• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PSA: Ebay Amp Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolainNB

In my experience it has. It is low, and it sucks, but which is worse? Calling out people who are complicit with a scammer and getting your money back, or taking the high road and letting thieves get away with it? For me, I'll be damned if I won't get down in the mud and get my $1500 back. Sh*t happens.
I’d say it worked in spite of the F bombs. Not disagreeing with the principle. Gotta fight

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Reverb operates the same way. If someone says the product is not as described, there isn't much you can do about it. Sold something a few weeks back on Ebay. I had proof that what they buyer was saying was wrong. Ebay told me that once its returned they could take a look at the details. At that point what was done was done. They had refunded all the money to the buyer and the product was back in my possession. What a joke it's become.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
And before anyone replies with "why are you selling on ebay???" Yes I know. It's awful. I had a Mesa Mark amp that just wasn't selling on Reverb or Craigslist. I figured I'd throw it on Ebay as a last resort. After a couple weeks, got a bite. Non-paying buyer. great. Relisted. A few days later it was legit purchased.

A week after the buyer got it he messages me saying it's broken and he's submitting a return request which was automatically approved. I was mad because I bought Fedex shipping insurance for it, but he returned it before I could even contact him to file a report with Fedex.

I received the amp back. Wait. Let me correct that statement. I RECEIVED THE HEAD SHELL. He sent me back the empty head shell. Not kidding you.

I immediately filed a claim with ebay with photo evidence and proof of what went down. They looked it over for 4 days. I got a message yesterday telling me that the buyer was being fully refunded for the return since they "returned the item in reasonable condition."

And that's the story of how an ebay buyer scammed me out of $1500.

Update: I contacted Ebay via Facebook like someone suggested and did indeed get a response from a real rep.

"As eBay does not have a physical relationship to the product we trust you as the seller to list accurately and ship safely. In turn, we also trust the buyer to return what they received. Because of this, we are unable to grant any appeal on this case."

More updates
So at this point, the situation has gotten pretty pathetic.

Called the county PD of the buyer's county location. They told me that they could not file a report on this because this is a civil matter between myself, the buyer and ebay. They said to take it up with them because they don't consider this a criminal matter. Sounded to me like they get this kind of phone call every few months and they say the same thing to everyone. "Oh ebay? Yeah...civil matter, we don't care."

I informed ebay via email that I had filed a claim with the BBB. This is the response I got back from a staff member...

"Thank you for contacting eBayregarding the case decision
We understand that this transaction did not went well with your buyer and reason for return as selling flat form we really don't have the control with how the transaction will end up.
I understand this wasn’t the resolution you were looking for, but I trust I’ve explained our position. I wish you the best for all future transactions."

So yeah. At this point I basically give up. Police don't want to help. Ebay doesn't seem to think that a BBB report is even worth using proper grammar to respond to me.

What is the ebay user name so we can block them?

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
Public shaming is probably the best way to get Ebays attention. This is beyond acceptable....

kafka

eBay removed the listing completely as part of the "Resolution" I was given. I demanded they give me 100% of my fees back at least. They removed the listing totally because of that. In their system it was never sold or for sale.

This is a weird thing that they do when it's been challenged or under appeal. They also removed my listing, even though they eventually awarded me the appeal.

scook

This question is for the attorneys out there. Can the OP treat this as a stolen gear case, and register the serial number on every available database?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-recover-your-lost-or-stolen-phones-tablets-and-other-devices/

This way, if the amp shows up in a pawn shop, it will be flagged as stolen. Nail the SOB buyer who is ruining the lives of innocent sellers. Bet he has pulled this scam multiple times.
Assuming the facts in the OP are true, the buyer would not have valid title to the gear... so yes, register away... but it probably won't do much good here given the nature of what was stolen (amp guts, as opposed to a whole amp).

redragon

Silver Supporting Member
Like a lot of retailers, eBay has turned into a fire hose for Chinese garbage. They care not a whit about peer to peer selling. More fees from 900 consecutive listings of the same item.

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't tweet, but good on you. Still don't understand why the OP has not listed the buyers name, address and any other details that he may have. This guy needs to be shamed....

