuit changes bringing it up to 40 Watts. Davy Knowles and Dave Grissom used the amp for some random noodling and an in-store concert and it sounded pretty good.

I was kind of surprised that the tweaked "Sweet 40" wasn't announced as a new product at NAMM.

6. Tonezilla

Tonezilla Member

I have no experience with the smaller PRS amps, I'm just posting to cancel out the over generalized statement that Live Wire above made. I have two PRS 50 watters, the 25th anniversary head and the new Bugs Henderson Dallas combo. Both amps work and sound great for MY application. Just because I or someone else has experienced an amp or guitar that doesn't speak to them, doesn't mean you should steer clear from an entire brand. I wish more people would get that. I think it's fine to ask questions on a forum about functions and tonal qualities of gear, but, to say "I don't like brand X, you won't either" just boggles my mind. Go try one out, you may be surprised...or disappointed.

7. chillytc

chillytc Member

I gotta jump in here too and say I have only played a couple of PRS amps but the Dallas blew my pants off - fantastic take on Fender tones. I can't agree with anyone bashing the PRS amp line based just on how great that amp sounded to me.

8. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

+1!

It's amazing sometimes the generalizations with brands on TGP. Worked to my advantage with PRS amps though. Picked up a Super Dallas , 30 and Sweet 16 well below market value They each have their own unique characteristic tone . Did not find them too bright as mentioned. Interchange the Super Dallas, 30 with Zendrive with my TR CR for gigs.