PSA: Fractal sale

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hippietim, Nov 13, 2017.

1. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Those prices are great
    I will be honest though in my gut I think a new model is coming soon
    Maybe I am totally off base but the firmware updates have slowed considerably since about May
    And this price is really good.
    It doesn't matter either way as I have the AX8 and I think
    It's a great product if someone was intrested in the Fractal line it's a good time to buy in IMO

ak301, slowerhand, willyboy and 2 others like this.
  2. Elric

Elric Member

+1. Pace of FW updates really slowed over the last year. Feels like Cliff may be working on some HW updates or a new product.
    That, said: the AFX2 and AX8 are insanely good gear and are easily good enough to be a 'final' solution for the tone seeking guitarist. I do not have big plans to unload mine if a new unit drops. I will probably retire from 'gear' forums for a while though to avoid gas for anything new.

OddJobb and JiveTurkey like this.
  3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yowza! I'd buy one in a heartbeat. . Woops, oh yea, already have one that I paid a bunch more for. . Great deals

Eric

4. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Ha... "Soon"

Seriously though. I'll give the next iteration of floor modeler a run... The display, onboard editing and footswitch workflow options didn't quite hook me this first model. Cliff's no dummy.... he'll probably knock the next iteration out of the park.... He got the tones right but didn't quite nail the user experience. Hopefully he'll consult with a qualified design engineer and really hit it on the mark.

5. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

wonder how long the sale will be for? got some fundage that will not be available until tomorrow.

6. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Those are great prices. If you're thinking about hopping on the Fractal train, that's a pretty sweet entry point.

I look forward to seeing what Cliff does down the line.

7. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Through November, I think.

8. Jarick

Jarick Member

Wow, that is really cheap!

Last year AX8 dropped from $1399 to $1299. I think last month they dropped to $1199 and now $1099.

Definitely seems like there's a new model on the horizon, which is interesting. They went six months without a FW update this year. Maybe Helix is really cutting into their sales?

Would be very curious to see if/when there is a new model out what it looks like. Big color screen + joystick + a little more DSP would be killer.

Also...crazy that I paid $1299 for mine last year and ended up selling it for $1300.

9. jmtaylor22

jmtaylor22 Member

The editing was/is a pain, but honestly my biggest complaints were the lack of audio interface to work as an all in one, and the lack of processing power. I could have lived with the UI, but I ran into constant DSP issues, and of course no audio interface.

dr150, mbenigni, mikah912 and 2 others like this.
  10. Jarick

Jarick Member

Very true. I love that I can work with the Helix as easily on the unit as on the PC. But flexibility is huge as well...I can run four delays if I want or three amps or whatever I want.

Between 2.3 (and new reverbs next year) and whatever Fractal announces, it will be a fun 2018.

Kemper could make it really interesting with a floor unit too!

mbenigni, mikah912, JerEvil and 2 others like this.
  11. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

In terms of the UI, Helix has a more intuitive front panel, though I'd take Axe-Edit over the Helix editor any day of the week. As far as using the unit as an audio interface, I prefer comparing Line 6's flagship to Fractal Audio's flagship.

Elric and Elantric like this.
  12. Jarick

Jarick Member

I didn't have a strong preference for either Axe Edit or Helix Editor. Axe seemed a little more stable than Helix, but any changes on the floor unit interrupt the Axe editor where Helix continues to work. Both could be more stable for sure.

13. 3dognate

Line 6 has a rack mounted Flagship to Compare to the Fractal Rack mounted Flagship and a near feature for feature Floor equivalent to that Rack version

They have a non-flagship floor unit in the Helix LT.... Perhaps the LT is the better AX8 Comparison. And given the tone is on equal footing (lets not debate that here.) the LT on features alone still out features the AX8 by quite a bit.

14. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

The features that are important to me are nonexistent in Helix's flagship.

The LT is the apropos comparison.

It depends on which features we're talking about. In terms of amp/cab/effects tweakability, the AX8 is far more versatile.

stairs likes this.
  15. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

If Fractal is coming out with a new product, please get rid of the preset/snapshot latency!

3dognate likes this.
  16. journo

journo Member

For some strange reason, this doesn't seem to be the case with g66, the European distributor.

Cheers,

Mats N

17. 3dognate

Don't leave me hanging bro.... what features are those? I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what they might be.... Polyphonic Pitch and Synth are the only things I'm coming up with. (hoping L6 drops polyphony on us eventually)

Versatile.... might not be the word I'd use. "Exhaustive" might suit it better... versatile might indicate that there are situations that I can't cover with Helix... but we're just talking deep parameters (that I swear I can't always tell actually do much if anything.) The deep parameters in the Fractal stuff is certainly deep. But often contains things I could care less about, but are there for those that do for sure.

JerEvil likes this.
  18. 3dognate

That ultimately was the deal breaker for me as X/Y couldn't allow me to do gapless amp switching. I had a few UI gripes but switching latency forced my workflow in a direction that I didn't care for.

JerEvil and bdrepko like this.
  19. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Yeah i think it is fair to say not only is Fractal coming with a new model "soon" but they have no choice but to up the ante on the interface and workflow.

Jarrett, Jarick and 3dognate like this.