PRS Tremolo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Buddy123, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Buddy123

Buddy123 Member

2. Buddy123

Buddy123 Member

Cool, so it doesnt effect string tension/playability?

3. bob-i

bob-i Member

The PRS website has setup instructions. I did both of mine according to them and the terms work great.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

The idea is that once you have the right strings all tuned up you adjust the claw in back until it's floating parallel to the body.

Unless you know what you're doing do not mess with the six pivot screws, you can damage the bridge if you do it wrong.

5. Buddy123

Buddy123 Member

Thanks... I did mess with them but not much and everything seems fine. Ultimately, I just tightened the 2 screws holding the tremolo block in place and now the bridge isnt floating so much. Much better

6. walterw

uh, what exactly did you do? if those six screws are not in an absolutely perfect straight-line height six across you'll ruin the soft knife edges of the bridge!
    not sure what this means; a bridge either floats or it doesn't, there's nothing in between.

if you mean that it's now at a better angle (parallel to the body) then good, but it's still floating 100%, just like it was before.

7. Buddy123

Buddy123 Member

Uh oh, I did mess with the screw height. Does that mean I need to take it to a tech or could I just play as is and not use the whammy bar?
    Thanks!
    http://s32.postimg.org/7csr62c79/image.jpg

8. walterw

if it's even tuned up to pitch and those screws aren't perfect, you're damaging the bridge.

splatt likes this.
  9. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Do not turn the bridge screws under string tension, the screws that hold the springs on the bottom of the trem are ok to turn strung up. As stated before the PRS website has excellent set up instructions.

10. walterw

The first step of which is to remove the strings and the springs, so that you can get those six screws perfectly lined up before putting any bridge pressure on them.

splatt likes this.
  11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Hey Walter, fixing the screws aside, have you ever seen the neat trick of loosening the claw, blocking the trem with a wedge until the bridge sits exactly where you want, tuning up (the bridge won't move because of the wedge), and then tighten up the claw a little at a time until the wedge just falls out? It gets it exactly right the first time with no back and forth. I'm sure you must have seen that, but I thought I'd mention it.

12. walterw

you mean stuffing the wedge behind the block, on the side opposite the springs, right?

i'm not used to that method, but it makes perfect sense. i tend to put the wedge/spacer under the edge of the bridgeplate and tighten first to hold it in place, loosening until it frees up.

same principle but from the other side of the trem block as it were.

a variation is to tune up the guitar with the wedge piece in place, pull the wedge (at which point the bridge will move and the strings will go out of tune), then adjust the claw while plugged in to a tuner, checking pitch until it's in tune again.

you'll hit correct pitch at the same time the bridge is floating exactly where it was when it was blocked.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  13. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Exactly. Oh, you gotta try it next time you get a Floyd, where you can't really block it from the top.