• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PRS with a scratch on the top...deal breaker?

GiorgioV

I'm eyeing a 2008 PRS Custom 24.

It's a nice top (not a 10 top) and cool color (blue matteo, not my favorite but it's nice), and priced okay at 1800 euros. Not a steal, but a good price.

However there's quite the visible scratch on the top.

Apparently it does NOT go down to the wood, but it is noticeable.

Is it too much in your opinion? A deal breaker? Should I haggle down the price more?

I will have the chance to check out the guitar in person before I buy so that I can decide if it's too much or if it's fine.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Player's grade guitars should come with a player's grade price. Guitars with highly visible scratches or dings fall into that category, imo.

I don't know what the market is where you are but if that is anywhere close to the price for a similar model without the noticeable scratch, it is too much and won't move.

Stuff like this doesn't bother me in the least if the price is right. Good luck on getting a good deal.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
unless you intend to do a total top refinish you need to know you love that scratch. Once you know it's there you're eye will go there first eveyrtime you pickup the guitar. It's likely any attempt to "touch-it-up" will just continue to draw attention to it. If you haven't even played it yet, go ahead and ask for another $500.00 off for the scratch - that will get you a good part of the way to a re-fin. PRS are some of the best for knowing they will play well out of the box, so the risk of getting one that plays poorly is minimal. Custom 24's are not difficult to find on the used market, especially if that blue isn't one of your favorites. Good Hunting.

Edmond

Platinum Supporting Member
If it plays well and you like it, see how much the seller would discount it for you.

If you are gigging with it and it's going to get more scratches, I'd still ask for a discount but if everything else checked out, I'd buy it.

It's a guitar, not fine china. Scratch like that won't hurt anything. Only question is if you can live with it.

Find a different one unless you plan to rough it up even more. Plenty of used stock out there.
Depends where he's at. He mentioned euros so I assume he's not in America.

Might not have as much stock his way as we do in America. Yes, he could pay less for one in America but factoring in shipping and customs, etc., might not be worth it.

wraub

I'd use the scratch as a negotiating tactic...it's possible the seller is counting on that. It also looks like the kind of thing that after a little buff and polish likely wouldn't bother me much.

Maybe offer 1500... if, of course, the scratch wouldn't bother you.

mjperkin

Silver Supporting Member
PRS has its own Repair Shop. I sent a badly(!) beaten CE there once, and it came out looking factory fresh. If you send them that guitar, they will send it back to you looking as new as the day it left the factory. A scratch doesn’t have to be a deal breaker. You got this.

RRfireblade

I don't know, it looks pretty nasty in that picture. You may be able to buff a lot of it out and it won't be as noticeable? But that's yet to be unknown. The PTC does do amazing work, but they're pretty damn expensive.

BrokenRomeo

Silver Supporting Member
If it doesn't go through to the wood, a good tech could wet sand and buff to minimize the scratch, and it wouldn't be very expensive. In my opinion, it would need to be a great deal to settle for that though...plenty of other guitars out there without big scratches.

Back at it

I don’t think I’ve ever had a mint guitar…. And I generally don’t care about scratches etc and I don’t churn guitars so for me it would be about whether I thought it was a player.

if the price is right where you are and you like the guitar I’d go for it

Alchemist XP

Silver Supporting Member
It depends ... are you buying the guitar to play the crap out of it and really enjoy the tones that come out of it?

Or are you buying it to admire its beauty?

Either way, you can probably use the scratch to negotiate.

I personally much prefer scratched up, beat up finishes. Have no interest whatsoever in owning guitars that I'm concerned about scratching. I like guitars that sound fantastic, stay in tune, have nice setup and can take a beating without folding up.

bigtone23

I feel that a guitar with a scar is a better guitar.
For those that can't handle the imperfection: all the better for guys like me!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Player's grade guitars should come with a player's grade price. Guitars with highly visible scratches or dings fall into that category, imo.

I don't know what the market is where you are but if that is anywhere close to the price for a similar model without the noticeable scratch, it is too much and won't move.

Stuff like this doesn't bother me in the least if the price is right. Good luck on getting a good deal.
As @derekd said…. Good players price? No big deal. If it’s a surface scratch on the clear coat, can be fixed fairly easily.. me. I wouldn’t care…

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a nitro-finished PRS that had originally sold for $4K, that had with several scars/chips on it, for $1,700. Great guitar, and since all of my guitars eventually get worn from gigging, the scars don't bother me at all (Hey! free relicing!)

That said, that scratch in the OP, I'd wet sand, compound and polish that, and I'd bet it will be much, much less noticeable.

rickcard71

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't let that deter me. You can get it fixed by PRS, but it would be pricey most likely and who knows, you get it fixed and scratch it later on.

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
A little cheaper and I'd play that thing proudly.

I would also try to polish it out a little bit, but it wouldn't bug me if the price was right.

RolandKorg

There are certain types of guitars on which i'd find a scratch like this more objectionable. PRS—with a top like this—are on that list.

Hard to tell from just a photo, though. Pictures can either exaggerate or diminish a flaw like this. As you say—this is possibly something you just need to see in person. I've bought things online that showed scratches or somesuch, and then when i have the thing in hand, it's so much less noticeable.

On the other hand—as noted upthread—sometimes something like this is the one thing you just immediately see and fixate on every time you look at that guitar. Hard to know how you'll react to it. I love my relics, but my non-relic guitars are pristine. I can love the dings and marks and scrapes on the relics, but if one of the others had a scratch, it would bother me. Go figure. It's all about context, right?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom