PRS Vibrato Question: Gen. II vs. Gen III

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shood, Dec 18, 2018.

1. shood

shood Member

My next guitar is likely to be a DGT. The specs are changing slightly for 2019, including going to the Gen. III Trem. DGTs with the updates won’t hit the streets for a few months. My questions for those with experience with both vibratos: how significant is the “upgrade,” and, all things being equal, is it worth a wait of a few months?

2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

I’m actually really curious about the Gen III trem (not the locking saddles one) too.

But then again.... How do you improve upon the perfection that is the MannMade 2000 NOS trem?

If it were me, I’d look around for an older nitro finished DGT and slap one of John’s trems in there and live happily in my ignorance.

ieso likes this.
  3. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

It's a nice evolution of the design, but I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker.

The Gen III looks cool, and in theory is an improvement, but does it make a noticeable difference? *Shrug*

Context: I've used Gen III, Gen II, Mann Made, and SE trems. They're all good.

4. ieso

ieso Member

I have PRSi with original and GIII trems. They're different if you think about it but I never think about it. I don't think that would be a variable that swayed me in one way or another on a PRS.

Garrett Bagby likes this.
  5. standard24

standard24 Member

I didn't know they had a Gen III. I have on with a one piece trem, and others with two piece. None have locking saddles. Is that a good design change?

6. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

It's a neat update, but I notice no difference while playing.