PRS Vela?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by p.j., Aug 9, 2019.

1. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

I wish there was a humbucker version. It’s too bad they stopped producing the Mira s2. I love the idea and the weight, but from trying it it feels like there’s too much overlap with my strats and tele in various pickup configurations.

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

You mean like the Vernon Reid version?

3. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

Sorry - without the Floyd, V neck and $700 upcharge. More like the Mira.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

The Vela is routed for dual hums under the pickguard, so I'm guessing they will release a dual humbucker version (especially since now the Mira is discontinued.)

5. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Defining characteristics of the Vela are the hardtail, front-loading bridge; the offset body; and the pickup combo with the sweet single coil neck pick-up. It’s a great guitar. I love mine. But naturally a thread about it here features people wishing it had a trem, a single-cut body, and a humbucker in the neck.

I’m waiting for Gibson to come out with a double cut, offset Les Paul, with a trem and three single coil pickups. Why can’t they just do that?

Grun, mikebat, Boogie92801 and 2 others like this.
  6. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yep, and half the comments literally, exactly describe the s2 special, haha.

mikebat and SgtThump like this.
  7. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

Isn’t that out of production this year?

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, didn’t realize that.

Although I guess the S2 standard is what people are asking for: dual humbuckers, non-offset, with a trem.

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

I think those S2 Specials were a limited run thing - only meant to be produced for one year (2018). Just picked up a new Vela late last week, so I'm still in the "demo" phase with it but it's a really cool piece, and I like the feel of the more offset/stratty body. Actually these have always reminded me shape-wise of the old Gibson Victory guitars from the early 80s - back when I was a poor college student who couldn't afford anything.:p

10. p.j.

p.j. Member

I kind of think they did...[​IMG]

Duffy Pratt likes this.
  11. KBernard

KBernard Member

Thanks.

12. John C

John C Supporting Member

I wound up getting a Vela about a week ago - haven't had much time to put it through it's paces. I just stumbled upon this one at my local GC - it hadn't been there all that long but I guess it had been in the warehouse a while before they ordered it as it's got a 2018 serial number. It's a fun, enjoyable guitar; I've been having a lot of left hand issues so I'm moving away from 25 1/2" scale guitars; we'll see how this one does for me as the neck is kind of medium-chunky compared to the Fender Modern Cs I've been playing (and still have, but on a 24" scale American Performer Mustang).

Obligatory photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fishlog

fishlog Supporting Member

I'm still digging my Vela... I want to not like it for some reason but I keep coming back to it. That neck pick up is just so sweet and it plays exceptionally well. Love the weight too.

I also own a Mira and I don't find that much over lap in the feel or any thing. Funny I want to love the Mira but the pick ups are awfully bright and it just doesn't sit quite as nice as the Vela.

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have played a Vela a few time over the last couple years after they first came out. At first they seem a little odd but they are seriously well thought out and play, work and sound amazing good. I still want one and will eventually but I just don’t need another guitar.

They do a lot of things well and have a certain Tele/Gretchen vibe. If I had to pick a fault, the pots and switch are semi cheap.

I’m a fan.

15. Grun

Grun Member

I recently bought and then more recently sold my Vela. Loved the light weight, the look and it was relatively comfortable to play. Did not like so much that it did not hold up to my DGT sonically or in terms of quality. Cost cutting was obvious throughout. The tone control was not musical to my tastes. Also the offset design seemed to place the neck further to the right when sitting which made high fret access seem awkward.
    It's an unfortunate truth that the SE/S2 PRS guitars do not hold up to the core models. However it could not really be any other way. YMMV etc. For the money nice guitar I guess.
    Plus I already have a nice Tom Anderson Tele so there's that too. PRS needs to lose that rim on the core models. really annoying on the forearm. The one thing I dislike about the DGT.

16. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Davy knowles has been hardcore digging his Vela on his recent tour. He’s said it stands up to his 66 tele and PRS DGT

[​IMG]

Mike R. likes this.
  17. fishlog

fishlog Supporting Member

Yeah... The more I read about how many people are into these I'm thinking it's something we are going to see a lot more people playing.

18. standard24

standard24 Member

I've done this with bad results.

Have you ever tried to nurse a baby platypus?

19. bean

bean Supporting Member

Sure. I actually have a small army of platypi assassins which were raised from pups. They are pretty docile at birth but if you repeatedly show them pictures of baby armadillos they start to get aggressive. Once you add armor and tiny little spears they are pretty effective killing machines. By the way, do you know what a herd of platypi is called (like a "murder" of crows, etc)?

standard24 likes this.
  20. babbyb

babbyb Member

Owned a green metallic one for a while. Super light, played nice. Could never bond with the sound, pretty sterile.