PRS Sweet Switch

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NickVig, Aug 20, 2004.

1. NickVig

NickVig Member

What does this do? Does anyone have a schematic I can peruse?

Thanks!

:dude

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's a small integrated inductor/capacitor network that acts as a passive band-pass filter, if you want a technical description!

In other words, it produces a narrower, more midrangy frequency response.

The original idea was apparently to simulate the effect of a particular long cable - I don't know what length, or type, or if it was a specific cable Paul Smith liked the sound of, but that's what it said in the literature at the time.

I don't have schematic though.

Some people love them. I find it nasal and honky - 'squawk', not 'sweet'... but each to their own.

3. NickVig

NickVig Member

Thanks John!

I was under the impression it was more like a tone knob in it switched in/out a capacitor to give you the effect of a tone knob but in a switch. I had no idea it was to emulate a long cable. That's very odd to me.

I appreciate the info!

4. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

Sounds a bit like a wah pedal stuck in the middle, a bit Schenker-y sounding. I actually like the sweet switch for some lead work.

5. NickVig

NickVig Member

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The sweet switch component has a part number on the side of the package. I believe it's referred to in the digram to help the installer ensure that the component is properly oriented.

7. NickVig

NickVig Member

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. What is the 'component' that is being wired to the switch.

:confused:

8. THebert

THebert Member

Well I was at Guitar Center just yesterday and they had a PRS 89 std. 24 for sale. I tried the guitar and fooled around with the sweet switch. I find that they don't make much of a difference and I would rather have a tone control anyday. Just my opinion.

The sweet switch cuts the high end like moving a tone control from 10 to 9.25. Something like that.

9. DanHund

DanHund Member

John Phillips has the story mostly correct. The story I got (probably from here, Eric Pritchard I beleive), was that it was developed after Carlos Santana complained of the change in tone when using a wireless. So, it is suppossed to reproduce the capacitive effect of a long instrument cable.