PRS Vela

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I started a thread about a second / complimentary guitar to my Nash T52 which I am gigging regularly in a Modern Country Rock cover band. We lean heavily towards the rock side of modern country (Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, Dirks Bentley) and I'm a seasoned 80's rocker and I'm afforded tons of room for guitar wankery in this lineup :) I do also play very clean sometimes as well to stay truer to some of those older "new" country songs as well.
    Many recommendations for LP Junior style guitars, P90's, maybe something with a Gretsch vibe.
    My current partscaster tele has the TV Jones Tele set and they are KILLER... fantastic clean, overdriven and high gain, not exactly Tele and other stuff going on.

So researching all of these great options the PRS core and S2 models all pop out as top contenders for great build quality (I've owned 2 DGTS and I'm convinced PRS has the most consistent and commitment build quality and setup for a large(er) guitar company. My former co-guitarist works there as well.

Looking at the Starla, the Mira and now the Vela and even the Standard they are all intriguing. The Vela is a strange bird, not really a Tele or Gretsch or Junior or Special but something pretty darn cool looking! And or course after all of this hand wringing I see a Vela demo and the guy is busting out every fantastic King's X riff I adore... that's of course a huge bonus.

Things that I might not like: Body shape hard to play / manage seated during practice?
    Body shape NG for a standard A frame type guitar stand?

Let's hear your experiences! I need a SLAB of Mahogany stat!

2. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Vela is my only solid body. It’s a very nice guitar. Love the neck pickup and I am warming to the bridge.

I keep it on a Hercules stand, no problem at all. Also have no problem playing it seated. The neck balance is very good. It’s light and comfortable to play. I’m now thinking, in the opposite direction, about what to complement it with.

Gasp100 likes this.
  3. jrjones

jrjones Member

Might look at a CE as well.

4. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Member

A Johnny Hiland signature model sticks out to me for what you're doing. The pick-ups split really come close to a Tele and can do a lot of chicken pickin! In HB mode they'll shock ya what they can cover!

5. brittwin

brittwin Supporting Member

I had a Vela for a little while. I ended up selling it and keeping the S2 Mira. It was a much more versatile tool overall. It was prettier though!

ant_riv, aussie_owner and fretless like this.
  6. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

I think the Vela is the most interesting guitar PRS makes out of their entire catalogue. It’s a great value.

buddyrama likes this.
  7. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I really like the Vela. I recently acquired a S2 Vela Reclaimed Limited, and I love the pickups. I'm not normally a bridge PU guy, but I like this one, has a bit of Gretsch twang to it, along with the Dynasonic style neck PU. I'm seriously thinking about a solid body Vela, I find the body shape comfortable and I love the light weight.

[​IMG]

Pat Wu, $tratcat, ant_riv and 4 others like this.
  8. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Man that is a beautiful looking guitar!

aussie_owner likes this.
  9. misterg71

misterg71 The premier Hack Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Had a black one, sold it, wish I hadn’t. Great guitars, and a great bang for the buck used.

10. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Supporting Member

I have a reclaimed vela as well and I've found it's the most unique sounding guitar I have. To me it's like a mix of an lp junior, telecaster and a little bit of a gretsch. I find it can cover a lot of ground in my cover band and I love that it is barely over 6lbs. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

[​IMG]

$tratcat, ant_riv, Adel2 and 3 others like this.
  11. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I’ve messed with the Velas before in shops and think they are pretty dangled unique and cool. However, if I were looking at an S2 now, I’d probably lean towards the Studio - some of the same unique pickup action as the Vela bit with a trem. Really wish PRS would let a couple of these squeak out with a Pattern neck....

juh_sepp likes this.
  12. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

I really wish they made an SE version of this.

13. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I have a Vela. Good guitar, good ergonomics, different sounds. Not playing mine so much since I am in two humbucker mode. I think a two humbucker Vela would be another good performer. I like mine enough the way it is to leave it alone but swapping in a HB equipped pickguard is tempting. I just don't remember if one will fit.

hunter

14. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I owned both a Vela and a core Starla for a couple years and I eventually sold the Vela... I found the Starla offered a little more with the Bigsby and better balance between the pickups. I really wanted to "replace" my Tele with the Vela but it never really met that need for me... The core Starla just worked for me better, but it's quite a different animal than the S2 version (shorter scale, USA Bigsby, USA pickups, Kluson-style tuners, etc.)...

ant_riv and Chicago Slim like this.
  15. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

I have one too. You need to get this. It's comfortable, sounds amazing with any amp and has coil split. Did I mention it's 6.5lbs?

aussie_owner likes this.
  16. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

When it was introduced, I was going to buy a Vela on the picture and specs alone. I thought I didn't even need to play it, but I'm glad I did. I played 2 of them, and they were neck heavy.

I don't prefer LP heavy, but I seem to prefer a perfect balance, or a good solid body that's slightly heavier than the neck, like the Core models, and the Velas I played were just not that.

17. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

That's what I picked up. Basically the big brother. I love mine. Little bit different body shape and a few other differences though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    ant_riv and aussie_owner like this.
  18. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Curious, did you play them standing up with a strap?

hunter

kbgear likes this.
  19. Adel2

Adel2 Member

The Vela is very versatile and yet it retains it's own unique sonic character. I was surprised when I found that I could get some good SRV and Beatles sounds out of mine. The humbucker is good, and is voiced well for this guitar, but I wonder if anyone has tried replacing it with something else a little more 'growly'?

20. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I saw on the PRS forum that one guy replaced the bridge pickup with a Railhammer Hyper Vintage bridge. I happen to have an HV bridge in another guitar, and I may give it a try next string change.

Adel2 likes this.