PSA-1 Sansamp vs amplitube plug ins

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Has anyone both of these? Which do you prefer? I am amplitube and it is nice but I have also been thinking about the sansamp plug for sometime now...

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've used the sansamp plug-in quite a bit, and it's different from what you're using, not better or worse. It sounds like a sansamp (I've compared it directly with the hardware sansamp).

What I use it for is to create a little bit of grit on certain acoustic guitar parts, or on a synth. I record the acoustic guitar or synth, copy the part, and then use the sansamp on the copied part at a lower volume. The combined tracks sound pretty cool.

3. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

if used correctly, the sansamp can sound great on vocals too!

4. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex Member

I thinkthe PSA1 is the secret weapon! One of the best pieces of gear available. I use mine to punch up drums as well as for guitar. I wonder if they will ever create a PSA1 with a USB or frirewire interface?

5. 2012studios

2012studios Member

neither one is "better" in all situations.
    they're just DIFFERENT.

if you're unhappy with your guitar sound using amp simulators... STOP!!!!

get yourself a low wattage small tube combo and an SM57 (or whatever)

seriously... there really is no comparison! amp simulators work great and sound fine, and can fit into a mix better than a mic'd signal at times... but nothing will replace a speaker pushing air. when you listen back, you can hear it translate. amp sims try to fake it... and it's a good fake... but ask yourself... would you want your girl to fake it with you... even if she was good at faking it ?

i can personally vouch for the Randall MTS line. the VERSATILITY is unmatched. the TONE is there. i have the RM20B combo. it's 15 watts with a Greenback Celestion. i can turn the master up to 10 without melting my face off, or upsetting the neighborhood. i can't do that with my 4x12 MESA... pushing those tubes hard creates the cream you'll never find in a simulation... yet.

it feels better too.

in another 5 years.... who knows. right now... i don't think anything is better than Guitar Rig 2, IMO.

using guitar plugs (i stick to GR2) on things OTHER than guitar is fun and useful. as mentioned - drums for example... synth tracks... even vocals, you never know.

good luck.

6. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

2012, HAHAHA no I hate my girl to fake it! I have a Stephenson StageHog customized for me -killer small tube amp. I just wondered about the psa-1 actually for vocals and other inst.- I saw sanamp being used on PT method one so I just thought , maybe it might be useful? Not sure, thats all

7. 2012studios

2012studios Member

personally, on rock/pop stuff i tend to shy away from plug-ins, period.

on experimental/prog/electronic/hip-hop stuff, anything goes.

i don't think using the sansamp plug on vocals wouldn't be much different from using amplitube, but YMMV.