PRS Tremolo Angle

Random Hero

Does anybody know anything definitive on how these are supposed to be set? A picture would be really helpful.

Basically, it's easy to set the angle on my Brent Mason as the body is flat so I can see that it's parallel without much effort but on the archtop of my DGT, it's not so easy. I found a PRS setup video where the guy says to try to get it parallel with the bit of the body between the pickups, but that causes quite a bit of forward slant, more akin to how you would set up a Strat. If I set it to 1/16" as per the PRS Guide to Setup on the site, it seems to have more of a backward lean, but I'm guessing that's correct?

Any help would be great!

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
According to PRS (I believe it is under Support on their web site), you are supposed to be able to pull the low E up a full step (to F#).

This has served me well.

Crimson Queen

Silver Supporting Member
I think these instructions apply. It's important that all screws be the same height, and the spacing between the plate and the screw head is very precise. Otherwise, the trem can be damaged. Did you change string gauge? You may want to loosen the claw screws.

Random Hero

That post didn't work...

I have this currently, after messing with it this afternoon. It now pulls up to a tone pretty perfectly, so the low E goes to an F#, plus it feels super nice like this. Second pic shows a 6 inch ruler laying flat on the bit of body between the pickups and shows that the trem is still pitched back from that angle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks pretty much parallel to the strings to me now though.

standard24

Somewhere, (Birds and Moons maybe?), I read an ingenious method for setting up the PRS Trem. It involved putting the trem cover plate between the body and the intonation screws. I can't remember the process, but I'd love to have a copy, if anyone remembers.

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Owned several trem-equipped PRS's between '92-'05 ... Looks about right to me and if it feels right to you, it is.

Enjoy ... :)

That post didn't work...

I have this currently, after messing with it this afternoon. It now pulls up to a tone pretty perfectly, so the low E goes to an F#, plus it feels super nice like this. Second pic shows a 6 inch ruler laying flat on the bit of body between the pickups and shows that the trem is still pitched back from that angle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks pretty much parallel to the strings to me now though.

Trending Topics