PSA: Be Careful with your PP2 and Klon....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TerminalVertigo, Feb 2, 2012.

1. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

Hey Guys :(

Long story short.

My pedal power shipped with a faulty 3.5mm mini plug, it is supposed to be positive tipped, however mine is negative tipped.

I only found that out once I checked it with a multimeter.
    Red lead on the tip and black on the sleeve gives me between -8,9V

I only thought to check it after my klon would not power up any longer.

:mad:

Make sure to check the polarity of your cord prior to plugging your pedals in... my mistake just cost me $250 in shipping and repairs with Bill.

I've now emailed voodoo labs hoping for some sort of compensation of some sort, as this is their fault. I don't expect any financial compensation, but perhaps some free stuff would help ease the pain.

Quite upsetting.

FML.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Sorry to hear that man. Another reason why PP2+'s are not my cup of tea.

3. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

they're supposed to be negative tip.
    did you mistakenly plug it into the higher voltage spot? if so, you could fry the voltage doubling chip inside the klon - other than that, there shouldn't really be any damage though...

4. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

On their site, this is how they describe it:

3.5mm Standard Polarity (Tip Positive) Mini Plug Cable
    Vintage DOD, Electro-Harmonix & Pro Cat Rat
    Vintage (non-LED) Voodoo Lab pedals

and here are some responses from guys on this site re: the cables:

"Steve, when I had my Klon years ago, the standard 1/8 plug that came with my voodoo labs pedal power worked fine."

"Mine works fine with the VL PP SUPPLIED Cables... They fit Digitech pedals, Klons, etc. (They're of course not the BOss barrel-type ones, but the ones that look like the mini phono plug.. the male inserts into the Klon's female insert spot"

"Exactly!! I use my old Pedal Power, and a PP2 with the cables that came with it with my Klon and have for almost 10 years now for the PP and for 2-3 years with the PP2."

"Works fine guys. I use mine 3 nites a week at home and a few gigs a month for years this way. They're STD. mini plug 3.5mm cables (1/8") on the male end and normal barrel on the PP or the PP2 end"

Mine Fried my Klon, I confirmed with Bill that my cable is a neg tip, and that is incorrect.

5. chip46

chip46 Member

The 3.5mm plugs are positive tip.

Are you sure all of your DIP switches on the PP2+ were set to normal?

6. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

Yes. I've never used them and confimed they were.

Just checked their online user manual.. the switches can vary the voltage, but not switch it to negative.

Also from their manual:

"The black barrel cables included with your Pedal Power 2 Plus
    are standard polarity center negative. The 3.5mm mini plug is tip
    positive, which is also standard for pedals which use this connector."

7. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

sorry i missed the 3.5mm mini part.
    odd since they don't sell 3.5mm negative tip cables. i would ask voodoo labs if this is something that has happened in the past, too.

8. chip46

chip46 Member

Yeah. If they've had a bad batch of cables go through, then it's likely you aren't the only one. If you are the only one, they may have you send the cable in to double check, since I'm sure they get people wanting compensation all the time because of something they think was wrong with the product when in fact it was user error (not saying this is your case).

VL couldn't afford to compensate everyone who fried their pedals with a faulty adapter, but if the cable was bad from the get-go, then there should be grounds for compensation. Not sure if they'll give you money towards repairs or not (never seen an issue like this before, so idk their policy), but they'll replace the cable for sure.

9. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

Yeah, I can't see any other situation where the cable would measure negative at the tip, unless it was faulty, if they don't manufacture the same type of cable in a negative end.

if all they offer me is a replacement cord that would just be salt in the wounds at this point.

10. chip46

chip46 Member

Well they should replace the cable regardless. Hopefully under these circumstances they'll offer compensation sense the problem was on their end completely. Like I said though, this is the first time I've ever seen someone damage a pedal because of a faulty cable from the factory, so I don't know their policy.

11. meterman

meterman Member

ouch! sorry to hear that man especially with that pedal. 3.5mm jacks are definitely positive tip in general I've used them with RATs and MXRs.

Was it a molded plastic end on the cable or did it look like they assembled it?

FWIW I've had great luck with my old Pedal Powers and have also gotten some very good customer service from Voodoo Labs. Hope you get it sorted...

12. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

I'm at work, but it didnt look assembled, it's molded.

13. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

It's a cable problem. Not the PP2.

14. b3john

b3john Member

Positive tip power connection designs need to DIAF. Or at least be wired to not melt down the guts of a pedal (figuratively speaking).

If only there was a component that passed DC in one direction while blocking it the other... :huh

15. meterman

meterman Member

that's very strange indeed, good luck with it like I say VL has been cool to me in the past. And at least you got your pedal fixed, painful as it may be...

16. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

slightly OT, but... it was $250 to get it repaired by the original builder of the pedal? :huh

17. chip46

chip46 Member

Yeah they should really invent something like that :p

I was wondering about this myself. It's a repair that shouldn't cost over $10.

18. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

$165 for a board replacement, i have to ship it there, and he is asking for me to include $41 for return shipping.

19. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I was thinking the same thing.

20. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I'm in the wrong business.:omg