PRS with one Duncan...how do I wire it up right?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by swood2000, Dec 24, 2009.

1. swood2000

swood2000 Member

Hi all,
    I have a PRS Custom 24 that has the original neck pickup and a Duncan humbucker in the bridge position. Both the PRS and Duncan are the colored 4 wire setups. I took out the 5 way switch and put in a 3 way pickup switch off a Les Paul. So now I have a vol and tone control plus a 3 way pickup switch.

The tone control has a push/pull switch on it and I want it to put both humbuckers into single coil mode when I pull the switch UP. So when the 3 way switch is in the center position, it should be hum-canceling but not when either neck or bridge pickup is selected.

How do I wire this up? I've noticed that the PRS and Duncan color codes are NOT the same. So does anyone know the PRS color codes? I got the color code for the Duncan off their website, so I know whats going on with it now. Anyone know the color code for the PRS?

Also...I've noticed that with the 3 way switch in the neck position (on the PRS pickup) that it has a very noticable treble loss if I lower the volume control. BUT in the bridge position (with the Duncan pickup) it is NOT that way. Anybody got a solution for that problem?

Other than getting either a PRS Bridge or a Duncan Neck pickup to make them all the same brand (either all PRS or all Duncan) what is the solution?

Thanks!

2. GASattack

GASattack Member

3. swood2000

swood2000 Member

I notice that PRS has two wiring diagrams. One for the bridge and one for the neck. They swap the Blk and White wires. Can you explain that one to me?

Thanks!

4. dkals

dkals Member

5. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

They wire one coil in reverse to get the outside coils together