PRS users in here please.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gwarner, May 30, 2008.

1. gwarner

gwarner Member

I am looking into getting a paul reed smith. I have played a CE22 and really enjoyed it. I have not played a custom, but they look nice and I cannot imagine them playing worse. I have the cash to get a custom, and I am wondering whether it is worth it to drop the extra cash over a ce. Any input is appreciated, along with pictures to fuel the gas.

2. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Depends on how you like the sound of a bolt-on maple neck as opposed to a set-in mahogany neck. I believe the CE to be the "strattier" of the two - not 100% strat-like but with some of the snappier characteristics of that guitar.
    Each of my PRS' has it's own personality, though they all have a certain top-end clarity in common. My LPs grunt more, whereas the PRS are silkier.

3. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

IMHO, tonally, the older CE22s ('97 or so and earlier) are the very best bang for your buck guitars out there. I like the Customs as well, but the pick between the two is something you'll have to figure out from experience. The only real difference between a CE and a custom from a utilitarian/tonal aspect is the neck. The customs you can also get birds, gold hardware, fancy tops, etc., but those don't have much if anything to do with the tone and the feel.

My Singlecut Trem:
    [​IMG]

4. fazen

fazen Member

Head over to Birds and Moons. They'll tell you everything you want to know about PRSi. A lot of people over there have owned both.
    One thing I'm sure they'll tell you is to play both if you can. The best way to tell is play a few.

5. baimun

baimun Member

For me the answer was pretty simple.... I have other guitars with maple necks. I wanted some variety. When the 20th Anniversary model PRS standard came out with the satin nitro finish on the neck and body, it was a done deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. acwild

acwild Member

I opted for a CE because of the maple neck as it's a little brighter sounding to my ears. The tones are great and all, but I didn't really connect with the guitar. Once I deglossed the back of the neck, I couldn't put the guitar down.

7. omni

omni Member

I like the CEs because of a little more spank and snap and the maple neck.The bolt on just sounds more alive to me.

8. gwr

gwr Member

I would have to agree,the bolts on's just have more snap and with the right pups you can get a variety of good tones,I have both a ce-22 and a custom-22 along with a strat and a tele and take the ce-22,tele and strat to the gigs and the custom stays in the case.With all three guitars I can cover anything you could think of.

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Depends on what you want. The CE's going to be brighter and snappier, which could be good or bad. With the HFS/VB combo an extra littel bit of snap would be good. With the Dragon set I think that might get into icepick territory, those Dragons are bright as hell.

Oh, I've never said this before, but me and baimun own the same guitar.

10. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Custom 24 owner here.
    The PRS I have was different than any of the others that were at The Music Gallery the day I picked it out. It was fairly bright but had resonance, and right off the hook it was easy to play. But when I've used it on gigs, the ONLY little snag was the slightly annoying click when turning the rotary dial. You must sit down and play the ones that catch your eye, and then pick the one that catches your ears/hands.

11. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have a CE24 20th anniversary vintage yellow tiger striped, trem, rosewood neck with curly maple neck backing and headstock and love the look, playability, weight and tone of it.

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Look at the Standard, too. I love the way PRSs look and play, but could never get into the sound of them till I tried my Standard. Greatest Electric guitar I've ever owned. Best trem, too.

13. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I would look at a DGT if you can. I have one of those and it is the BEST humbucking guitar that I have ever owned.

14. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

You really need to play them to see which one speaks to you. I bought a CE-22 8 years ago (still have it). I was playing mostly Strats at the time, so I really liked the "snap" of the CE. Now my style has changed a little, and I wish the CE were a little warmer. The Dragon II's can be on the bright side.

15. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

This is a Custom 22 with a set maple neck. Sounds a bit like a Strat on steroids. I love a Strat but grew up using ballsier Les Pauls both buckers and P-90's. This guitar really floats my boat. I have two other PRS'i one hollow body McCarty and one IRW McCarty, both are killer but sound way different which is very cool. PRS'i are great geetars :bow.

[​IMG]