Daniel Travis

This question is for the attorneys out there. Can the OP treat this as a stolen gear case, and register the serial number on every available database?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-recover-your-lost-or-stolen-phones-tablets-and-other-devices/

This way, if the amp shows up in a pawn shop, it will be flagged as stolen. Nail the SOB buyer who is ruining the lives of innocent sellers. Bet he has pulled this scam multiple times.

This. I GUARANTEE this eBay buyer has done this multiple times.

Daniel Travis

I think we all need to see his name and address.....find any and all ways to publicly humiliate him....

I agree. This is JUST like the myriad "don't give money to X builder" posts in principle

I see no reason whatsoever why OP can't name and shame, and hopefully keep others from selling to this "buyer"

Wizard of Ozz

Gold Supporting Member
Ask them how theft and fraud are civil matters? I'm curious to hear that explanation.

They all defined this as a “he said/she said” matter. No proof, no eye-witnesses, no video. No record of theft. The buyer could claim it arrived that way. One of my family members in law enforcement, spouse is a lawyer... and she just said the same thing. There is no record of theft... the burden of proof is on the seller.

Don’t take my word for it. Let’s see what happens when the OP contacts the Police. Does anyone really think they are going to send a car or detectives out to investigate a case of possible alleged eBay theft/fraud. C’mon.

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm :messedup:messedup:messedup:messedup

Daniel Travis

This thread infuriates me.

Guys like this "eBay buyer" are why the vast majority of us can't buy, sell, and trade gear without layers of BS bureaucracy.

The vast majority of us are basically the same. Except for a handful of scammers on one end, and a handful of OCD tire kickers on the other.

I ONLY sell as-is on reverb because of this crap.

And everytime one of you messages me on an item, asking why, I'm just going to direct you to this post.

SurfGreenTele

I don't tweet, but good on you. Still don't understand why the OP has not listed the buyers name, address and any other details that he may have. This guy needs to be shamed....

I guess he's hoping to resolve it some other way before taking it to that level haha. But, it probably would be good to share the guy's info. Since the OP doesn't have Facebook or Instagram, those of us who do could possibly check to see if the buyer was dumb enough to post any public photos of his new 'purchase' by any chance.

Wizard of Ozz

Gold Supporting Member
This isn't really a debate. Theft is a criminal act!

Where’s the proof of theft? Is there a video... any eye-witnesses... any one see the buyer using the allegedly stolen amp? Again... you need proof... where? On whom does that burden of proof lie.

You sure you are a lawyer?!? :confused :bong

apalazzolo

Silver Supporting Member
I guess he's hoping to resolve it some other way before taking it to that level haha. But, it probably would be good to share the guy's info. Since the OP doesn't have Facebook or Instagram, those of us who do could possibly check to see if the buyer was dumb enough to post any public photos of his new 'purchase' by any chance.
Unless the whole thing is one big troll and the OP is sitting back and laughing his a$$ off.

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
First off, this is all assuming the details are complete and accurate from @james... - which we have no proof of. His case may be rather thin, and he does seem the type to dislike confrontation (which is the unfortunate basis of our entire legal apparatus), so we don't know how these interactions have really gone. "Politeness" is almost certainly his enemy, here, but...

The police do not enforce or arbitrate Ebay deals gone bad.

This isn't an "Ebay deal gone bad". This is mail fraud, and in the state of Georgia theft of anything over $500 is to be treated as a felony. That isn't a "deal gone bad" any more than a carjacking is a "deal gone bad". A "deal gone bad" is receiving an item not as described, not not receiving the item at all!

This is likely grand theft depending on the dollar amount in the state statute.

Indeed it is, in Georgia, though we don't know what state the buyer was in, and the jurisdictional stuff can get a bit murky.

Does anyone really think they are going to send a car or detectives out to investigate a case of possible alleged eBay theft/fraud.

If they don't, then they are failing to do their jobs, full stop. Take badge numbers and report them. Contact their DA's office. Talk to their county sheriff's office. REPORT THEM. Because that is what their job is - not to send the car (though they should, that part could be seen as non-essential), but to at least register that a felony has occurred. If they refuse to do that much - if they treat a felony, as tenuous as it may be, as a "deal gone bad" - then they are simply not doing their jobs.

You are casually saying that a form of police corruption - namely, ignoring that a felony may have been committed [for any reason] - is not just "understandable", but it would be ridiculous to expect otherwise. How can you live with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom