PRS will build amps and acoustics???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Seakayak, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

From the PRS newsletter....
    "A beautiful new building is also being built as I write. The entire facility will be more than 100,000 square feet upon completion, and it is our hope that the open house will include tours of the new facility during the final stages of construction. Building this state-of-the-art facility is providing a once in a lifetime opportunity for our company, our employees, our dealers, our distributors and our customers to expand on many levels. Work stations in the new facility will allow craftsman to build acoustic guitars, amplifiers, Maryland-built instruments with new price points and a greatly increased Private Stock facility. Some of the new instrument prototypes in cue for production will be at the open house for you to see. Many of these prototypes will begin their production and sales life in January 2009 at Winter NAMM. They will also be the first products coming off the line in the new manufacturing space."

2. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Hmm, I thought they gave up building amps after a breif stint in the '80's?? Building Acoustic, too? I hope they don't spread themselves too thin...

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

4. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Jon, any idea what kind - 6L6/EL34/EL84? - of amps they are? I hope it is not one of those Dumble clones. I should give Mike Ault a call as he appears a bit on the heavier side these days. :D

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Collings built electrics specifically because PRS intended to build acoustics. "That bastard!" yelled Collings. That's the story he tells!
    I wonder if the PRS acoustics will have the instant vibe kill of that headtock and the instant tone kill of maple tops or the cred kill of the breedlove aesthetic. Or if he'll surpirse me. It's hard to find a niche. This will be fun to watch and wait for. But man, making acoustics well is limited knowledge. I imagine he'll buy a luthier to lead the effort, like when he had Bourgeois build 5 or 10 prototypes years under the PRS name ago.
    Paging ED Roman...can you retop these for me if I buy one?

6. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Supporting Member

I bet (unfounded speculation here) that from the looks of that amp, and how much PRSH has praised Sewell amps in the past, I would not be surprised to see that he will be using Doug Sewell and his company for the PRS amp line. (non-private stock).

The sewells sounded great at the dallas guitar show. After owning all the cool amps he does, and using and promoting sewell stuff, it would make clear sense to either buy him out, license his products under the PRS name or bring him on as head of amp design.

I want to re-state that this is an assumption going off no facts. I will say the picture above looks similar to a sewell. It would be cool if any of this speculation was true.

7. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

I feel the same way.

8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

And did you catch this? << Maryland-built instruments with new price points>>. That sounds like lower priced USA-made guitars -- perhaps competing with Fender American Standards.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The building is going pretty fast now after a slow start.....this is what it looked like earlier this month:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I played a prototype of the new acoustic last September. The one I played was a Grand Auditorium size, BRW back and sides, Adirondack top, with a Santana style PRS headstock. VERY nice guitar!

Jamie

11. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

Here's a shot of one of the acoustic prototypes being played by Al DiMeola in Paul's living room at last year's "Experience PRS" event. I didn't get to play it myself, but Al sure made it sound good!

[​IMG]

12. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

That's the one I played!

Jamie

13. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Based on what I've heard at BaM, the new amps are going to be Sewell-designed/built.

14. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

looks kinda like a sewell to me...i am just saying

15. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

PRS and Sewell have merged.

16. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

The SS PRS amps had some fans.

17. AlexF

AlexF Member

I dont think you will be disappointed...
    Al

18. fusebop

fusebop Member

yes, but... will they build lefties?

:bow

19. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've already got my reservations and motel for the Open House in Sept. to get the firsthand scoop on acoustics, amps, private stock, new models, tour etc. how many else of you plan on going? Anyone need a ride on the way from Atlanta to MD to share expenses? I'm driving I85/95

20. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Man I'd love to go, but with the cost of travel these days, I'd rather spend my paycheck on some more gear. I can wait to hear and feel what they'll have to offer.