• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PRS - which ones are chambered?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I know the SC245/SC250 are chambered, but what about the McCarty & DGT?

02Singlecut

The SC245/250's and late 06 and 07 Singlecuts are NOT chambered. The are weight relieved is certain areas to reach an optimum weight of between 8-9 lbs. No other PRS models are.:AOK

John C

Gold Supporting Member
The SC245/250's and late 06 and 07 Singlecuts are NOT chambered. The are weight relieved is certain areas to reach an optimum weight of between 8-9 lbs. No other PRS models are.:AOK
02Singlecut - I know you are looped in pretty well with PRS, but weren't there some limited run chambered Singlecuts (post-lawsuit but prior to the SC245/SC250) and also some CU-22s done for a couple of retailers, or am I just not remembering correctly?

Of course, this is a different question than the OP who was talking about production models.

JMintzer

Burned Out Mod
02Singlecut - I know you are looped in pretty well with PRS, but weren't there some limited run chambered Singlecuts (post-lawsuit but prior to the SC245/SC250) and also some CU-22s done for a couple of retailers, or am I just not remembering correctly?

Of course, this is a different question than the OP who was talking about production models.
Yes, there was a run of 90 semi-hollow (or chambered SCs. They also offered the semi-hollow on Customs up until 2001-2 or so.

Now, the SC 245 & 250 are weight relieved.

Here's a few pics.

Semi-Hollow (chambered) SC:

Semi-Hollow Custom:

And:

Weight relieved SC:

Hope this helps...

Jamie

Taller

Gold Supporting Member

There was a time when semi-hollow was an option on PRS Customs and I believe they did some Singlecuts as well.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
so, what's the difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved"? (tone-wise)?

Last edited:

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
How in the sam hell can most PRS smokeburst McCarty's show up for the weigh in at just over 7lbs? Ex-lax? I'm not a weightist but even little clouds weigh a ton...

webe123

Give me a guitar any day with all of it's wood.

You can keep "weight relived" guitars, just not my cup of tea.

If I want a hollowed out guitar, I pick up my semi hollow.

Bluedawg

so, what's the difference between "chambered" and "weight-relieved"? (tone-wise)?

weight relieved guitars don't really sound that much different than solid guitars IMHO

chambered guitars are usually noticably different ...... but then sometimes they're not

In the end every guitar has its own voice

:knitting

CS'56

Yes, there was a run of 90 semi-hollow (or chambered SCs. They also offered the semi-hollow on Customs up until 2001-2 or so.

Now, the SC 245 & 250 are weight relieved.

Here's a few pics.

Semi-Hollow (chambered) SC:

Weight relieved SC:

Hope this helps...

Jamie

The photos are interesting. Thanks for posting them. The first one is not what I would have thought of as chambered. The second photo is what always came to my mind as being chambered. I thought chambered and weight relieved were basically the same thing.

PRS doesn't state anywhere that the SC245 is weight relieved. Is this correct?

Most people seem to think that the SC245 doesn't sound as good as a R7,R8,R9 or R0. I wonder if the SC245 being weight relieved could play a major part in that? It seems like the weight relief chambers that are cut into these are really the only MAJOR difference between the SC245 and Historic LP's.

tedm

The only lightweight PRS guitars I've played were the Custom 24 SE (I guess some weight loss from thin neck) and the EG SE. I like the Yamaha RGX A2 for a light weight electric. 5.5 lbs.

Bluedawg

The photos are interesting. Thanks for posting them. The first one is not what I would have thought of as chambered. The second photo is what always came to my mind as being chambered. I thought chambered and weight relieved were basically the same thing.

PRS doesn't state anywhere that the SC245 is weight relieved. Is this correct?

Most people seem to think that the SC245 doesn't sound as good as a R7,R8,R9 or R0. I wonder if the SC245 being weight relieved could play a major part in that? It seems like the weight relief chambers that are cut into these are really the only MAJOR difference between the SC245 and Historic LP's.
I'm sure the SC245 is thinner than the historic LPs ..... not sure how much difference that would make, but it could

The SC245 I played sounded almost exactly like a new chambered LP standard that I compared it to. The LP was not the historic chambered version.

:banana

JMintzer

Burned Out Mod
Most people seem to think that the SC245 doesn't sound as good as a R7,R8,R9 or R0.
Well, we did an A-B with my 2002 R8, my 57/08 SC 245 and Ronnie's (Majordelt's) Sunburst 245 (PRS" new nitro finished SC).

Side by side they were all sooo close in sound, it was really amazing. The LP did have just a tad more low end thump than the others, but the 57/08s had a clarity that the LP couldn't match.

All of them were fabulous guitars!

Jamie

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
My KL33 doesn't feel weight relieved, I wonder if it is. I know the "normal" Santanas are tho, right?

CS'56

Well, we did an A-B with my 2002 R8, my 57/08 SC 245 and Ronnie's (Majordelt's) Sunburst 245 (PRS" new nitro finished SC).

Side by side they were all sooo close in sound, it was really amazing. The LP did have just a tad more low end thump than the others, but the 57/08s had a clarity that the LP couldn't match.

All of them were fabulous guitars!

Jamie
Since you own both guitars. How does the sc245 body compare to the LP?

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
I have a custom 22 that I picked up used on ebay, claiming it was chambered. I have no reason to doubt that it is, but after seeing those XR's, I think I have a task ahead of me to get mine imaged. The body on mine is clearly thicker than other customs I've seen/played. Weight is similar, but I've never weighed it. It sounds wonderful, and I got it thinking it would have a little extra midrange fullness. But honestly, I can't vouch for any definite sonic difference.

Trending Topics