PRS Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mightypudge, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mightypudge

mightypudge Member

I'm converting my Navarro to regular Custom 24 wiring (new PCB rotary) but I am leaving the push/pull tone pot in the guitar. I know where the pickup wires should go on the rotary because it is color coded. However I am not 100% sure about the rest of the job.

For example, the rotary has three spots to connect to the volume and tone pots. Which lugs should these lead to on the volume and tone pots? Also do I need to ground the tone pot to the volume pot?

If anyone has a detailed explanation or a good picture, please post!!

2. stlmatt

stlmatt Member

3. mightypudge

mightypudge Member

Thanks but that does not answer my question.

4. stlmatt

stlmatt Member

Hold up, what are you trying to do with the push pull?
    the 5-way is giving you
    1.neck
    2.outside coils
    3.series single inside
    4. series parallel inside
    5.bridge

What will the push pull do?

5. mightypudge

mightypudge Member

I'm not trying to do anything with the push/pull except leave it in the guitar. I don't need the tone control to function as anything more than a tone control. At the moment I don't have a regular tone control so I'm leaving the stock pot where it is.

I have the guitar wired up and it sounds fine, except the tone control isn't functioning. So I obviously have missed something. I just don't know what that is.

What I need to know is the rest of the wiring, other than the pickup wiring. For example, which lugs on the volume and tone pots are connected, and to what?

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

yes, you need the back of the volume pot and the back of the volume pot to both be grounded to the output "sleeve"

7. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

The rotary switch has V and T outputs for convenience but you only need to connect one of them (doesn't matter which, they are the same connection point) to the bottom lug of the volume pot (as seen in the diagram above). Then just leave the volume and tone pots connected as in that diagram. The middle lug of the volume pot is the one that goes to the tip on the output jack. The sleeve on the output jack and the G output on the rotary (I think there are three of those, just connect one of them) both go to the back of the volume pot.

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If everything's working OK apart from the tone control, check the wiring there - it's the only place there could be a problem. You should have a wire coming from one of the T points on the switch board to the center or CCW terminal (it doesn't matter which way round these are) on the tone control, the tone cap between the other of those and the casing, and a wire from the casing to the volume pot casing. If that's all correct and the control still doesn't work, you've got either a faulty pot or cap.

FWIW, there are a couple of cool things you can do with the unused push-pull (if that's not confusing things!)... if you want a real 'vintage PRS' tone, you can use it as a Sweet Switch - you may have trouble getting the little tone network component though, unless PRS still have some - or to turn on and off the treble-pass cap on the volume control.

9. mightypudge

mightypudge Member

Mission accomplished, thanks!! I got hold of a regular tone pot and capacitor so I replaced the push/pull pot and wired it up right.

10. gregit

gregit Member

dude, you coulda had my tone pot as well if I'd known....glad it worked out for you.

11. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

Another good use for the push/pull switch is to wire it so that you can have the neck and bridge humbuckers on simultaneously (same as a LP with the switch in the middle position). I've wired lots of PRS's up that way. I never could understand why PRS didn't include it as an option. It's a very musical sound.