PRS that's tonally between LP + Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ecbluesman54, May 20, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I have never really gotten into PRS, but was curious what model I would look to to get somewhere between the thickness of a LP, and the single coils of a Strat. I have a LP, and a Strat so I was looking for something a little different than the two.
    What is the most versatile PRS excluding the Mira?

Thanks!

2. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

Swamp Ash Special.

3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

+ 1 or.. Custom 24 or Johnny Hiland model

4. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Thanks, I will check both the Swamp ash special, and custom 24 out. I had a chance to play a Johnny Hiland model, and wasn't crazy about the neck.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Definitely the Cu24. Check out both the 5-way rotary and 3-way toggle with push/pull configurations, as they provide slightly different tones.

6. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

7. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

I am really a newbie when it comes to PRS. is the 5 way rotary standard on the CU24?

8. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Awesome, what model is that?
    I need to go do some reading up on PRS

9. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

1-OFF GT-350H S.A.S.

10. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

I agree, SAS.

However, it will do something in between a Strat and an LP but none dead. Henceforth I never bonded with it and sold mine.

11. sovtekking

sovtekking Supporting Member

I felt like my CE24 was really LP-ish in the neck while getting a Strat-humbucker bridge vibe. That's a cheaper option and they are wicked fiddles.

12. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

SAS. Nothing comes close.

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Both that and the 3-way toggle with push/pull are both 'standard'. You'll see near equal amounts of each out there. And again, the tones are similar, but not exactly the same. I prefer the rotary, but others swear by the toggle.

14. whitewave

whitewave Member

PRS has its own sound, this is the most important and often forgotten aspect of these fantastic guitars.
    To reply to your question, CE line. The maple neck gives them the kind of attack you could expect from a Fender, but they are much more thick than Fenders. I have as CE-22, and I'm buying a McCarty or SC245.

15. aaron1433

aaron1433 Member

PRS Custom series was created to wed the Les Paul to the strat. How effectively any guitar can do that remains in question, but that was the intention.

16. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Surely the DGT is close too, its unreal.

17. CarbonTim27

CarbonTim27 Member

I'm quite surprised no-one has mentioned the 513. I can remember the one I played being unbelievably versatile....maybe too much so ...

18. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member

this is one of those things that you'll just have to play a few, threw gear similar to yours, to feel and hear. I still own my LP and Strat, and have been playing PRS for 19 years as well.

I would think that a 24 fret model might feel a bit 'foreign' in your hands since LPs are 22 and strats are either 21 or 22. So the Custom 24, CE24, Mira, Santana, Standard 24 - might not feel familiar in your hands even though all but the Santana have coil splitting modes. In the 22 fretters, the Custom 22 was just discontinued - but they have many models left - McCartys, DiMeolas, Swamp Ash Special (also just discontinued) etc.

Now - the 24 fret models did not feel foreign in my hands originally in 1990 when I bought one (I was taking a strat and an LP to practice and gigs at the time) - it felt like a strat with humbuckers, except it also had a set neck.

Hmm - perhaps if you could say which guitar you play more - the strat or the LP it might help. If its the strat - perhaps the customs or CEs, if the LP - perhaps the McCarty or DiMeola.

Send me an e-mail if you want to chat further - have fun playing new guitars!

edit - forgot to mention - hang around Birds and Moons for a while and ask questions - the amount of info available on that forum about PRS is amazing.
    http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/index.php

19. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

I would say a DGT; SAS is also a really good guitar.

20. 5wayswitch

5wayswitch Member

I have an 89 classic electric with an alder body that nails what your looking for tone wise. if you can find one with an alder body give it a try.