1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS Toggle Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by airforce_brian, Feb 16, 2009.

1. airforce_brian

airforce_brian Member

I have a PRS Custom 24 with the toggle switch, and I seem to have an intermittent connection on my bridge pickup. It will be fine most of the time, but every once in a while when I switch from the neck to the brige it will cut out by about 90%. So you can still hear the guitar just a tiny bit, but obviously something is going on here.

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking maybe a ****** solder connection in there? Another thing, when I first got the guitar, the toggle switch was a bit funny, and would pop out of the neck position with even a very light touch, and the tech at the store I bought it from just fixed it in a couple of minutes by bending 2 prongs a bit on the inside of the toggle switch.

I know PRS guitars have a lifetime warranty, but the shop by my house requires me to drop it off for 2 weeks for any repair, which is kinda ridiculous. So if it's something I can fix myself, I'd rather do that.

Thanks!

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

spray some contact cleaner in there and flick it back and forth vigorously to break up whatever speck of dust or corrosion is keeping the switch contacts from connecting.

as for the toggle not staying put, 9 times out of ten the correct fix is to push the little plastic cap on the inside end of the lever back up from where it has worked its way off a little. (it's under the toggle at the center, and is what pushes the leaves around to make the connections.)

3. mike80

mike80 Member

I had one that on an LP that did that same thing. The contacts weren't making a good connection. I ended up taking the switch apart (it's just 2 screws) and bent the contacts so they made a connection again.

4. airforce_brian

airforce_brian Member

I'll have to give both those ideas a try. Thanks for the help!

5. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

im having similar issues w/ my prs toggle. it is getting stuck every time it passes the mid position and has to be forced out, back to the neck or bridge. is the switch bad?