PSA - Buscarino / Chinery Blue archtop! Only $20k!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jmoose, Jun 23, 2019.

1. jmoose

jmoose Member

I know these don't come up very often but maybe someone here's got the itch.

My local shop, the Music Den in NJ took this in several months ago. Got it from a player who did gig it and passed away... they bought it and a couple other things from his family.

No real affiliation besides being my local store to buy strings & pedals. Its protected in a glass case in the acoustic room but should be out there in circulation. I'll say it is easily one of the most expensive pieces in the store and I'm sure they'd be willing to deal a bit for a serious buyer.

Regardless its damn cool guitar!

https://reverb.com/item/15352669-buscarino-virtuoso-1998-chinery-blue-w-ohsc

[​IMG]

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Man, that is gorgeous! Second mortgage, perhaps?

I've gotten to play a couple of Buscarinos over the years. Outstanding guitars.

jmoose likes this.
  3. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Wow! Have heard of Buscarino, but never seen one. Beautiful!

Ok I must be the guy that mentions: $40 for shipping? :eek: :p

jmoose and derekd like this.
  4. jmoose

jmoose Member

Yeah right?! I think it might be a requirement of their reverb store on used gear. Obviously I'm pretty sure we all realize that shipping an archtop anywhere, especially insurance on something like this is going to be several times the $40 bucks. But go ahead & make an offer I know they'll listen...

I haven't played it myself. I'm sure they'd spring it from the hermetically sealed glass case if I really wanted to but have no desire. On the flip side I do ogle it every time I go into the store... pictures really do NOT do it justice. Stunning guitar in person.

derekd likes this.
  5. Carlo

Carlo Gold Supporting Member

I remember Steve Howe and Martin Taylor with the "Blue Guitars" CD they did using the Chinery collection.

TDJMB and jmoose like this.
  6. Dane Kurnhart

Dane Kurnhart Member

The ad does not exactly say this blue Buscarino is the actual blue Buscarino from the BIg Guy's guitar collection. Anyone who is really interested in it (It's nice) needs confirmation that it's the actual guitar from the actual "blue guitar" collection.

jads57 likes this.
  7. Rob Taft

Rob Taft Supporting Member

It is not the guitar from Scott Chinery's collection. It is painted in "Chinery" blue. The Chinery Buscarino was very ornate i.e heavy fretboard inlay.

jmoose likes this.
  8. 2020jan08

2020jan08 Member

Piece of art. Dood! Not wild about the color, I must say. (As if I was in the target group LOL)

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There appears to be another one for sale for $12,500, looks almost identical?

10. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I used to hang at the shop in largo FL and loved John’s work. You can still find guitars made under the Nova name that are his, great electric solidbody guitars. John had a Jim Kelley FACS amp in his shop as the demo amp, I think I hung out there to play the amp as much as the geetars.....love John, he is a really cool builder and was really nice to me back in the day. Love that he has become such a respected arch top builder.

jmoose likes this.
  11. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

My friend Kim Walker built a guitar for that collection.
    It was really over the top ornate, but an amazing display of artistry.
    The guitar he made for me sounds better though:)

Tag and jmoose like this.
  12. Gane Kurnhart

Gane Kurnhart Member

I heard, (maybe too long ago?) that the family kept the blue collection; if any?
    I guess not?

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure they sold at least some of it-prices were stout to say the least!

14. jmoose

jmoose Member

This isn't "the guitar" from the collection, just a similar one in identical color. It wasn't like Chinery had an exclusive on the color...

I actually know someone else who built pieces for the collection, Tom Barth made Tommyhawk mini acoustic travel guitars. At the time he was building, I think 3 or 4 identical blue ones for the collection. Mostly because if something happened in the build process, the wood split or whatever he'd have one to deliver without starting over. I know Tom's family kept at least one of the backups... not sure about the rest but they might be in circulation.

Anyway the Buscarino is still available, call the store and ask for AJ DeLong.

bobmc likes this.
  15. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I believe this same guitar is listed for sale at Jazz Guitar Forum as well. John Buscarino makes wonderful Archtops among the best I've ever played.
    That said, why would this guitar be worth more than any other used similar Virtuouso, especially if it doesnt have any historical or owner associated pedigree?

16. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

Buscarino! Buscatola!

[​IMG]

derekd likes this.
  17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

And I saw the two of them play the blue guitars together live at the Smithsonian’s American History (that’s what it was called then) Museum’s auditorium when the Smithsonian was hosting the Blue Guitars Exhibit - an experience I’ll cherish to the end of my days.

I’d always admired Howe and always will but, if the truth be known, Taylor schooled us all that night.

jmoose, 56Tweed, derekd and 1 other person like this.
  18. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Martin Taylor is a magician on guitar, particularly solo.

All those years playing with Stephan Grappelli when he was younger, and then 30 years of a solo career have made him an absolute monster.

Before all this hit, he would perform with Ulf Wakenius. Those two are incredible together.

19. DRS

DRS Member

I think Taylor is one of a group of about 5 players that are the best in the world. When you get to his level, there is no best - just variations on fantastic.

derekd likes this.
  20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Walker makes (made??) phenomenal guitars. He ran Guild I believe and made the Artist Awards for a while. The late Stan Jay told me that all the best bluegrass players use to go into Mandolin brothers and swear Walker made the finest sounding flat tops. He said the day they came in they were sold. He could never keep one in stock.

Buscarino makes incredible guitars as well. I was lucky enough to own three of them. Each stunning. A guy flew to my house in NJ from Italy just to play one I was selling and bought it on the spot!
    :eek: