PRS tuners question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Jul 14, 2006.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I have a 1995 PRS Standard 22. It plays great. I think it needs better pickups. NOt real fired up with the dragons. Anyways, I have noticed over the years that the tuners for the high strings (the g & b especially) seem to not hold as well. It takes several turns around before it seems to lock well. It still stays in tune well, but not quite as good as when I first got it several years ago.

2. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member

Hi

with the original PRS tuners, built upon the large Schaller tuners - its good if you put tension on the string before you lock the tuner (you can do this by wrapping the string around a pair of short nose hobby pliers) pull tight (but not tight enough to break the string) then lock the cam. This makes the wings line up (no wrapping which is not suggested) and creates some immediate backpressure to seat the string.

After the cam is locked, you might want to also press gently on the straight side of the wing - to snug it up. Also, and bend in the string on the top of the tuner, at a right angle - helps as well.

good luck.

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

It seems like the thing locks, but when tuning it takes lots of stretching and turning the string around before it will get stable (satay in tune). I have never used plier but I do usually try to keep pressure bu pulling the string tight with my hand.

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I would replace those tuners. I think they are frustrating and have problems with the smaller strings, plus they are ugly.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

LOL. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Replacing 2 winged tuners is going to be a daunting and frustrating task. Even if you can find a whole set, chances are they will be just as worn as what he's got.

6. Bill McDowell

Bill McDowell Gold Supporting Member

Thanks - I apologize, sometimes not being there makes conversation difficult.

The words "turning the string around" - I don't quite understand - with the original tuners - there is no "wrapping" of the string around the tuner post - it just goes through the unlocked space straight and then you lock the came usually fairly quickly.

Thanks - sorry if I'm not understanding correctly.

7. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

Regarding replacing the tuners, if the D and G tuners share a screw in the back of the headstock, you are out of luck. But you may have the newer style wing tuners which each tuner has its own screw. If so, you can swap them for a pair of Phase II tuners, which are much easier to use and readily available.

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I always loved the wing tuners on my old Custom 22.

9. ronster

ronster Member

doesn't changing the winged tuners for phase II tuners require drilling? I was interested in switching, but was told that was the case. If not, that's excellent news for me!

ronster

www.myspace.com/moonshotradio

10. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

THe Phase II tuners are a drop in replacement (no drilling) for the wing tuners, as long as the D and G tuners do not share a mounting hole. I replaced the wing tuners on my '97 Santana 1 with Phase II's, no problem.

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

And that is why I would replace them. I have an exaggerated hatred of those winged tuners for some reason. Paul replaced them with something better, thankfully.

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thanks dude! It looks like on mine the d and g strings do share a mounting screw, but I appreciate the help.

13. Badfinger

Badfinger Member

I'm currently working with Jack Gretz, who is working with PRS, who is working with Schaller:worried to get a run of the original style (shared D and G) winged tuners reproduced. There are a lot of pre-94 (or so) PRS guitars that have no tuner option because of the way they are mounted, and no one wants to drill another hole in an early PRS. Schaller is slow in responding, but PRS feels confident that they will get a run at some point. I'll post here and on BaM when it occurs...

14. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

15. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I really can't understand the posts about not being able to fit different tuners because of the shared G and D screws... just use standard Schaller M6s (which are - or at least were - available with a conventional locking cap, which FWIW is far less ugly than the new PRS one IMO) and file off the ends of the screw lugs on two of them.

:confused:

The other thing I disagree totally with is everything posted by shallbe. The PRS winged tuners are the most beautiful, most distinctive, easiest to use, most effective and flat-out most elegant mechanical design of any tuner ever made :D.

OK, I like them ;).

But I really do think they're a great design. And I don't have any trouble with the thin strings slipping - though to be fair my thinnest is an 11 and I change them about only whenever the planets align :)... but if you just push firmly on the straight side to lock them fully they work as well as on any of the other strings.

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

Until the wing breaks, in which case a $2000+ guitar is unusable. This happened to me - my CU-24 was at the practice room and I came in and saw that a string was broken. On inspection, it was the wing/cam which had snapped, just while sitting there. I called John Ingram at PRS, and explained what had happened and he offered to sell me some. I explained that if this had happened at a gig, I would have been unable to finish the night on that guitar, which was a favorite. His reply was "Oh, so you actually play out with this guitar? I'll send you a few for free..."

Makes you wonder what PRS's perception of their target audience was, back then...

I've got a CE-24 now, and I put Schaller locking tuners on it. Stay in tune just as well, easier to use and look nicer.

Loudboy

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I know - that's the one thing that bothers me about them, which is why I bought a complete set of spare wings and keep one of each side in each of my three PRS cases (along with a tuner key, which are plastic on the newer models and have been known to break too).

I've seen Sperzels and Schallers with missing thumbwheels and rods too, from people spinning them too far and the wheel falling off and disappearing somewhere, and the rod following (which is much harder to find)... although at least you can still use them as a conventional tuner if you have to. Still annoying if you have to replace the parts though...