PSA: Bill Asher's new S style guitars - really cool!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Dana Olsen, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hi Kids -

Bill emailed me some pics of his new "S style" guitars - he's only built two of 'em so far - here's some pics, they look great to me!

I haven't heard or played one ... yet, but Bill makes some of the best sounding, best playing guitars I've ever tried - I have no doubt these will be a real home run, like my Ultra T is.

I don't have specific specs yet as to wood, hardware and pickups, but here are some cool pics. Looks like there's a little relief work done at the neck heel for better access to the upper frets - check out the pic from the back - you'll see it there.

A little Red number:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And a blue one (looks like the finish might be slightly relic'd):

[​IMG]

Nice grain in the neck wood:

[​IMG]

Rear view:

[​IMG]

Nice Job Bill - really cool!

Thanks, Dana O.

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I really dislike when guys do Strat types but change the body...it always looks like an after thought to me but thats sexy!

I'd LOVE to have an Asher but for now I have to be happy with my Strats and Teles!

3. korby

korby Member

Nice . Headstock looks like ...........

[​IMG]

4. Dana Olsen

^^^^^^^^

I hear ya - of course, to a degree, they ALL do, that is, they ALL look like the Paul Bixby original version - even Leo's (GRIN).

With Fender so protective (understandably) of their copyrighted head stock shape, it's interesting to see what builders do with THEIR shapes to avoid legal challenges from the "BIG F".

I myself am not concerned about head stock shapes - for me it's about playability and tone, but it's still interesting to note the various head stock shapes out there.

Thanks, Dana O.

5. snarkle

snarkle Member

Just last week I was thinking that Asher's mutant T-styles were the only new Fendery things that had caught my attention in a long time. And then these come along...

I'm a life-long Strat player, and like these a lot!

6. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Do we have any idea if this headstock shape is going to avoid the legal challenge ? First thing I thought when I saw it was wow, pretty sweet, i kinda like it. Second thought was He's gonna get the letter.

7. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Very cool! I really like what Bill has done with the headstock and the body. I think he has modified the headstock enough to avoid any problems with Fender.
    I better start saving....

8. Dana Olsen

I think he's far enough away from Fender's design that there's no chance he'll get "The Letter" from them.

Plus, I dig the relief carving on the head stock. These days, I think everybody who builds "S" or "T" style guitars does their homework so they can avoid any chance of offending a large corporation's legal department - NOBODY want's to go head-to-head with a company that has pockets that deep ...

Thanks, Dana O.

9. cugel

cugel Member

isnt that the same body as his other ultratone s? only 3sc pups and a diff headstock?
    i love my ultratone

10. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Um....no. I love his Tele and the other body.
    This one is too familiar for him.

11. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Yes the body looks like the ultratone. I love the T but this one not so much.

12. billasher

billasher Member

Yes, I know that I have diverted on this one from my more unique blending of features. But I keep getting a few players coming through the shop saying "I like the feel and tone of your guitars but can't get used not having a 6-inline headstock on that style guitar. So I thought I would try to come up with something of an S-Classic.

I built just these two using my more curvy offset body and shaped a headstock inspired by Bigsby where this all began. Most likely, I will only make a few of these a year by custom order for those that prefer a more classic Strat build. Or the consensus may be that I stay away from anything close to a "clone", and these will be the only two. We shall see and thanks for your input. Bill

13. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Having said that I would love to own the red one~

14. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

That was actually kinda like my 3rd thought. Mr. Asher would be fully aware of this and not do anything to step on anybody's toes. I'm sure he did his homework. Either way I love it. His work is on my short list of to own before the years end. Love the bevel under his signature. Very classy. The CAR is killer. The headstocks on both actually look a little different. I'm not sure if that's just the pics though. I wonder if theres plans for a shrunken version on his T style. That would probably look killer. It would almost be ashame not to use his 3 on a side on one of he's T's. i've always like that look.

15. myjeh

myjeh Member

I really like these guitars. IMO, these guitars reflect tradtional and mordern aspects of Strats in the Asher guitar way. Asher guitars have elegant curvy bodies. A 6-inline headstock looks like between Fender Strats and Bigsby guitars with a little bit of Asher guitar touchs. I tried the blue one and really liked the sound and playing feel.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  16. amc

amc Member

what a fantastic s-style beauty.

classy...................

17. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

The blue one is going to have a new home very soon...

18. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

19. Dana Olsen

Hey Al -

You're STOKED! Make sure to report back when you receive it and give us a little tone and playability report - we're ALL living vicariously through YOU on this one (GRIN).

Congrats, great choice (GRIN), Dana O.

20. eddie101

eddie101 Member

Ok. I'm confused - as usual. Is Bill offering two different shapes of HS for his S style guitar? :huh

FWIW, I much prefer this HS over the other which reminds me of an ol'Bigsby HS.